Question for older players with 10K+ games and low to medium skill level

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Crom951 #1 Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:38 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 16660 battles

I have over 16K games played.  I enjoy the game, but never got good at it.  I have my good games and bad games at tiers 6 and 7, but really struggle and am a detriment to my team at tier 8 and above.  As an older gamer with so many games played, it is doubtful I am going to get better.   I am not considering quitting the game and doing something else, as I have time on my hands to play, have an interest in tanks, and enjoy the game (especially the rare games when I score high, get a few kills, and my team wins).

My question is for any other players that like me, are older, have played a lot of games, and have below average stats.  Do you continue to grind tanks through the higher tiers, or do you settle in at  tiers where you have some success and stay there?

The reason I am asking is that I am trying to decide if I should continue to grind tanks at high tiers, or sell all but a few favorite high tier tanks, and buy back some of the tier 6 and 7 tanks that I have played in the past with more success.  I enjoy the challenge of grinding tanks, and it is always fun to move through the levels of a tank, and unlock new tanks.  Tier 10 tanks are a goal for most players from the time they start playing the game.  However, winning and contributing to your team's success is also fun, and happens more often when you are playing at a level of competition closer to your own skill level.  I am interested in hearing what others in my situation have done.  Do they drop down to a tier where they are competitive, continue to grind at higher tiers, or a mix of those two options?

ThermalStone #2 Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 42408 battles
  • [80085]

How old is old?

My best tip for you that it took me years to learn:  the game is all about positioning.  How do you shoot without being shot at?  At high tiers the maps play much differently than low tiers because the tanks are bigger with less camo and the view ranges are huge.  Positions that work at tier 6 may not work at tier 10.  You need to learn new positions and try to engage at even longer range when possible.  

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

ThorrOdinson616 #3 Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:55 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23663 battles
  • [BSMRK]
This game will never be what it was before, 6.0 totally changed everything we knew about it until 5.0 and made obsolete what we already knew.

In 5.0 climbing the technological branches was a challenge, mostly due to the player base at that time (too much quality), in my games I used to play a lot of players in CHAI, TORNADO, 7IRON, etc. platoons.

All that was a challenge and it was quite rewarding when you got your first Tier X, because you yourself knew everything you went through to get there, plus looking at it from now the packs and sharing modules in 5.0 doesn't sound so bad nowadays.

The player base will never be or have the quality it used to be, map rotation is very bad (plus they are taking forever to replenish everything they removed), there are no shared modules and you are prevented from taking out the tank you want.

Add all the factors of my last paragraph and the desire to play fades quickly, that excitement to play and have fun that you had in the past only remains in a beautiful, distant and beautiful memory.

I only play to pass the time and more than anything for the laughs with my clan mates but to play actively as I used to, that's not anymore and it's been over for a long time, now I only dedicate myself to play WOWSL and from time to time I come to see if something has changed.

Tempest fox3 #4 Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:57 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 27505 battles
  • [JOCO]

I suppose the question you need to ask yourself is do you want to improve your skill level, do you think you'll enjoy the game more if you're better at it?

Or are you happy enough as you are now?

If you want to improve sticking to a handful of vehicles and trying to "Master" them tends to be the way to go. 

If on the other hand you don't care about improving, does it matter what you play?

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131, Skoda T25, Boilermaker, Sentinel AC4 Experimental, M41B Brazil, Obj.416, Cromwell Knight, M551 Sheridan (Cold war) - In order obtained

Spoiler

duc888sps #5 Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:02 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 35716 battles

I'm an entirely average player stat wise but if I have one strength it's perhaps recognizing what needs to be done to try and win the game, sacrificial pawn to light that TD, lite, medium that's slaughtering a flank, sit on the cap to get reds to turn around when greens are struggling, hassle xyz, sit in a bush and don't fire your gun just keep stuff lit, take a battering in xyz position to hold it, run away if you can etc etc, but try and win the game regardless of your own performance.

It doesn't always work, but I'm driven by W/R and nothing else, as long as I'm plus 50+% I'm happy enough.

The more games you play the more famliar you become with the maps, hull down positions, bushes, good arty spots, ridges, escape routes etc etc

I play mostly Tier 6 - 8 dip into 10's when I feel like it and grind whatever I fancy grinding when I fancy grinding it, there are no rules ...

Just enjoy it ...

