Cold War Light Tanks - What are we hoping to see?

Light tanks CW

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

DaffierPear6 #1 Posted 05 June 2021 - 04:39 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 35302 battles
  • [1CAB]

Let's kick this off!  What tanks are we hoping to see in CW when the Lights come in in July?

We know there will be a number of variants of Sheridans for the Western Alliance, but what about the Eastern Alliance?  Will we see BMP/BMD's?

Will we see Lights from nations other than the US and the USSR?

Personally I hope we see the Scimitar (British) and hopefully the Bradley IFV.

Any others you can think of?

PhonicKitty8825 #2 Posted 05 June 2021 - 05:54 AM

Major

• Players
  • 27007 battles
  • [1CAB]
The South African wheeled Rooikat comes to mind, as do various improvements of the AMX 13 and modern French wheeled vehicles. 

3rd MoE: IS-7, IS-3, M.O.B.A.T., M24 Chaffee '53, T-44A, T-72AV, M113, M551 Sheridan 

Pls give the IS-7 10° of gd!

SeeYou5uka-x #3 Posted 05 June 2021 - 07:06 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 46242 battles
  • [IFEAR]
Wire guided atm's , laser guided atm's etc how is testing going for these weapon systems ? Most scout vehicles are armed with these not anti tank guns ! Or low pen autocannons ! See Armoured warfare/warthunder! These lot struggle to code tank shells at 1700mps(metrespersecond) gl with missiles. You should be asking when is artie dropping ! Everyone knows putin is artie main. Wg have to add it by law . 

l_Ravagyr_l-p #4 Posted 05 June 2021 - 07:33 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20608 battles
  • [PLEB-]
Only one thing to hope for MA lights. A permanent end to dumb vision. We can only hope that saner minds prevail and spotting is reimplemented with a proper vision mechanic.

ElderTigerJedi #5 Posted 05 June 2021 - 08:06 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28209 battles
  • [1CAB]
Any other variants to what we are playing now will be welcome

Tyrzun #6 Posted 05 June 2021 - 10:12 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 18653 battles
  • [MGACE]

View Postl_Ravagyr_l-p, on 05 June 2021 - 07:33 AM, said:

Only one thing to hope for MA lights. A permanent end to dumb vision. We can only hope that saner minds prevail and spotting is reimplemented with a proper vision mechanic.

Did you seriously attempt to bash true vision for a "proper" vision mechanic?

Oh you mean the one where 40,000lb+ tanks sitting on a hill in the wide open, blasting massive cannons with fireballs shooting out over 4 metes long while shaking the very earth itself for over a mile stay hidden behind a magical invisible wall?  You mean THAT WW2 mechanic is for the "sane" and it's not dumb?  Give me a break.

Perhaps you are aware that people that are literally insane have no grasp of reality yes? 

Hmm the vision mechanic that knows the human eye can in fact see things that are huge over 1KM away very easily.  Putting a big camo colored sheet over it doesn't make it disappear. 

Not to mention what happens when the thing starts moving...

By the way they have never used "light" tanks to spot in WW2 or modern war.  That's done by boots on the ground, tanks are NOT stealthy. 

You are welcome to enjoy "fake vision" ww2 and hate realism vision in CW all you like.

The truth sounds like hate to those that hate the truth.  Change is the enemy of the prideful.

Tyrzun #7 Posted 05 June 2021 - 10:32 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 18653 battles
  • [MGACE]

View PostDaffierPear6-x, on 05 June 2021 - 04:39 AM, said:

Let's kick this off!  What tanks are we hoping to see in CW when the Lights come in in July?

We know there will be a number of variants of Sheridans for the Western Alliance, but what about the Eastern Alliance?  Will we see BMP/BMD's?

Will we see Lights from nations other than the US and the USSR?

Personally I hope we see the Scimitar (British) and hopefully the Bradley IFV.

Any others you can think of?

There aren't any light tanks, not in the way people zoom around in WW2.  They don't get to run behind the magical invisible curtain.  Zooming around fast makes a tank much easier to see in fact that a slot tank, because the fast tank kicks up so much debris.  In real war soldiers on the ground do the spotting.

I have been very curious about this topic though. 

The "light" tanks use missiles and have for a long time, well most of them.  The missiles attack from the top, straight down on the tank usually.  Russia's newest tanks have made that tactic obsolete(I'm sure the west has scrambled to catch up), but all other tanks die easily to those missiles.  Obviously the game isn't going to have boots on the ground lazing targets for the missile launcher.  So, my guess is they will go with LOS(line of sight) for target acquisition.  I figure at that point the smoke screens will be far more valuable.  Are they going to classify them as TDs?

I do not see them implementing arty in CW as it existed in WW2.  Arty will be zapped by all enemy tanks very easily, because there isn't a magical invisible wall to hide behind. 

I know of a couple IFVs(Infantry Fighting Vehicle) that do have "periscopes" to view over objects.

