Why were these awful TDs added?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

RogueTrooper180 #21 Posted 14 October 2021 - 08:51 AM

Major

• Players
  • 19941 battles
  • [JOCO]

I got absolutely smashed by sturmtiger last night. My poor Obj140 had nearly everything wrecked and only left with about 500hp, which a nice auto loader kindly took for himself.

Im gonna try and grind the line out on PS4 I think, the tier 5 was available to buy for some reason, and a little free XP helped fully upgrade it. (Didn’t spend any cash, just top right corner of garage free XP.)

The guns for the whole line seem decently hard hitting, if not all that accurate.

They look a lot of fun, but I haven’t seen anyone topping the leaderboard in any. Yet.

And yeah, to echo others, the StürmTiger has been asked for since for ever, and I’m quite glad it’s been added, with a whole line.

The more tanks the better, and it kinda shows that WG haven’t forgotten WWII mode, it shows they are still invested in it. Which pleases me, and gives me a little more hope for the future of the game.

Edited by RogueTrooper180, 14 October 2021 - 08:51 AM.

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU DON’T TRY

“If we can make it to the ground, we'll take the next chance. And the next. On and on until we win… or the chances are spent.” Jyn Erso ...

Dialga88 #22 Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:17 AM

Captain

• WoTC Community Ambassador
  • 8775 battles
  • [AP-EX]

View PostRogueTrooper180, on 14 October 2021 - 08:51 AM, said:

I got absolutely smashed by sturmtiger last night. My poor Obj140 had nearly everything wrecked and only left with about 500hp, which a nice auto loader kindly took for himself.

Im gonna try and grind the line out on PS4 I think, the tier 5 was available to buy for some reason, and a little free XP helped fully upgrade it. (Didn’t spend any cash, just top right corner of garage free XP.)

The guns for the whole line seem decently hard hitting, if not all that accurate.

They look a lot of fun, but I haven’t seen anyone topping the leaderboard in any. Yet.

And yeah, to echo others, the StürmTiger has been asked for since for ever, and I’m quite glad it’s been added, with a whole line.

The more tanks the better, and it kinda shows that WG haven’t forgotten WWII mode, it shows they are still invested in it. Which pleases me, and gives me a little more hope for the future of the game.

Reason you probably have it unlocked is that you elited the Stug III B, With future lines, all you have to do is elite the previous vehicle (e.g. Elite the ELC AMX to Unlock the AMD Wheeled Tank) with no further XP required.

Aoli7 #23 Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:19 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 34926 battles

View PostZerebusPrime, on 14 October 2021 - 01:44 AM, said:

*shudder*  Sorry, my spider sense was just warning me that I was about to walk into a rhetorical trap.  My liking it or not is beside the point.  My point is just that this line was in fact asked for.  The Sturmtiger was mocking us from the back of the old tank garage, rendered but unusable.

I am used to clunkiness in my tanks.  Broken levels of clunkiness, even.  I don't expect to do well in a particularly clunky tank score-wise but I do have fun.  

I'm glad you came back with a non Cheeky answer to seem above the question. WG has added a tank line and wasted time. 

They will not be played in 2-4 weeks. WG added a line into the game to give the player base a feeling of something new and console only. No point to add a useless tank line that won't be played for long. 

Dialga88 #24 Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:01 AM

Captain

• WoTC Community Ambassador
  • 8775 battles
  • [AP-EX]

View PostAoli7, on 14 October 2021 - 09:19 AM, said:

I'm glad you came back with a non Cheeky answer to seem above the question. WG has added a tank line and wasted time. 

They will not be played in 2-4 weeks. WG added a line into the game to give the player base a feeling of something new and console only. No point to add a useless tank line that won't be played for long. 

Tier 7 may turn out to be one of my favourites so not all the line is useless. Tier 9 is useless however and not worth playing (Not tried the 8 yet but i won't for another 2-3 weeks).

SandM9 #25 Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:43 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 33615 battles
Lol, "the players asked for it..."  is weak reasoning when you consider the list of things players have asked for, and the go to excuse when they mess with the game.  

Welcome to the forums. Where you can call people stupid, just don't call them passive-aggressive.

Goddog #26 Posted 14 October 2021 - 06:22 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 28555 battles
  • [SDKFZ]
the only bad one for me so far has been the BAR, the reset are fun and work well enough. they are not current meta, but they have a place in game. 

Winner 3rd place in the  [UNOFFICIAL CHALLENGE #2] Tier V Sturmgeschutz III

Aoli7 #27 Posted 14 October 2021 - 07:28 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 34926 battles

View PostGoddog, on 14 October 2021 - 06:22 PM, said:

the only bad one for me so far has been the BAR, the reset are fun and work well enough. they are not current meta, but they have a place in game. 

What is their use in the game?

UrticateArc6122 #28 Posted 14 October 2021 - 07:36 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12287 battles

View PostAoli7, on 14 October 2021 - 07:28 PM, said:

It's not like they're a complete anomaly, the higher tier derpy Russian TDs are similar to play. They'll find their niche as fun meme tanks when it calms down and everyone's not playing them.

Good thing is they're not a game changer like the wheeled lights would be.

Edited by UrticateArc6122, 14 October 2021 - 07:37 PM.

