New Player Buff, Future planning & Training Missions

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

T33kanneWG #1 Posted 12 January 2022 - 07:32 PM

Senior Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 131 battles

Tankers!

World of Tanks Console is a deep and challenging game. While many of you have been able to master the game through hard work and playing thousands of games, we’ve had issues with many new players who find the learning curve punishing. In order to help new players and retain them long enough to discover what makes this game so special to many of us, we have started working on improving our new player experience.

New Player Buff

As a part of improving new player experience, we have been testing to see whether making players feel more competent during their initial foray into the game will help them stay longer with the game. First of these tests was "New Player Buff." In the past few weeks, we introduced some changes to damage mechanics that affected all of you.

They were first introduced with the "British Invasion" update on December 7th. With this update, new players dealt more and received less damage up to the first 100 battles. This information was not shared with you, to prevent any abuse, since we wanted to test this implementation without tainting the results. 

What we didn't take into account was, that this mechanic noticeably impacted the gameplay of our veteran players, especially in the Cold War mode (mainly Era 1). Thanks to the feedback that we received from you during the first week, we immediately implemented a change on December 14th, greatly reducing the impact on this mechanic to veterans. On December 22nd we completely removed the damage reduction from PVP. 

Unfortunately, due to the holidays, we were not able to remove the damage increase for new players until January 4th.

We apologize for not sharing the information earlier. Moving forward, we will be better about sharing these gameplay impacting experiments.

From now on, all new players are automatically put into Cold War Co-Op mode against bots by default, until they choose to leave and enter multiplayer mode. The damage new players receive in Co-Op is reduced, which gives new players more time to survive and experience success. 

For both Co-op and Multiplayer modes, the current rules for damage and penetration are as following:

• Damage dealt per shot for all players against other players is the same at +\-20%.
  • Penetration RNG for new players under 100 battles against all other players is +20%\-7% (all other players is +\-20%), providing a “floor” to new players.

Note: Our testing of new player conditions in December generated very positive effects for new players. Not only did they play more matches on average, but they also returned to the game at a much higher rate.

Future planning & Training Missions

Moving forward, we are planning to offer the same advantages restricted to Co-Op mode (PvE matches only) in both Cold War and World War 2. This would be our ideal plan today, but it requires tech investment and a bit more time to develop.

When it comes to Training Missions, there is a huge opportunity to improve teaching of several core concepts such as Armor, Range, Aiming, and Driving. We have begun work on a new training system that we hope will equip new players with knowledge and practice to be more successful in both Co-Op and Multiplayer. We are excited for our players to try this out within the months ahead!

I understand that all of this is a very delicate topic for you, the veterans who are playing this game for many years. I want to thank each and everyone of you, for being a loyal player and for being so passionate about the game. If you have any questions or concerns, please leave a comment, and i will try to address them.

Haukkis #2 Posted 12 January 2022 - 07:47 PM

Major

• Players
  • 41853 battles
Some sort of in-game Wikipedia would be really useful for new players and even veteran players could learn from that. Most players are just too lazy to search information from official Wot webpage or from youtube. Proper explanation how all crew skills work, how bushes and spotting work, what is maximum rendering distance in WW2, overmatching etc. Please consider adding some sort of in-game Wikipedia/Help that you could access in-game. 

IBROX 04 #3 Posted 12 January 2022 - 07:53 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23953 battles
  • [BNKR]
I’m okay with new players. But why don’t you add CooP mode to WWII and make new players stay in CooP mode for a set amount of time. Add new player challenges in the mode and they can’t opt out until the complete time and challenges . As for CW CooP that’s a different issue in itself. Even after CooP mode and they opt out. Still going to have issues. Add the usual days of premium, consumables, equipment, garage slots , + silver is a killer for new players and commanders, 

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm

IBROX 04 #4 Posted 12 January 2022 - 07:58 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23953 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostIBROX 04, on 12 January 2022 - 07:53 PM, said:

