Saying Goodby to My Tanking Buddy, and Man's Best Friend.

Pets

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

STUART SHERMAN-x #1 Posted 24 July 2021 - 02:16 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 46625 battles
  • [FLT]

51332091258_67374d2287_h.jpg

This is Bonnie our rescue dog that we never meant to have. Our old Border Collie was nearing the end of her life, and we had decided she would be our last dog, at least for a while. But then Bonnie was found running thru 55mph traffic on a State highway. She went unclaimed by anyone, and so we got an unexpected addition to our pack. The Wife named her Bonnie Lass in a tribute to our mutual Irish heritage, and the fact that she was indeed a beautiful girl. Although she was only with us for seven years, she was an amazing companion, and willing ear when late night tanking after everyone else had gone to bed. A true Omega dog, she never challenged us, but was maybe the best dog we've had the privilege of sharing our life with. Boating, camping, or tanking she was content to be with us/me, and never even a judgmental look no matter what dumb stunt I'd pulled. Just a loving friend, and guardian of the pack. I'm really going to miss her.

I'll be checking in on this post, but I'm going to be off of the Forum for a bit. Thanks in advance for any sympathetic words. A small donation to your local shelter would be appreciated, but please do something special for your own fur babies while you can. A day out, visiting people they love, or just a big hug.

Good Hunting All,

STUART

Ditch Doc-x #2 Posted 24 July 2021 - 02:23 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31543 battles
I’m sorry Stuart. That’s a really sad time. I’m glad she found you guys instead of being run down 7 years ago. I’m sure she had a wonderful life with you.

“They’re trying to kill me,” Yossarian told him calmly. ”No one’s trying to kill you,” Clevinger cried.

”Then why are they shooting at me?” Yossarian asked. ”They’re shooting at everyone,” Clevinger answered. “They’re trying to kill everyone.”

”And what difference does that make?” Joseph Heller, Catch-22

tokyobatman-p #3 Posted 24 July 2021 - 02:56 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 21547 battles
  • [XIXLG]
I'm sorry. They are angels  without  wings..

Pit Friend-x #4 Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:00 PM

Major

• Players
  • 39619 battles
  • [PTATO]
Sorry for your loss.  Anyone that says a dog isn’t a real member of a family has never had one. 

I don’t know how to act my age! I’ve never been this old before!

tankgirlandhim-x #5 Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:04 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 72403 battles
  • [RETR0]
What a lovely photo.  So sorry for your loss x

Corrupted Ewok-x #6 Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:05 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 20592 battles
Sorry bud. Never easy losing a doggo.

In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Douglas Adams.

CostlessSun07-x #7 Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:07 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 37684 battles

Sorry for your loss.  Great tribute to what I am sure was a most loyal companion.

I know how smart Border Collies and how tuned into their pack they can be. She was lucky to have found your family.

She was indeed a beautiful girl.

LeftTurnus-p #8 Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:18 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29261 battles

Sorry for your loss.

She had a great life with you. It's always awesome when people step up to help animals.

All of our dogs have been rescues of some sort. They are the most loving animals.

It is always very difficult to say goodbye.

PrezBillClinton-x #9 Posted 24 July 2021 - 04:17 PM

Major

• Players
  • 65098 battles
  • [JOCO]
Condolences Stuart. She looks content and loved. A dogs only problem is they don' stick with us long enough. She would wish another dog in your life as dog people must have dogs.                                                                                     Off to work and i just gave my 2 foster fails big hugs and each a smooch.

Edited by PrezBillClinton-x, 24 July 2021 - 04:33 PM.

If you don't know, ask someone who does.

PrimalSeal1965-x #10 Posted 24 July 2021 - 04:18 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12159 battles
  • [RETR0]

Very sad to say the least and I understand where you're at. I had a Yorkie her name was Chloe she was ours for around 16 years. She often laid in my lap when I played tanks. She passed a couple of years ago and for the longest time I could rarely play. It just felt wrong without her. She had been with us so long it was like for us at least losing a child. She was the best friend I ever had.

My wife seeing how badly it messed with me decided to get another little baby girl. Olivia. Olivia has really helped me with depression and has been a real blessing. In some ways she reminds me of Chloe but she is all together and different person in her own right. Chloe rarely if ever barked but Olivia is challenging in that regards. She talks all the danged time unless she is laying in protect mode of me or my wife. Then she is on full alert and will Go off at the slightest noise. 

Some might think that is bad but for us it is comforting because she has alerted us to several would be situations. 

I am very sorry for your lose and by me sharing my experiences I do not mean to disrespect or take away from yours. I would strongly suggest to get another lap baby they are the best of the best. IF the world had more humans that were as loyal and loving as a Lap Baby we ALL would benefit greatly and the world would be a much better place. Give me a dog as a friend over a human any day! They certainly don't crap on you as much as your human friends. 

SteelWarriorSoul-p #11 Posted 24 July 2021 - 04:35 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 58654 battles
  • [R0N1N]
So sorry for your lost, Stay strong! 

