Just found the forums? New to WoT? Read me.

RNG Matchmaking Derp Gun Depression and more answers to your questions tank guides

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

vampyrii #1 Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

Major

• Supertester
  • 8669 battles

Let me start by saying that I in NO WAY consider myself more experienced than the average WoT player. Just trying to share what I have learned so far, playing WoT on both platforms.

Sooooooooooo,

What maps I am going to see when playing with my tier III tank? What tanks play on which maps?

See this image provided  by WGWPAIN, Creative Dir./Exec. Producer for WoT XBOX.

Spoiler

What is gun depression?
Formal answer: It's how far you can aim down your gun.
WoT : Gun Depression is what you get when no matter what you do you can't pen the tanks on the other team and when you do they are just low damage hits.

What is a Derp - Derp Gun?
A high caliber gun that is very inaccurate and is best for shooting HE shells (for example the 183mm).

Ammo types?
HE - High Explosive. A standard shell type available for every gun in game.
AP - Armor Piercing. Standard shell type available for almost all guns in game.
APCR - Armor Piercing Composite Rigid. Premium shell type available for most guns in game.
HEAT - High Explosive Anti Tank. Premium shell available for mainly Howitzers and artillery guns only.

HESH - High explosive squash head, used by all tier 10 UK tanks except their SPG's; basically a HE shell with higher penetration.

Which tank is the best?
There is no best tank. Each has their own weaknesses and strengths. Find out what you enjoy playing in, and find out what tank suits your play style. Often, the best tank is the one you enjoy driving the most.

Why do Germans ignite frontally?
The transmission for the German tanks is located in the front of the tank. Hitting this is like hitting the engine, so you can damage, destroy or ignite an engine of a German tank from the front. This is added because the transmission fluid is flammable.

Why does my M5 Stuart/Panzer 38 nA/ see Tier 8 and 9 tanks?
Those tanks see higher tier tanks because they are Tier 4 lights. At that stage, they are no longer bound by the two tiers above or below match making rule, and deemed scouts (which have +5 tiers above them matchmaking.). This applies to dedicated scouts like the Luchs and others as well.

Why is there a camp set up inside the flag?
The pile of boxes and the wooden pole structure have two roles. One, they make the base not look like some arbitary position on the map, but a used position. Two, they serve as cover. Both will block exactly one shot each. If one is capturing the flag, this cover can save them and allow them to finish capturing.
Will destroying the ammo crates speed up the cap count? Absolutely NO.

How Platoons and Matchmaker work?
Whenever people platoon, MM looks at the highest tier in the platoon in order to place it in a game.

So, I was in a tier V, but my platoon mates were in tier VIII tanks, so MM disregarding my tier, places tier VIII's in a game with a 2 tier spread, meaning, they could end up in any game that includes tier VI (my platoon mates would have been the top tanks) to tier X tanks (where they were bottom tanks). With my luck, we ended up 2 tiers above!

If you play a low tier tank and end up in a very high tier battle, I don't think you can contribute much. You may be able to scout if your tank is fast and has good camo and view range, but other than that, there isn't much you can do with you level V gun among level VIII to X guns. It's more like bringing a knife to a gun fight. I don't think it will help your team much.

Full in depth details about how matchmaker works for XBOX version. - Link-

What is PEN?

PEN is a short for Penetration. Aiming properly and hitting the enemy tank are only the means to an end, and that is actually damaging and eventually disabling it. And that is not automatic. Once you have hit an enemy vehicle, the game then calculates where the shot hit the enemy, at what angle you struck the armor, the effective thickness of the armor (based on the impact angle), and thus ultimately whether your shell penetrates the armor.

What is R.N.G. ???

Random Number Generator. It's essentially the reason why your gun can do +/- whatever it's average damage is.

Your guns have what you call Alpha Damage and Alpha Penetration.
For example, a gun with the following stats:

PEN 175 || DMG 230.

