The Official Forum archival project (331 threads done)

Closure Forum Archive

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Dyslexsticks #1 Posted 07 December 2021 - 10:07 AM

Major

• Players
  • 38705 battles
  • [JOCO]

The post seen below, is a copy from the post as seen on The Bunker, and is where all the information I, and perhaps a few of you that have archived will be listed, however I'll still take any requests here.

The link to the archive in question.

Hey all, not-scott here. As most if not all remaining active members of this board already know, the Official World of Tanks Console community manager has announced the closure of the OWoTC forums, although a date hasn't yet been given.

As much of a hell as that place can be, I never found it to be entirely devoid of useful information or indeed, precious memories and banter.

So, I've taken it upon myself to build up another internet archive using the Wayback Machine. A great little tool that saves pages in seconds for viewing later for years to come, even past the original page's expiry date.

How will this work?

This is largely a short little independent venture of mine. I'm going to try and save as much as I possibly can using the tools of the Wayback Machine and list them here under yet to be named categories. Categories will be condensed in neat little spoiler boxes, and I will occasionally bump the thread upon any significant additions and news (if that's okay with the mods?). I'll also reserve 3 posts in case this gets particularly massive.

Can I help in any way?

Requests! Send me requests. Tell me if there's a thread out there you want preserved, I'll try my best to see that it gets archived. I'll create a personal checklist and mark it off when it is done then put it under aformentioned categories. Ideally, post a link, so I can archive it without searching. Due credit will be given if that's your thing.

However, in the event of truly insanely sized threads, like the "Which forumer did you meet" thread, I cannot possibly be expected to archive the entire thing alone, so in the case of threads such as these, I'd much rather prefer requests for a specific page over the entire thing.

If you want to make the process faster, the tools can be used anonymously without creating an account! Grab the link to a page, go to https://archive.org/ and click the icon highlighted below in the image near the top-left, then paste the link in the "save page now" field. This will instantly archive the page! When you're done with that, just say something like "I archived this (etc)" with the link you saved, and I'll add it to the relevant category and give you credit! I'm not a completely ungrateful person, you see. ;)

I've already archived the thread mentioning the closure to the date of this post, of which I'll include here while the link is still live.

SpartanFire71 #2 Posted 07 December 2021 - 10:16 AM

Major

• Players
  • 23966 battles
Haven't been to the bunker in a a couple of years maybe. Seemed that it lost the focus on WoT. Understandable as many may have moved on from WoT.

Dyslexsticks #3 Posted 08 December 2021 - 12:20 PM

Major

• Players
  • 38705 battles
  • [JOCO]

Some recent significant developments:

The "Save outlinks" tool on the Wayback Machine enables one to capture the page they aim to, and all of the pages the links within that one go to. What this means is one can archive a bulk of threads at once, provided they're the smaller sort (4 pages max, as all pages will be a visible link).

So if you're looking at a page of topics, you can archive them all at once!

The tool isn't perfect though, it will archive the majority of threads but some will fail, meaning one has to grab the "problem links" and try again.

I ended up testing this all myself on The Library subforum's earliest updated page of threads (even though they're slated to become read-only, saving them a little longer), and it went pretty swimmingly.

A whole page worth of threads around the Beta (Post-Beta?) era has been archived with posts dating from January to February, juicing up the current number of archived threads to 63!

I'll try bulk-archiving some more of the other forums that haven't necessarily been slated for read-only preservation later.

I'm still trying to look for stuff around the Tankbowl and Mid-Tier Madness era, although with the search engine capabilities of the forums, it's not easy...

Google has evidently turned up the little Road to Tankfest scoreboard I made a while back, and I had to crop out a lot of the URL to even get past the error message and archive the thing. :D

Hazelrock #4 Posted 08 December 2021 - 05:26 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 34286 battles
  • [FORUM]
This is very nice of you. Thank you

imanikingoff20 #5 Posted 09 December 2021 - 06:06 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 53410 battles
  • [-ATK-]
Great job, take last week off (and dont stop)

It's only my complete lack of talent that stops me from being an average player.