DrHorrible4Life-x #12 Posted 24 July 2021 - 04:36 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 17958 battles
It's a sad, inevitable part of life.  All of my dogs are rescues.  I cry when I bury them, and the hole they leave behind is painful, but I wouldn't consider not having them.  Her life was the best it could have been because of the time she spent in your family.  

Tyrzun-x #13 Posted 24 July 2021 - 04:44 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 18650 battles
  • [MGACE]
Very sorry for your lose.  The lose is something you never really get over when you have a tremendous companion.  Make me think you and I are neighbors.  Was at the vet yesterday with our dog, has some serious issues, and some poor family was losing their dog in the next room.  It was a very sad time for them and us to witness.  Words never are enough to convey what someone is really going through when passing happens.  I wish you and your family the best in these extremely painful times.
The truth sounds like hate to those that hate the truth.  Change is the enemy of the prideful.

Tornado F7-x #14 Posted 24 July 2021 - 04:52 PM

Major

• Players
  • 26052 battles

I am very sorry to hear of your loss Stuart. Lovely-looking dog, and obviously a fine companion. Beautifully written, btw.

We went through similar ourselves in the Fall of 2018 when our beautifully-patterned rescue cat Lily vanished without trace during a particularly windy day. I searched for days, but not a trace. Our only hope is that he had got lost, could find no familiar landmarks, and found himself a new home, however unlikely that would be. He definitely hasn't found his way home, unfortunately.

A short while later, coming home from visiting a friend in hospital, we discovered a neighbour's cat, who used to sit on the porch with Lily, had somehow snuck in and helped himself to some of the remaining cat food. I spoke with the neighbour, who has 2 female cats in addition to this male, and he said Ulysses wasn't too happy with their having a new baby in the house, so he was okay with Ulysses moving in with us. Not that either of us had any say in the matter, the cat had already moved in. We wouldn't have chosen "Ulysses" for him ourselves, but that's the name he responds to, so that is what it has remained. He's far more of a housecat softie than Lily was. Lily used to be seen down by the street "playing" with small field mice some nights, and even brought a dead rat home (presumably from a restaurant dumpster a street away) one night. He really kept the street's rodent population under control. But not Ulysses. The one dead mouse we have attributed to him was probably a "gift" from one of his "sisters", who he heads off to visit once in a while.

Occasionally we catch other cats eating the food we leave outside for our cats. One evening I looked out, saw a cat tail and body - with a triangular snout! A possum! Eating cat food. We didn't see him again, but we do get interesting wildlife around that we didn't notice before the cats, like skunks, a racoon, etc. One night, about a year ago, I saw a pretty "yellow" cat sat on the porch with Ulysses. We didn't see a lot more of it, up until a month or so ago. He was now looking worse for wear, much skinnier and battle-scarred. Evidently he doesn't have a home or owner taking care of him, so whenever we see him we make sure he gets some food. Ulysses seems a bit annoyed at us giving "his" food away, but I think he realises how tough the yellow guy is having it, so beyond a brief hiss there isn't any noticeable trouble between them. I think "yellow" would like to move in himself, but even though he is obviously domesticated enough, rolling over for his belly rub and the rest, I don't think that's really an option. Two Toms in the same house would be asking for trouble. I'm asking around to see if anybody is interested, but no takers yet. It doesn't help that he picked up a fresh, deep gash/bite just ahead of his front left leg about two weeks ago. It looks like it could use some stitches, but aside from some peroxide I managed to squirt on it it's so far only getting his saliva licks. It doesn't seem to affect his movement though, so I guess it will eventually scar up and heal. At least it is pink, so fingers crossed.

(This would have been 3rd post, but I got well started on it then got diverted washing the cars. Came back to complete it, making it even longer, lol. Bet, hey, just sharing with Stuart that he isn't alone, and based on the number of replies already that's obviously the case. Pets are very much an important part of our lives. Even recently-arrived strays like my new yellow pal!).

Edited by Tornado F7-x, 24 July 2021 - 06:04 PM.

Bert Raccoon80-x #15 Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:07 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25789 battles
  • [FLT]
Sorry for your Loss. Its hard when you lose a one in someways it like losing a family member.

yellowbussdad-x #16 Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:13 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16474 battles

Sounds like Bonnie was a good dog. Sorry for your loss, it's never easy to part with them.

psmobius1-p #17 Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:17 PM

Major

• Players
  • 35197 battles
  • [6O97H]
Sorry to hear about your loved pets passing, it is always so hard for us all to say goodbye to our furballs. 

IBROX 04-x #18 Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:47 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23542 battles
  • [BNKR]
Yeah pets are members of the family. Sorry for your loss mate 

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm

WindedNickel18-x #19 Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:05 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 95111 battles
No words can describe the loss of an animal friend- as those who have can attest. You are better for knowing them as they were knowing you. My condolences friend.

Alan

MaxMiner11-x #20 Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:32 PM

Major

• Players
  • 26024 battles
They are called man's best friend for good reason.  Sorry for your loss.

Also tagged with Pets

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users