"Sooner or later, all games become serious." - J.G. Ballard

atwilliams07 #29 Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:00 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 45185 battles

View PostAoli7, on 15 October 2021 - 05:28 AM, said:

They are different.  They provide variety and a challenge.

Just ignore them if you don't like them.  No one is forcing you to play them!

Aoli7 #30 Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:33 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 34926 battles

View Postatwilliams07, on 14 October 2021 - 09:00 PM, said:

They are different.  They provide variety and a challenge.

Just ignore them if you don't like them.  No one is forcing you to play them!

I didn't say I was being forced. I said why did WG add a new line that doesn't fit the meta. These tanks will not be played much or at all in 2-4 weeks. What's the point of adding a new line that won't be played?

atwilliams07 #31 Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:59 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 45185 battles

View PostAoli7, on 15 October 2021 - 08:33 AM, said:

I didn't say I was being forced. I said why did WG add a new line that doesn't fit the meta. These tanks will not be played much or at all in 2-4 weeks. What's the point of adding a new line that won't be played?

Well let's see if you are right.  Personally I think they have a place in the game, but I agree they are unlikely to be be as popular as some other lines, as they are harder to play.  That's doesn't mean the line shouldn't exist though.

RabidSasquatch0 #32 Posted 15 October 2021 - 02:07 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 24094 battles
  • [VYPER]

View PostAoli7, on 14 October 2021 - 05:33 PM, said:

What is the "meta"?  Good tanks?  Are you asking why did WG add bad tanks?  Or do you feel these vehicles don't fit a WWII tank-based game?  Or do you feel they break the sandbox?

The "meta" is whatever people make of the game.  So if WG makes a change and people change how they play teh game... that fits the "meta".  It might change the "meta" significantly or barely at all...  I think that is all I can answer in this regard.

As for my speculations, balance is subjective, but I think most people agree these are underwhelming vehicles.  I feel WG didn't want to embrace the super derp that these tanks are (and maybe rightfully so), but the fact is they would be more popular if they had derpier guns that more reflective of their caliber (I'm not saying give the Sturmtiger 5000 alpha, but honestly >2000 with HE and really low pen should have been the way to go.  RN it's just a bad deathstar).  Also this is by far the most subject to change thing, I wouldn't get caught up just because a line is introduced with poor stats (although, tbf, WG took 8 years to give the e50m the single least influential buff ever while giving the 48 patton more changes than anyone can count over the same timeframe...  Maybe this line will be on their radar, maybe it won't.  Hard to say).

If you don't think they fit a WWII tank game, I think you are misinformed.  These are the most historically accurate line (for a WWII gamemode) we've seen in years (like it might actually be 5 years since we've had a truly WWII line).  If you think the vehicle class doesn't belong in the game... well I mean the kv-2 is in the game, is extremely popular, and might constitute your definition of "meta", just for one example (there are several other bunker busters or whatever as well, that's just the obvious example).

Sandbox breaking.... I almost wish they did this more.  We've had so many bland, uninteresting, carbon copy tanks added to the game recently.  While there is something to be said about the carrot on a stick mentality, the "max alpha" hasn't changed in over 7 years (or 8, if you count the t92).  Sure, tier for tier titles have shifted around but for the most part that ceiling was set.  The closest we've had to a splash damage-based vehicle (aside from artillery) is the KV2 (deathstar has always focused on single target) and I give WG props for implementing this in a way that introduces a new option at all tiers.  That said, I think they were way too conservative on their damage estimates and unfortunately, slow shells are very difficult to use between server lag, low framerate, controller input delay, and the general aiming system WOT uses (projected reticle with automatic zeroing, man I hate it).  But see the first point, balance is the easiest (not saying easy, but easiest) change to have happen in the game.

Perfect Dark 51 #33 Posted 15 October 2021 - 04:29 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 25643 battles
I think if they want them to be better they might have to tune up the armor on the tier 8 and give some of them huge gun arcs. Poor reloads, accuracy, gun arcs and bad aim time is not a good combo especially on a vehicles with no turrets. 

All my writing will be in crap cyan and orange until 6.0 is reverted. 

Panzerkeks 123 #34 Posted 15 October 2021 - 09:47 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 65057 battles
Well,the game is called World of Tanks. This includes mainly historical tanks.:great:  I'd like to see more of them and remove all the stupid clown tanks. 

KillBoY25198825 #35 Posted 15 October 2021 - 05:17 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 28575 battles

View PostFusionStar287, on 14 October 2021 - 05:54 AM, said:

The British lights past the tier VII are all at least good, and the Manticore is arguably the best tier X light currently.

I really like the Setter and I enjoyed the Polish mediums as well - the grind was less stressful on them as they all tended to start with usable guns.

Aoli7 #36 Posted 15 October 2021 - 08:08 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 34926 battles

View PostKillBoY25198825, on 15 October 2021 - 05:17 PM, said:

I really like the Setter and I enjoyed the Polish mediums as well - the grind was less stressful on them as they all tended to start with usable guns.

Polish mediums are good tanks. I kept the Tier 9 and 10. 

Ben The Orange #37 Posted 15 October 2021 - 09:22 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 18284 battles

View PostAoli7, on 14 October 2021 - 10:33 PM, said:

Nate and I think it's a test bed for possible future changes to artillery. These tanks scream arty but they're not. But then again, Equalisers barrage mode was rumoured to be that to but it never happened so who knows.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users