PhonicKitty8825 #6 Posted 10 December 2021 - 03:12 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29824 battles
  • [USCAN]

http://forum-console...__fromsearch__1

My only 2 threads worth saving.

4th MoE/Gold Moe  3rd MoE: IS-7, IS-3, M.O.B.A.T., M24 Chaffee '53, T-44A, T-72AV, M113, M551 Sheridan, M46A1 Patton, T32, Leo, Object 934, NM-116, Object 268 '56, A41A Centurion Mk. ll, M50 Ontos, Object 165

R.I.P WoT Forum

Memento Mori

WarOnTour #7 Posted 10 December 2021 - 03:43 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 67473 battles
  • [FORUM]

Answers every single how do I git gud question that has ever or will ever be asked.

OldRugger51 #8 Posted 10 December 2021 - 04:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21826 battles
  • [C-X-L]

Thank you Dyslexsticks! Very nice and very helpful. :great:

Joco, give the man a Ferdinand! 

:trollface::teethhappy:

“People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.”

― George Carlin

“The other night I was lying in bed, looking up at the stars, and I wondered, 'Where the hell is my roof?”

― Steven Wright

“I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand.”
― Rodney Dangerfield

FusionStar287 #9 Posted 10 December 2021 - 04:44 PM

Major

• WoTC Community Ambassador
  • 24615 battles
  • [JOCO]

Here's just a few threads I can think of/find off the top of my head:

An All-Inclusive Guide on how you can win more games. - The Barracks - Official Forum - World of Tanks Console

The ELC EVEN 90: The best worst tank. - The Barracks - Official Forum - World of Tanks Console

Forum Efficiency and Forum WN8. - The Barracks - Official Forum - World of Tanks Console

The tale of T95 the Valiant. - The Barracks - Official Forum - World of Tanks Console

The tale of Death Star the sad. - The Barracks - Official Forum - World of Tanks Console

The power of the Object 263. - The Barracks - Official Forum - World of Tanks Console

Debate it! Saving a capping teammate. - The Barracks - Official Forum - World of Tanks Console 

Debate it! T95 vs. Tortoise. - The Barracks - Official Forum - World of Tanks Console

Debate it! Mobius Y vs. Ruthless4u - The Barracks - Official Forum - World of Tanks Console

Advanced Tactic: Track Turning - The Library - Official Forum - World of Tanks Console

There are hundreds more I could find and post, but I'll leave these for now. Also, I'm curious, would it even be possible to archive the "Describe a tank in one gif" thread considering the thread is filled with gifs/videos?

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Men should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1: 19-20

"wefWEGFRF" - RaiBOT01, 2017

Dyslexsticks #10 Posted 10 December 2021 - 05:20 PM

Major

• Players
  • 38705 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostPhonicKitty8825, on 10 December 2021 - 03:12 PM, said:

Done both. :great:

View PostWarOnTour, on 10 December 2021 - 03:43 PM, said:

Answers every single how do I git gud question that has ever or will ever be asked.

Interestingly, this thread actually has some captures running back to around 2017 already, so I'm not the first one with this idea in the slightest! I've captured the entire thread as it currently appears now though, and I'll drop the archive link here too if there is anything to see from previous editions you may have wanted a look at. https://web.archive....ss-math-of-wot/

Looks like I have a few additions to make to my checklist!

As for that gif thread, it wouldn't be so much the gifs as it would be the absolute unit the thread is. I could likely do a few pages but not all, because despite what I just said, Gifs do strain the archival servers a bit.

Case in point, trying to archive as much of the anime thread as possible back when I accidentally caused the erasure of the off topic forum haha.

Multiple errors on the pages with gifs. Not impossible, but you have to fight a bit.

PS. Thanks for the Forum WN8 thread, I was looking for that forever!

Edited by Dyslexsticks, 10 December 2021 - 05:21 PM.

PhonicKitty8825 #11 Posted 10 December 2021 - 05:41 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29824 battles
  • [USCAN]

View PostDyslexsticks, on 10 December 2021 - 05:20 PM, said:

Interestingly, this thread actually has some captures running back to around 2017 already, so I'm not the first one with this idea in the slightest! I've captured the entire thread as it currently appears now though, and I'll drop the archive link here too if there is anything to see from previous editions you may have wanted a look at. https://web.archive....ss-math-of-wot/

As for that gif thread, it wouldn't be so much the gifs as it would be the absolute unit the thread is. I could likely do a few pages but not all, because despite what I just said, Gifs do strain the archival servers a bit.