I’m okay with new players. But why don’t you add CooP mode to WWII and make new players stay in CooP mode for a set amount of time. Add new player challenges in the mode and they can’t opt out until the complete time and challenges . As for CW CooP that’s a different issue in itself. Even after CooP mode and they opt out. Still going to have issues. Add the usual days of premium, consumables, equipment, garage slots , + silver is a killer for new players and commanders, 

+ Given new players this less/more damage thing, ain’t going to work, gonna think… oh I’m quite good at this game and then go into MP and get there [edited]kicked , then quit anyway. 

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm

MaxMiner11 #5 Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:17 PM

Major

• Players
  • 28099 battles
It totally messed up my seal clubbing in Era 1. :hiding:
[X] I am not a BOT

MaxMiner11 #6 Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:29 PM

Major

• Players
  • 28099 battles

View PostIBROX 04, on 12 January 2022 - 11:58 AM, said:

+ Given new players this less/more damage thing, ain’t going to work, gonna think… oh I’m quite good at this game and then go into MP and get there [edited]kicked , then quit anyway. 

But at least they will be able to control their tank better.  There is a learning curve for that.  Trying to learn how to drive and shoot while up against live players is really tough.
[X] I am not a BOT

cooliocory90954 #7 Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:31 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 30141 battles
  • [DNMC]
This is dumb i never had this when i started

HybredXero #8 Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:33 PM

Major

• Players
  • 40529 battles
  • [_GME_]
why not bring back all the stuff like hunt the E-100 and all those?  Pacific island was a great way to make silver, granted you kinda needed the Type 59 and had a good knowledge of the run, that really should have never been nerfed.

"Trusting the Blue Falcon is like playing Russian Roulette....with six rounds in the chamber"

"CEDAT FORTUNA PERITIS" (Let Fortune Yield to Experience)

IBROX 04 #9 Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:49 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23953 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostMaxMiner11, on 12 January 2022 - 08:29 PM, said:

But at least they will be able to control their tank better.  There is a learning curve for that.  Trying to learn how to drive and shoot while up against live players is really tough.

Personally I think WG are aiming for the younger audience. Ain’t gonna work and they ain’t gonna pump £££ into this game. This game has a bad reputation within the gaming community. Think WG should also go read the reviews in the store Lol . But best of luck to WG . 

Panzerkeks 123 #10 Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:56 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 66944 battles

View PostT33kanneWG, on 12 January 2022 - 08:32 PM, said:

We apologize for not sharing the information earlier. Moving forward, we will be better about sharing these gameplay impacting experiments.

Unfortunately, there has been a fundamental problem here for quite some time. Wargaming changes the game depending on the mood, but they only react when the criticism gets louder and louder. This is also how bad politicians act. Many players want transparency in advance. Are you afraid of a (EDIT)storm? It is better to speak openly than to hide something. 

I am one of those players who can adapt and have a lot of fun. Still, I don't like the way you communicate at all. 6.0 is the best negative example. Fortunately, the population has grown again :izmena:

Edited by WingedRacer, 12 January 2022 - 09:39 PM.

Sir Lancelot62 #11 Posted 12 January 2022 - 09:18 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 54733 battles

Times change….I remember playing my Tier 3 against Tier 10’s, It  wasn’t fun (all I had was a tutorial and away I went) but there was something in this game that got me hooked and I have played it ever since ,through  good updates and the really bad ones……New players need to get hooked, just like I did,I don’t think by tinkering with what damage they receive or what damage they dish out will help, its not all about bang bang bang ,this is a strategy game and needs to be taught and learnt…. it’s a cruel battlefield  out there and they take no prisoners . I think a really good tutorial and a gentle push into the real game should be adopted………ALSO …. Restrict what type/tier tank newbies can control within the game and don’t let them buy/carry out Ops which award a high tier tank….and don’t forget WG, playing WWII and Cold War battles need different strategies ,so I would not allow New Players to play both modes at the same time, start with WWII first and progress to Cold War (and onto True Vision)……

Happy Tanking everyone….

