Positive indicator?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

CostlessSun07-x #1 Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:38 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 37684 battles

Not sure if a big deal has been made about this but, I noticed in Minto's stream notes:

• This week was the highest weekday playtime of the year

Did anyone else see this?  Did I read it correctly?  Is this a positive indicator?

I will be honest, I have been a critic of WG really since 6.0.  Changes have been made to the game since December's fiasco, but frankly WG has failed on several fronts to listen to their player base and the roll out was just plain sloppy.  I think probably many of the long time players found it difficult to appreciate the changes because they made little sense and actually created a lesser game with lower skill requirements.

So I am not sure if it was a 1 day anomaly or a legitimate record of a positive trend.  New players coming into the game is essential and judging by some gameplay of the maps that have been reintroduced into the game I do believe there are many new players trying to learn the game.  Positive in my book.

One thing that has not received the attention it deserves to improve the game is the in game efficiency display in the upper right corner.  This used to be a ribbon system that clearly provided information about what you are actually doing in the battle.  It was color coordinated, concise, and easily readable.  Now we have a system that is frankly a hot mess to be nice.  Why after 7 months has this system not been fixed?  Can we display our number of kills in battle?  Why does the information being updated overlay useful data?  Why is the information not color coordinated?  For example, kills in the old ribbon system were clearly displayed  with a red box and a line going through a tank.  Pretty clear when you have 5 kills and you understand immediately you need 1 more for a TG.  Now I have little idea how many kills I have until the end of the battle.  I think only clickers have time during battle to scroll to see their kill totals.  PLEASE FIX THE RIBBON SYSTEM after 7 months.

Edited by CostlessSun07-x, 25 July 2021 - 03:24 PM.

MilitaryGoose05-x #2 Posted 24 July 2021 - 04:58 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18630 battles
Well there's nothing in the public available player number tracking data that suggests the game is in a good place right now.

But if they are counting the Tuesday they released CW mode then yeah, they probably did get a ton of players that day.

The problem is they didn't retain many of those players a week later.

SafeNine621586-x #3 Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:04 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1139 battles

View PostMilitaryGoose05-x, on 24 July 2021 - 04:58 PM, said:

Well there's nothing in the public available player number tracking data that suggests the game is in a good place right now.

But if they are counting the Tuesday they released CW mode then yeah, they probably did get a ton of players that day.

The problem is they didn't retain many of those players a week later.

He said THIS week though, not when cold war first dropped

UrticateArc6122-x #4 Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:12 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 11643 battles
Lots of folks playing the new Italian heavies at the moment, I'm sure that's a bit to do with it.

"Sooner or later, all games become serious." - J.G. Ballard

Sir Lancelot62-x #5 Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:57 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 52989 battles

View PostCostlessSun07-x, on 24 July 2021 - 03:38 PM, said:

Not sure if a big deal has been made about this but, I noticed in Minto's stream notes that this week they recorded the highest player numbers for a weekday this year.  

Did anyone else see this?  Did I read it correctly?  Is this a positive indicator?

I will be honest, I have been a critic of WG really since 6.0.  Changes have been made to the game since December's fiasco, but frankly WG has failed on several fronts to listen to their player base and the roll out was just plain sloppy.  I think probably many of the long time players found it difficult to appreciate the changes because they made little sense and actually created a lesser game with lower skill requirements.

So I am not sure if it was a 1 day anomaly or a legitimate record of a positive trend.  New players coming into the game is essential and judging by some gameplay of the maps that have been reintroduced into the game I do believe there are many new players trying to learn the game.  Positive in my book.

One thing that has not received the attention it deserves to improve the game is the in game efficiency display in the upper right corner.  This used to be a ribbon system that clearly provided information about what you are actually doing in the battle.  It was color coordinated, concise, and easily readable.  Now we have a system that is frankly a hot mess to be nice.  Why after 7 months has this system not been fixed?  Can we display our number of kills in battle?  Why does the information being updated overlay useful data?  Why is the information not color coordinated?  For example, kills in the old ribbon system were clearly displayed  with a red box and a line going through a tank.  Pretty clear when you have 5 kills and you understand immediately you need 1 more for a TG.  Now I have little idea how many kills I have until the end of the battle.  I think only clickers have time during battle to scroll to see their kill totals.  PLEASE FIX THE RIBBON SYSTEM after 7 months.