Case in point, trying to archive as much of the anime thread as possible back when I accidentally caused the erasure of the off topic forum haha.

Multiple errors on the pages with gifs. Not impossible, but you have to fight a bit.

Thanks a lot for doing this :honoring:

4th MoE/Gold Moe  3rd MoE: IS-7, IS-3, M.O.B.A.T., M24 Chaffee '53, T-44A, T-72AV, M113, M551 Sheridan, M46A1 Patton, T32, Leo, Object 934, NM-116, Object 268 '56, A41A Centurion Mk. ll, M50 Ontos, Object 165

R.I.P WoT Forum

Memento Mori

WalkingTinCan #12 Posted 10 December 2021 - 05:43 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 18126 battles
  • [M01ST]

http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/205707-up-armored-light-test/page__fromsearch__1

http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/207473-things-that-stink/page__fromsearch__1

God save the King!

**WARNING: This post contains Gluten.**

non-attorney spokesperson

update 6.0 poll

SupersonicPanda #13 Posted 10 December 2021 - 06:56 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 46573 battles
  • [1CAB]

Thanks very much for putting your time into this. Quality.

:honoring:

FlamMabel #14 Posted 10 December 2021 - 07:11 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 34578 battles
  • [USCAN]
I was trying to find that one where that guy (Dave I think?) was getting chewed out by his significant other and someone said that he belongs to us now. I remember finding that one humourous.

Tempest fox3 #15 Posted 10 December 2021 - 07:23 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 27986 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostFlamMabel, on 10 December 2021 - 07:11 PM, said:

I was trying to find that one where that guy (Dave I think?) was getting chewed out by his significant other and someone said that he belongs to us now. I remember finding that one humourous.

http://forum-console...us-now/#topmost

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131, Skoda T25, Boilermaker, Sentinel AC4 Experimental, M41B Brazil, Obj.416, Cromwell Knight, M551 Sheridan (Cold war) - In order obtained

If for some reason you would like to keep in contact with me after these forums close, You can find me on Xbox Live: Tempest fox3, Steam: Tempest fox3 (Friend code: 146015281) or Discord: Tempest Fox3#2041

PhonicKitty8825 #16 Posted 10 December 2021 - 07:38 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29824 battles
  • [USCAN]

View PostTempest fox3, on 10 December 2021 - 07:23 PM, said:

Lol!

R.I.P WoT Forum

Memento Mori

Dyslexsticks #17 Posted 10 December 2021 - 07:48 PM

Major

• Players
  • 38705 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostTempest fox3, on 10 December 2021 - 07:23 PM, said:

Free him

FusionStar287 #18 Posted 10 December 2021 - 09:06 PM

Major

• WoTC Community Ambassador
  • 24615 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostDyslexsticks, on 10 December 2021 - 12:20 PM, said:

I appreciate you doing this. I'll keep trying to think of any classic threads I can't remember at the moment, and if you (or anyone else) thinks of a thread they can't find let me know and I'll see if I can track it down. 

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Men should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1: 19-20

"wefWEGFRF" - RaiBOT01, 2017

RaggaMuffinReap #19 Posted 11 December 2021 - 01:58 AM

Major

• Players
  • 42312 battles
  • [DOOMU]

I gave him about 6 to hit up

Now Streaming, as supastalka (twitch)

Thats the old review, new 1 incoming

http://forum-console...of-60-sensible/

WalkingTinCan #20 Posted 11 December 2021 - 10:48 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 18126 battles
  • [M01ST]

http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/242185-is-not-protecting-arty-not-like-shooting-yourself-in-the-foot/#topmost

My favorite thread to necro. Unfortunately the thread got archived/locked in the Barracks conversion which ruined my fun.

**WARNING: This post contains Gluten.**

non-attorney spokesperson

update 6.0 poll

Also tagged with Closure, Forum, Archive

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users