The pen and damage during a battle ARE not equal to the Alphas. It could be much higher of lower. Each time you shoot you "Roll The Dice" the RNG picks a random number from the Minimum Pen and DMG number to the Maximum number.

If you are lucky you get a good number and penetrate the enemy and deal a good damage, if you're having a bad luck you will get minimum pen and damage. Its Random like its name says.

Do fallen trees provide cover?

The PC WoT wiki reads: You can use the different objects on the map to provide additional cover. Solid objects like terrain elevations, rocks, houses, or other static objects on the map cannot be seen through and thus always provide 100%  camouflage, i.e. you will not be spotted. But also half-transparent objects like bushes or trees (up or felled) provide a camouflage bonus up to 64%, depending on the density of the object.

It is confirmed that this is true for Xbox360 WoT:

View PostNyx WGA, on 07 October 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

That is a reference from the PC wiki, but it is also correct for us. As stated in that video, fallen trees can provide the same sort of cover that a bush does :)

How can I get a Premium vehicle back which I have sold?

Players now have the ability to use 4 Exceptions per year in order to potentially roll back a regretful decision or a mistake made in the Garage. The Exceptions given to players will replenish each year, on January 1st. Once a new year starts, an Exception can only be applied to actions made in the current calendar year, except for tank restorations. For example, Exceptions given in 2015 can only be applied to errors made within that same calendar year unless you are restoring a tank. FULL INFO -->  here.

How to defrag the game in case I am loading late into battles?
Xbox 360 ONLY. At initial screen.
Press Left bumper (LB) and Right bumper (RB) and Y - keep them pressed and press START.
A defrag/maintenance sequence will start saying "Managing Layout".

How to install/ reinstall World of Tanks on Xbox One.

Spoiler

What are Operations (OPS) and where do i find them?

What to Know About Operations

To begin, move over to the "Ops" tab at the top of the Garage screen to see which Operations are available. Here you'll be able to see the Operations' details, including conditions, duration and rewards.

Operations are only available for a certain amount of time, so be sure to check for how long one is available. Once time is up, the Operation will no longer appear in the menu. 

You can work on up to three Operations at one time. Active Ops will be highlighted in grey. Keep in mind that to complete an Operation, it must be active until the very end of the battle. For example, if you are destroyed in battle and return to the Garage before the battle ends, you must wait until your vehicle returns to deactivate the Operation or switch to a new one. Otherwise, the battle will not be counted. Once an Operation is completed, the box to the left of the condition will be checked (unless it's repeatable).

Should you decide to deactivate an Operation before completing it, the progress you have made will be saved. You will not lose any progress by switching from one Operation to another. However, any inactive Operation will not gain progress, so be sure to re-activate when you're ready to continue.

Bonus Operations, highlighted in a gold color, are available during special events, and are automatically activated. Though you're unable to deactivate Bonus Operations, they will not count against your three active Operations.

Lets talk about STATS.

Do not care about your stats until you reach ~4000 battles and have played a few hundred battles with tier VIII tanks.

What is this WN8 everybody talks about?

WN8 seeks to measure the measurable contribution to matches, across an account, and hopefully infers some information about the "skill". "Skill" cannot be measured like a statistic (i.e. a simple number) so it takes a math type to calculate it. It would be properly named "Metric" or 'Delta value".

WN8 should not be considered the be-all-end-all of skill evaluation. It is intended to be looked at next to win-rate, battle count, average tier, and will never replace the inspection of the Service Record or platooning with someone or watching their replays. This is because WN8 cannot capture things like timing, target priority, teamwork or decision making abilities.

HOW DO I FIND MY WN8

Go to this site here --> link.

What is that Player ID this site (Wot Info) asks me?

Spoiler

You can also have a forum signature similar to this one.

Where does the word Unicum come from? Is is a "dirty" word?

Absolutely not. Word comes from the Latin ūnicum, the neuter nominative singular form of ūnicus (“unique;).