The ‘ribbon system’ as it was, has been requested numerous times since the infamous ‘update’, however if my memory serves me correctly we have been informed that this will not be resurrected……..it’s a real shame as it was a good indication of how you were doing whilst in battle ,at a glance…….

CostlessSun07-x #6 Posted 24 July 2021 - 08:01 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 37684 battles

View PostSir Lancelot62-x, on 24 July 2021 - 05:57 PM, said:

The ‘ribbon system’ as it was, has been requested numerous times since the infamous ‘update’, however if my memory serves me correctly we have been informed that this will not be resurrected……..it’s a real shame as it was a good indication of how you were doing whilst in battle ,at a glance…….

You are probably correct.

So we are left with information that is incomplete (no # of kills in battle), broken (overlaid information on top of information), hard to read (font), and disorganized (not color coordinated).  Did I miss anything?  Yes, it has been more than 7 months, if they played the game they might understand that information in battle is VERY important.  Otherwise, if they choose not to play the game they should listen to players who actually play the game and make improvements based on feedback. 

Tempest fox3-x #7 Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:16 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 26884 battles
  • [JOCO]
Well, the public tracker disagrees with the player numbers.

https://kamakazikami...github.io/wotc/

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131, Skoda T25, Boilermaker, Sentinel AC4 Experimental, M41B Brazil, Obj.416, Cromwell Knight, M551 Sheridan (Cold war) - In order obtained

Spoiler

Ben The Orange-x #8 Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:23 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 17941 battles

View PostTempest fox3-x, on 25 July 2021 - 11:16 AM, said:

I don't doubt the tracker, but doesn't that only register players who've played at least five battles? What if a bunch only played four battles? Or under? They wouldn't show in the tracker then. But Wargaming would have those numbers. So it's theoretically possible right?

Tempest fox3-x #9 Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:27 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 26884 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostBen The Orange-x, on 25 July 2021 - 11:23 AM, said:

I don't doubt the tracker, but doesn't that only register players who've played at least five battles? What if a bunch only played four battles? Or under? They wouldn't show in the tracker then. But Wargaming would have those numbers. So it's theoretically possible right?

There's multiple filters in the tracker. Default filter is just 'active accounts'. IE accounts that played at least a battle.

Then you have min 5 battles, new accounts and a couple other filters. 

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131, Skoda T25, Boilermaker, Sentinel AC4 Experimental, M41B Brazil, Obj.416, Cromwell Knight, M551 Sheridan (Cold war) - In order obtained

Spoiler

CostlessSun07-x #10 Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:19 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 37684 battles

View PostTempest fox3-x, on 25 July 2021 - 11:16 AM, said:

Wow, that is pretty contradictory of what Minto's statement was of the stream recap.  If those numbers are accurate there is actually an alarming loss of people playing the game since April 2021.  Thank you for posting the link.

I wonder what the confusion is on WG's part?  The other point that I would make is even more alarming to me is, if WG believes their numbers are trending in the right direction and they are actually going in the opposite direction that leaves the game in an even more precarious state.  In other words, they are not making choices that will save the game.

I have given them a valid unresolved issue to fix above in my responses.  As a player for the last 7+ years I would like some simple and easy changes to the game that would bring the enjoyment level of the game back up.

Edited by CostlessSun07-x, 25 July 2021 - 06:37 PM.

IBROX 04-x #11 Posted 25 July 2021 - 04:04 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23542 battles
  • [BNKR]
For the last couple of days and for the first time, I’m seeing time out counts. Even had 3 or 4 last night. Yeah a Saturday. Saturdays used to be banging with players. 

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm

Tornado F7-x #12 Posted 25 July 2021 - 06:19 PM

Major

• Players
  • 26054 battles

If we want to keep new players, something needs to be done to supply them with a reasonable number of free commanders, even if they are all 0-skill. While the rest of us have far more crews than tanks, some moaning about having "only" 9-skills, new players seem to have a single commander, of a single nationality, probably with a name that doesn't even match that nationality. So most of their tanks go into battle with no commander at all.

That really doesn't seem fair now, does it? So how do you think newer players feel when they realise how heavily the odds are stacked against them? Do you think they will want to stay? Probably not. Especially when they have so many other games to choose from.