Considering the old USSR had multiple heavy threads in the WW2 trees.  I figure they'll do the same in CW, because as much as they want to pretend the T-72 is not a T-80, I'm sure we shall see it.

The Germans have their Leopards and of course the Brits have their Challenger lines to add.  I would be they add those others countries lines in with their MBTs, before we get the IFVs.

They probably will add the BMP and Bradley lines first as you suggested. 

There are a lot of questions and no real answers.  It is fun to try and guess on what they are going to do.

The truth sounds like hate to those that hate the truth.  Change is the enemy of the prideful.

UrticateArc6122 #8 Posted 05 June 2021 - 12:22 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 11743 battles
Maybe the British Scorpion? An 82km/h top speed sounds like fun.

"Sooner or later, all games become serious." - J.G. Ballard

Pit Friend #9 Posted 05 June 2021 - 12:28 PM

Major

• Players
  • 39640 battles
  • [PTATO]
If they add ATGMs to work with light vehicles there will really be a use for those smoke launcher consumables.

I don’t know how to act my age! I’ve never been this old before!

Offroadx65-x #10 Posted 05 June 2021 - 03:19 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15508 battles

View PostTyrzun-x, on 05 June 2021 - 10:32 AM, said:

There aren't any light tanks, not in the way people zoom around in WW2.  They don't get to run behind the magical invisible curtain.  Zooming around fast makes a tank much easier to see in fact that a slot tank, because the fast tank kicks up so much debris.  In real war soldiers on the ground do the spotting.

I have been very curious about this topic though. 

The "light" tanks use missiles and have for a long time, well most of them.  The missiles attack from the top, straight down on the tank usually.  Russia's newest tanks have made that tactic obsolete(I'm sure the west has scrambled to catch up), but all other tanks die easily to those missiles.  Obviously the game isn't going to have boots on the ground lazing targets for the missile launcher.  So, my guess is they will go with LOS(line of sight) for target acquisition.  I figure at that point the smoke screens will be far more valuable.  Are they going to classify them as TDs?

I do not see them implementing arty in CW as it existed in WW2.  Arty will be zapped by all enemy tanks very easily, because there isn't a magical invisible wall to hide behind. 

I know of a couple IFVs(Infantry Fighting Vehicle) that do have "periscopes" to view over objects.

Considering the old USSR had multiple heavy threads in the WW2 trees.  I figure they'll do the same in CW, because as much as they want to pretend the T-72 is not a T-80, I'm sure we shall see it.

The Germans have their Leopards and of course the Brits have their Challenger lines to add.  I would be they add those others countries lines in with their MBTs, before we get the IFVs.

They probably will add the BMP and Bradley lines first as you suggested. 

There are a lot of questions and no real answers.  It is fun to try and guess on what they are going to do.

Artillery will be fun to watch how they do it, as it's very large part of modern warfare. Plus does the attack helicopter brigade assigned to armor divisions count as scouts or artillery?

Both scouts missiles, air munitions, and artillery can all take advantage of ground or air based laser designation. Often spec forces or ground pounder provided. Be interesting to see how or if they simulate that.

geewizz-x #11 Posted 05 June 2021 - 03:28 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 27940 battles
So the 60 km/h heavies aren’t fast enough for you? 
17 Tier X tanks. T110E5, T57 Heavy, T110E3, T110E4, FV215b, FV215b 183, E100, Jg.Pz. E 100, WT auf E100, B-C 25t, AMX 50 B, Foch 155
                      T-62A, Obj. 430, IS-7, IS-4, Obj. 268.

x_BAlN_x #12 Posted 05 June 2021 - 03:30 PM

Major

• Players
  • 79619 battles

View Postl_Ravagyr_l-p, on 05 June 2021 - 01:33 AM, said:

dumb post of the day

PhonicKitty8825 #13 Posted 05 June 2021 - 03:31 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27007 battles
  • [1CAB]

View Postgeewizz-x, on 05 June 2021 - 03:28 PM, said:

So the 60 km/h heavies aren’t fast enough for you? 

New ways to kill youself. Yay... 

3rd MoE: IS-7, IS-3, M.O.B.A.T., M24 Chaffee '53, T-44A, T-72AV, M113, M551 Sheridan 

Pls give the IS-7 10° of gd!

Offroadx65-x #14 Posted 05 June 2021 - 03:32 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15508 battles

Tanks? Wheelie boys at almost 100kmh:)

https://en.m.wikiped..._Patrol_Vehicle

Or 130 Kmh

https://en.m.wikiped..._Strike_Vehicle

Pajonate-x #15 Posted 05 June 2021 - 03:42 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17589 battles
  • [47R]

View PostTyrzun-x, on 05 June 2021 - 05:12 AM, said:

Did you seriously attempt to bash true vision for a "proper" vision mechanic?