...votewithyourwallet...            and throwaway comments

dzhey43 #6 Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:06 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 49853 battles
  • [NYAHI]

I also thought grinding techtree is the goal of the game. No. Stop grinding. Play tiers/tanks you like. Grinding all tier 10 tanks is dumb. I wish I could understand this earlier. There is a lot tanks left to grind, but I won't do it. And I would not grind a lot of tanks I did. Nowadays you don't need techtree tanks at all anyway. So once again NO. Don't grind, play for fun. When you need a challenge you will find one. 

hades828zealous #7 Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:14 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11194 battles
Good Day..I now play for fun..i used to play for stats until 6.0.Have stuck to playing 4,5 and 6 tiers as there fun..also don't get stressed is just game.So have fun and play what tanks you like to play oh and you will notice your stats get little better when you play for fun.GG

GiggyBobcat8372 #8 Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:39 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 19191 battles
Didn't most of us stop grinding after 6.0? It just doesn't seem worth it anymore. Just enjoy the tanks you already have.

handsomecake462 #9 Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:47 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 1761 battles
I have less than 2000 games, and I am likely going to stick to Tiers 3-6. I'm below average (43), buy am slooowwwlllyyy getting a little better. Just playing for fun. I just don't get all the naysayers. Just quit, or at least wind down the "taking it seriously" meter several notches. 

bunnythefierce #10 Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:48 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 14858 battles

I don't have the ability or desire to improve my stats.

Ability in the sense that I still use autoaim too much cause my brain can't catch up with moving manual aim.

Desire in the sense that I don't have patience to hide in a favorable location, willingness to abandon a battle when a teammate is engaged or abandon a flank when the team lemmings. 

KeIIenn #11 Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:01 PM

Major

• WoTC Community Ambassador
  • 44499 battles
  • [CHAI-]

View PostTempest fox3, on 25 November 2021 - 05:57 PM, said:

I suppose the question you need to ask yourself is do you want to improve your skill level, do you think you'll enjoy the game more if you're better at it?

Or are you happy enough as you are now?

If you want to improve sticking to a handful of vehicles and trying to "Master" them tends to be the way to go. 

If on the other hand you don't care about improving, does it matter what you play?

This pretty well sums it up.

In my personal experience, I found that playing tier 7-8 was a pretty good sweetspot for learning, while I played fewer games at higher tiers. I would avoid getting stuck at those tiers or lower though. Of course, my experience was long before such blatantly overpowered premium tanks stalked the matchmaker. There is not going to be much you can do if you encounter a Dreadnaught player with a few braincells to rub together. That said, I guess it can teach you a lot about picking fights and trading....

[TRND0] Tornado 

Devilman05 #12 Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:23 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39759 battles
  • [COINA]

Took me a while to realise and for a long time i was angry that other players would do silly things.. (all go one flank.. a light tank sniping with the TDs at back. A couple examples.) 

Best advise is to react to how YOUR team is playing..

TurboTankMan #13 Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:38 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 37579 battles

I started playing when I retired, still going 7 years later with 37k games and not the best player but not the worst. I have plenty of tier 10s, and gave up grinding for a while but missed the challenge of trying to get a new tier 10 line finished.

Have been grinding Modern Warfare plus the new German TD line.

I think I will just have one or two grinds going forward, play them to get the day's first win bonus then play whatever from the garage. 

SirDerp-a-lot #14 Posted 26 November 2021 - 12:35 AM

Major

• Players
  • 70379 battles
  • [EPOS]
I can give you the advice I give players of any level of skill: Play the tanks you like, not the ones perceived by others to be the "best". No tier is better than another by itself.

RaggaMuffinReap #15 Posted 26 November 2021 - 01:52 AM

Major

• Players
  • 41197 battles
  • [DOOMU]

All are welcome here, 

I stat rolled you to see what you were playing with

Just about every tier 6 TD will give you and easier time than that IKV65, with exception to british GC

The sweed TD line would also appreciate a more skilled/Knowledgable player.

Of the 4 tier 8s ive seen you have, Tig 2, Udes 3, Indy Panza, T32. The T32 is by far the easiest to get right, even though you reaching for a leo.

Now go put 2 stars on T67, >> then go get a leo

But stop just doing the multi, 1 or 2 battles of a tank doesnt get you anything, your tank xp or your own xp.

You wont learn the tank right if you dont do this, so this is the reason you lack confidence

Also toon with someone, i know its a minefield of weirdos, kids and morrons, just get past that. 

Just roll with an experienced crew and they will get you what you need. 

Now Streaming, as supastalka (twitch)

Thats the old review, new 1 incoming

http://forum-console...of-60-sensible/

imanikingoff20 #16 Posted 26 November 2021 - 02:44 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 51415 battles
  • [-ATK-]

All the advice given is great. I am age impaired myself and I play a lot.

But since the downgrade I've had to change basically everything.

1. No more grinding unless l want a tank and only when bonus/discounts are on.

2. Get the Season Pass and 'grind' it. It also gives me goals to achieve.

3. I don't like Tier 10. So l don't play Tier 9 or 10. I only play my PMM 8's.

4. I play what I feel like. Some days I only play TD's. If l want to train a Crew skill l do that.

5. I don't try to play better. When I do 9 times out of 10 l have a bad game. I do try and relax, have fun, ignore the bad MM , teams and RNG.