SteelReigN81 #12 Posted 12 January 2022 - 09:23 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 54230 battles
Anything that might help the game grow is worth trying.

RogueTrooper180 #13 Posted 12 January 2022 - 09:31 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19941 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostHaukkis, on 12 January 2022 - 08:47 PM, said:

Some sort of in-game Wikipedia would be really useful for new players and even veteran players could learn from that. Most players are just too lazy to search information from official Wot webpage or from youtube. Proper explanation how all crew skills work, how bushes and spotting work, what is maximum rendering distance in WW2, overmatching etc. Please consider adding some sort of in-game Wikipedia/Help that you could access in-game. 

View PostIBROX 04, on 12 January 2022 - 08:53 PM, said:

View PostIBROX 04, on 12 January 2022 - 08:58 PM, said:

View PostMaxMiner11, on 12 January 2022 - 09:29 PM, said:

View PostHybredXero, on 12 January 2022 - 09:33 PM, said:

why not bring back all the stuff like hunt the E-100 and all those?  Pacific island was a great way to make silver, granted you kinda needed the Type 59 and had a good knowledge of the run, that really should have never been nerfed.

View PostIBROX 04, on 12 January 2022 - 09:49 PM, said:

Personally I think WG are aiming for the younger audience. Ain’t gonna work and they ain’t gonna pump £££ into this game. This game has a bad reputation within the gaming community. Think WG should also go read the reviews in the store Lol . But best of luck to WG . 

View PostPanzerkeks 123, on 12 January 2022 - 09:56 PM, said:

Unfortunately, there has been a fundamental problem here for quite some time. Wargaming changes the game depending on the mood, but they only react when the criticism gets louder and louder. This is also how bad politicians act. Many players want transparency in advance. Are you afraid of a shitstorm? It is better to speak openly than to hide something. 

I am one of those players who can adapt and have a lot of fun. Still, I don't like the way you communicate at all. 6.0 is the best negative example. Fortunately, the population has grown again :izmena:

View PostSir Lancelot62, on 12 January 2022 - 10:18 PM, said:

Times change….I remember playing my Tier 3 against Tier 10’s, It  wasn’t fun (all I had was a tutorial and away I went) but there was something in this game that got me hooked and I have played it ever since ,through  good updates and the really bad ones……New players need to get hooked, just like I did,I don’t think by tinkering with what damage they receive or what damage they dish out will help, its not all about bang bang bang ,this is a strategy game and needs to be taught and learnt…. it’s a cruel battlefield  out there and they take no prisoners . I think a really good tutorial and a gentle push into the real game should be adopted………ALSO …. Restrict what type/tier tank newbies can control within the game and don’t let them buy/carry out Ops which award a high tier tank….and don’t forget WG, playing WWII and Cold War battles need different strategies ,so I would not allow New Players to play both modes at the same time, start with WWII first and progress to Cold War (and onto True Vision)……

Happy Tanking everyone….

Some solid suggestions and arguments above there @T33kannewg. Are the players really being listened to, or is this just another one of those it is what it is, deal with it announcements?

We really do value this game dude, a lot of us have some serious time and cash invested in this game, and ya all haven’t really been showing the love back for that over the years, what with the issues that have been repeatedly raised, and in particular since 6.0

This is a real opportunity for the game, and indeed for WG to show that you listen to us, and value our opinions and input.

Peace dude, hope it works out. :honoring:

Edited by RogueTrooper180, 12 January 2022 - 09:32 PM.

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU DON’T TRY

“If we can make it to the ground, we'll take the next chance. And the next. On and on until we win… or the chances are spent.” Jyn Erso ...