Oh you mean the one where 40,000lb+ tanks sitting on a hill in the wide open, blasting massive cannons with fireballs shooting out over 4 metes long while shaking the very earth itself for over a mile stay hidden behind a magical invisible wall?  You mean THAT WW2 mechanic is for the "sane" and it's not dumb?  Give me a break.

Perhaps you are aware that people that are literally insane have no grasp of reality yes? 

Hmm the vision mechanic that knows the human eye can in fact see things that are huge over 1KM away very easily.  Putting a big camo colored sheet over it doesn't make it disappear. 

Not to mention what happens when the thing starts moving...

By the way they have never used "light" tanks to spot in WW2 or modern war.  That's done by boots on the ground, tanks are NOT stealthy. 

You are welcome to enjoy "fake vision" ww2 and hate realism vision in CW all you like.

You understand that this is a game, right? You are sweating too much to prove your love for TV, and that is great, but why are you complaining if someone does not share the same ideas with you.

There are so many instances in this game that are not close to real world. Trying to prove point that TV is real and the invisible walls are fake is pointless. In this game many things are not even close to real, but they work for majority of the players. WW2 has not TV and majority is not even asking for it. CW has it, and whoever enjoys it, plays there.

This game is not preparing you to be a real life tank commander/operator, so comparing it with real life is not serving any purpose. Play what you like, but do not bash people because they are not agreeing with you.

What was your reaction when they had tanks bouncing on the Moon, few years back? :)

Edited by Pajonate-x, 05 June 2021 - 04:02 PM.

Offroadx65-x #16 Posted 05 June 2021 - 03:49 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15508 battles

View PostPajonate-x, on 05 June 2021 - 03:42 PM, said:

You understand that this is a game, right? You are sweating too much to prove your love for TV, and that is great, but why are you complaining if someone does not share the same ideas with you.

There are so many instances in this game that are not close to real world, so trying to prove point that TV is real and the invisible walls are fake to reality is just one of many things that are not real, but they work for majority of players. WW2 has not TV and majority is not even asking for it. CW has it, and whoever enjoys it, plays there.

This game is not preparing you to be a real life tank commander/operator, so comparing it with real life is not serving any purpose. Play what you like, but do not bash people because they are not agreeing with you.

What was your reaction when they had tanks bouncing on the Moon, few years back? :)

What will a scout laser designator team be in TV at 1000 yds? 1 pixel?

Offroadx65-x #17 Posted 05 June 2021 - 03:51 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15508 battles

View PostPajonate-x, on 05 June 2021 - 03:42 PM, said:

There are so many instances in this game that are not close to real world, so trying to prove point that TV is real and the invisible walls are fake to reality is just one of many things that are not real, but they work for majority of players. WW2 has not TV and majority is not even asking for it. CW has it, and whoever enjoys it, plays there.

What will a scout laser designator team be in TV at 1000 yds? 1 pixel? Eyestrain x1000

https://en.m.wikiped...Afghanistan.jpg

That's what funny about the false TV claims, it's not more realistic as objects are not visible indefinitely, why armies still use camo nets, ect. But even assuming it was.....a mode without scouts/Lt tanks and artillery is a less realistic mode then one that includes them.

Pajonate-x #18 Posted 05 June 2021 - 04:04 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17589 battles
  • [47R]

View PostOffroadx65-x, on 05 June 2021 - 10:51 AM, said:

What will a scout laser designator team be in TV at 1000 yds? 1 pixel? Eyestrain x1000

https://en.m.wikiped...Afghanistan.jpg

That's what funny about the false TV claims, it's not more realistic as objects are not visible indefinitely, why armies still use camo nets, ect. But even assuming it was.....a mode without scouts/Lt tanks and artillery is a less realistic mode then one that includes them.

Now you are talking quasi artillery for CW (laser with guided missiles). Do not give them any ideas, pls. :arta:

Offroadx65-x #19 Posted 05 June 2021 - 04:12 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15508 battles

View PostPajonate-x, on 05 June 2021 - 04:04 PM, said:

Now you are talking quasi artillery for CW (laser with guided missiles). Do not give them any ideas, pls. :arta:

Well if people really want CW to be more realistic then WW2 in game......they need to model modern scouts which will introduce missiles, and artillery and MLRS which should include laser designation whether vehicle based or other......and one could argue the attack helicopter brigade in modern armor division has replaced the WW2 TD........alot to simulate.

Another aspect of CW that struck me was the number of shots tanks could take in game.....if anything modern warfare should realisticly be more lethal then WW2

Pajonate-x #20 Posted 05 June 2021 - 04:41 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17589 battles
  • [47R]

View PostOffroadx65-x, on 05 June 2021 - 11:12 AM, said:

Another aspect of CW that struck me was the number of shots tanks could take in game.....if anything modern warfare should realisticly be more lethal then WW2

I believe that was done to make matches longer, since that was one of the complains players gad with the new "improvements" in WW2.

Also tagged with Light tanks, CW

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users