6. See items 1 to 5.

It's only my complete lack of talent that stops me from being an average player.

LeftTurnus #17 Posted 26 November 2021 - 03:53 AM

Major

• Players
  • 31569 battles

I always feel the need to be grinding something. Tanks, crews, or whatever.

I left for a couple of years and came back after 6.0 The game is very different from what it was. Grinding can be a pain now with the changes that are LVP. The linear progression can make grinding much more difficult than it used to be.

Play the tanks you enjoy and have fun in. If you do grind TT, make sure to mix in fun tanks if it seems to become a chore.

Xero M XTC #18 Posted 26 November 2021 - 04:20 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 19222 battles

View PostCrom951, on 25 November 2021 - 09:38 PM, said:

I have over 16K games played.  I enjoy the game, but never got good at it.  I have my good games and bad games at tiers 6 and 7, but really struggle and am a detriment to my team at tier 8 and above.  As an older gamer with so many games played, it is doubtful I am going to get better.   I am not considering quitting the game and doing something else, as I have time on my hands to play, have an interest in tanks, and enjoy the game (especially the rare games when I score high, get a few kills, and my team wins).

My question is for any other players that like me, are older, have played a lot of games, and have below average stats.  Do you continue to grind tanks through the higher tiers, or do you settle in at  tiers where you have some success and stay there?

The reason I am asking is that I am trying to decide if I should continue to grind tanks at high tiers, or sell all but a few favorite high tier tanks, and buy back some of the tier 6 and 7 tanks that I have played in the past with more success.  I enjoy the challenge of grinding tanks, and it is always fun to move through the levels of a tank, and unlock new tanks.  Tier 10 tanks are a goal for most players from the time they start playing the game.  However, winning and contributing to your team's success is also fun, and happens more often when you are playing at a level of competition closer to your own skill level.  I am interested in hearing what others in my situation have done.  Do they drop down to a tier where they are competitive, continue to grind at higher tiers, or a mix of those two options?

I would say it depends on the person... but since you enjoy unlocking new tanks and grinding through the lines, I would say continue with that. If you think you're a detriment to your team and want to get better you need to either have someone help with that (someone you can platoon with so they can observe your play style) and can give you some pointers or you need to examine why you're not doing so well and adjust your play style. Are you dying early, if so why - are you getting caught in the open, making risky plays and/or bad trades, being too aggressive early on ect. If you're not dying early and are just ending the match with little to no damage/assist/spotting, it's most likely an issue with the positions you're taking and/or your ability to adapt to whats happening in the match as it unfolds - need to keep one eye on on what you're doing and one eye on whats going on in the match.

It's also important to ask if having a good game personally is more important or is winning more important. At times, a winning play can screw your performance, and a good performance doesn't guarantee a win.

Even though you like grinding/unlocking stuff, there's no harm/shame/whatever in taking it easy/slow. There are probably just as many good players that play mid tiers than there are who play high tiers, but higher tier play is more punishing in terms of mistakes and so not great for learning the basics.

But i think if a player is having success in mid tier but not in high tier then its most likely just a case of getting use to the individual tanks you play and face as the mechanics, tactics, strategies are largely the same. The way tank classes with roughly the same characteristics pretty much play the same regardless of tier.

The issue I found with grinding through lines relatively quickly is you're not getting enough personal experience with that tank before you move onto the next, and if you're bouncing between tank classes regularly, or have 10 tanks lines going at the same time, that's only going to compound the issue.

Well, thats it from me, see you guys in another couple of months I guess haha.

Ditch Doc #19 Posted 26 November 2021 - 04:51 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 33055 battles
Don’t write off your chances of getting better simply due to age. Old guys do great at this game, since it’s not so much about reflexes as foresight. Like Thermalstone said, it’s about putting yourself in the correct position. It’s about knowing when to leave and when to push. And since it’s different for every tank and tier, what people have said about just playing something you like or do well in is probably the best way to stay sane and happy while improving without even thinking about it. Bottom line though, do what makes you happy. 

“They’re trying to kill me,” Yossarian told him calmly. ”No one’s trying to kill you,” Clevinger cried.

”Then why are they shooting at me?” Yossarian asked. ”They’re shooting at everyone,” Clevinger answered. “They’re trying to kill everyone.”

”And what difference does that make?” Joseph Heller, Catch-22

marinefish666 #20 Posted 26 November 2021 - 05:00 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 50731 battles

I would say get your favorite tier 6 mediums decked out and with 9 skill crews.

3 to 5 that play and feel similar.

Then just play these. 

When you stop grinding you play better.

Also ignore all the [edited]op's that force you to change your play style

Watch videos on how to play and get as good as you can.

I think of most 10's as trophies and haven't played them alot.

Senior Technical Engineer, all reg tanks unlocked! All reg X tanks in garage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users