IBROX 04 #14 Posted 12 January 2022 - 09:31 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23953 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostSteelReigN81, on 12 January 2022 - 09:23 PM, said:

Anything that might help the game grow is worth trying.

True. But at the expense of others? Is what some are unhappy about. Instead of being upfront about stuff, WG try and keep it quiet. It’s like they never learn and keep making the same “let’s hide it or keep it quiet “ routine. I take it with this new idea thingy . The delete low tiers idea didn’t work and we still have a seal clubbing problem? 

atwilliams07 #15 Posted 12 January 2022 - 10:01 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 46081 battles

+1 for (finally) doing something about the new player experience.  It’s been awful for some time, ever since you decided to remove many of the things new players would have used to familiarise themselves with the game such as:

• Tier 1 and 2 (as the entry point for the game)
  • War Stories
  • Proving Grounds

-1 for thinking you could test something like this and the community wouldn’t notice.

As others have said, there needs to be much more than abit of an RNG boost to help newer players.  Lots of ideas have been shared on other threads in the last few days.  Some of them are good!

Derekthetree #16 Posted 12 January 2022 - 10:40 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24436 battles
  • [BEARD]

View PostT33kanneWG, on 12 January 2022 - 07:32 PM, said:

Note: Our testing of new player conditions in December generated very positive effects for new players. Not only did they play more matches on average, but they also returned to the game at a much higher rate.

It was Christmas, people get new consoles as gifts or just want to try something new with their extra free time.

No surprise that player retention (by whatever measure you want to pick) might increase.

If you are so proud, why not share the actual numbers of new players, or the increase in matches played?

And even if it was due to substantially buffing them for 10 games you think a brand new player would notice?

You had training friendly modes (war stories etc) but they were removed, and player skill went down the pan.

You made CW accessible from the get go, and new players get stomped on.

Panzerkeks 123 #17 Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:04 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 66944 battles
not more relevant 

Fleshy Nun #18 Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:59 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23408 battles

Hey WGCB, doing so you just master the stupidity of developing on epic scale. 

If you REALLY wanna help new players get your game cleaned from all existing mess. 

You welcome! 

P6X330 #19 Posted 13 January 2022 - 12:38 AM

Major

• Players
  • 20325 battles
  • [AMXS]

How about implementing the mentor/mentee program I suggested?

A mentor could identify himself as such, and have green horns able to platoon with them in the same way Sony's community was enabling before they shut it down.

DaffierPear6 #20 Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:32 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 37757 battles
  • [1CAB]

Nice to see you approaching the Forum Community on this subject!  Thank you TeeKanne.

Here are a few suggestions:

1.  Agree with locking new players in Co-Op for first 100 games, but you need to expand The Tutorial to introduce more skills and introduce people to the mechanics of equipment, ammunition types, Commander Skills, Spotting/Camouflage, True Vision, Side Scraping, Boosters and Multipliers, etc.  This should culminate with Platoon Creation and Disbanding and adding "in-game" friends as well as Cross Platform Friends and communication as well as an introduction to the Tank Recruiter Program.

2.  Have specific Ops in Co-Op for new players to complete which assist them to learn basic skills such as Bounce 500 incoming rounds, Track 100 Tanks, Repair Module 250 times, Set 100 Tanks on fire, Spot 500 Tanks whilst being undetected, etc.  You could break it up in groups of 100 for each with increasing rewards for each Stage including Garage Slots, Camo Vouchers, 3D Crews, and once all Ops completed a WW2 Tier 5 or higher Crew Trainer Tank AND an Era 1 Premium.

3.  Once a new player enters Multiplayer games they are automatically entered into the Recruit Program.  Implement changes in game to identify Veteran players who are registered as Recruiters/Trainers so new players can identify such Veterans and can message them.   Once a new player and a Veteran become in-game friends they are linked as Recruit-Recruiter and earn rewards in Platoons as detailed in the Program.

This is likely to increase the interest of new players and enable them to learn the game and also become a part of the community!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users