SafeNine621586-x #13 Posted 25 July 2021 - 07:37 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1139 battles

View PostTornado F7-x, on 25 July 2021 - 06:19 PM, said:

If we want to keep new players, something needs to be done to supply them with a reasonable number of free commanders, even if they are all 0-skill. While the rest of us have far more crews than tanks, some moaning about having "only" 9-skills, new players seem to have a single commander, of a single nationality, probably with a name that doesn't even match that nationality. So most of their tanks go into battle with no commander at all.

That really doesn't seem fair now, does it? So how do you think newer players feel when they realise how heavily the odds are stacked against them? Do you think they will want to stay? Probably not. Especially when they have so many other games to choose from.

I started using this account back in April to see what the new player experience is like, and its pretty awful. You're right, you get only 1 commander and have to pay 500k silver for another, which is very difficult for any new player. Theres no way to learn how to even play the game anymore, no tutorials, no proving grounds, nothing. You start at tier 3 which is rife with seal clubbers so most of the time you're in a completely unfair fight. How is this supposed to retain new players? Remember when you could train a 50% commander for free? Not an option any more. Wargaming needs to invite new players or they wont stay and the game WILL die.

PrezBillClinton-x #14 Posted 25 July 2021 - 07:53 PM

Major

• Players
  • 65104 battles
  • [JOCO]
There should be no skills or equipment allowed at tier 3. Progress towards skills should be allowed but only redeemable at tier 4. It may alleviate some of the seal clubbing advantages. Also no premium consumables allowed either. 

If you don't know, ask someone who does.

FinlandRed-x #15 Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:16 AM

Major

• Players
  • 26503 battles

View PostSafeNine621586-x, on 25 July 2021 - 07:37 PM, said:

I started using this account back in April to see what the new player experience is like, and its pretty awful. You're right, you get only 1 commander and have to pay 500k silver for another, which is very difficult for any new player. Theres no way to learn how to even play the game anymore, no tutorials, no proving grounds, nothing. You start at tier 3 which is rife with seal clubbers so most of the time you're in a completely unfair fight. How is this supposed to retain new players? Remember when you could train a 50% commander for free? Not an option any more. Wargaming needs to invite new players or they wont stay and the game WILL die.

Agreed. I tried the same to see wht it's like without all my advantages of silver and crews etc. Summary it is brutal. I'm able to hold my own but only because I know what I'm doing and where to go on some of the maps. To be thrown into a Tier IV on your fourth battle of a new game when you have no kit against TDs that can nuke you whilst you can't see them is just plain wrong. There's no explaination about what is going on just "You've been spotted, now you're crippled". Ten seconds later "So sorry, you died.". CW is worse because the silver required for progression is so massive and you don't have enough commanders. Overall I don't know why a new player would stay. If it was like this when I started, I'd have moved on to something else.

Ben The Orange-x #16 Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:49 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 17941 battles
Did they seriously remove the tutorial you played in a Sherman veriant that explained all the basics? I remember that being quite useful when I played it on the second day of the games release. Fairly sure you had to play that first before being allowed in to multiplayer to. To remove that would be very dumb. Let me guess. They couldn't be bothered to update it for 6.0 so just threw it out.

IcemanEspoo-p #17 Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:59 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8442 battles
  • [SU0M1]
Started in March and there was a battle or two, where you were guided to move, aim and shoot. Very little compared to other games. Somekind of mission based story would be better in my mind. Guided tour on different types of tanks 

GamerPaws-x #18 Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:06 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 27223 battles

View PostCostlessSun07-x, on 24 July 2021 - 03:38 PM, said:

Not sure if a big deal has been made about this but, I noticed in Minto's stream notes:

• This week was the highest weekday playtime of the year

What s considered highest? 7 people played 10mins instead of 2 people playing with bots for 5mins? :D

Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas

FinlandRed-x #19 Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:25 AM

Major

• Players
  • 26503 battles

View PostIcemanEspoo-p, on 26 July 2021 - 08:59 AM, said:

Started in March and there was a battle or two, where you were guided to move, aim and shoot. Very little compared to other games. Somekind of mission based story would be better in my mind. Guided tour on different types of tanks 

There's nothing of any note. I've been playing GoW 5 recently. That made you go through a whole "Boot Camp" thing where it taught you about the cover mechanics and how the weapons/reloads worked. Also how to vault cover and chainsaw bad guys. It's a night and day difference in tutorials compared to WoT. Showed some real thought and GoW is a much more simple game as it's just see alien, shoot alien. There's very little sophistication compared to Wot and it's weakpoints, reload times and module positions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users