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Final advice. Play with you microphone on (not your kinect) and think of this:

View PostSILVERFISHX, on 05 November 2014 - 01:50 AM, said:

Learn and use the insta-mute for the dingbats.  Refrain from arguments with goofballs and save chatter for the lobby or for the game when some dude is the last alive and doesn't have a mic on.  Coordinate fire, congratulate good shots, respond to panic and calm your allies.  Win by killing all the reds.

Where do I go to find out more?

If you made it here, congrats. Before visiting any of the other links, start here:

• WoT Xbox360 Wiki --> LINK<--
  • Community Tanking Guides. --> Link
  • Matthew J35U5 guide for WoT Xbox 360 with YT Videos. --> Link.
  • YouTube video about Crews, Perks, Skills for WoT Xbox. --> Link.
  • Frogman's Guide to Silver for WoT Xbox 360. --> Link.
  • Game play tip - To capture the flag OR Not? by OnAPaleStallion --> Link
  • Stayin' Alive. A ten point survival checklist for new players. --> Link.
  • The Krazed Ace guide for WoT Xbox 360 (on how to get experience) --> Link.
  • The Krazed Ace guide for WoT Xbox 360 (on how to angle your armor) --> Link.
  • The Krazed Ace guide for WoT Xbox 360 (on how to camouflage) --> Link.
  • The Krazed Ace guide for WoT Xbox 360 (on how to capture and defense works) --> Link.
  • The Krazed Ace guide for WoT Xbox 360 (what not to do when someone is sitting in a bush) --> Link.
  • Tank reviews. --> Link
  • Tank Analyzer. --> Link
  • WoT Guru - Weak Spot guides. --> Link
  • Package Analysis forum thread.  --> Link
  • Battle Mechanics . --> Link
  • How Matchmaking works --> Link
  • What type is my tank's engine? Diesel? Gasoline? Find it here.

Edited by vampyrii, 11 February 2016 - 12:53 PM.

My threads: Just found the forums? New to WoT? Read me.|| Real world locations for the maps.|| How to find your WN8: Read the OP first.
Map guide for Port and Live Oaks || Must read thread by XxDAFFYxxDUCKxX || Opinion: Tier 3&4 should have PMM.

Garage:
Click here to submit: Xbox Support ticket - PS4 Support ticket.

Maredevil247 #2 Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10410 battles
  • [XFRX]
k

My service record

Achievement count - 92/99

Currently grinding -  AMX AC 48, Amx 13 90, Lor. 155 mle. 50

Premiums - T2 light, T1E6-X, T7 combat car, Locust, Blitzen, Raseiniai, Tetrarch, Matilda IV, Matilda BP, Fv 4202 (p), Sentinel AC1, Pz. IV Hydro, Pz. II J, Grosstracktor, Fcm36 pak40

Wookie Shanker #3 Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 9340 battles
  • [CRYPT]

Vamp you champ. :happy: Very nicely written. I hope that new forum users will find their way to this thread. +1

@Maredevil, You didn't have to post that. If you have nothing structured to add in response can you refrain from clicking post.

Edited by Wookie Shanker, 11 April 2014 - 11:20 AM.

Maredevil247 #4 Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10410 battles
  • [XFRX]
I had too :P

My service record

Achievement count - 92/99

Currently grinding -  AMX AC 48, Amx 13 90, Lor. 155 mle. 50

Premiums - T2 light, T1E6-X, T7 combat car, Locust, Blitzen, Raseiniai, Tetrarch, Matilda IV, Matilda BP, Fv 4202 (p), Sentinel AC1, Pz. IV Hydro, Pz. II J, Grosstracktor, Fcm36 pak40

LadyObscura WGA #5 Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

Publishing Associate - Console

• Administrator
  • 1464 battles
  • [WGW]
Thanks for putting this together!

ghillie1sniper1 #6 Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 4025 battles

Why doesn't my crew bar move much?

Crew experience is divided among of your crew members, an empty bar represents 50% crew experience.

Ammo Types?

HESH- High explosive squash head, used by all tier 10 UK tanks except their SPG's; basically a HE shell with higher penetration.

girl.gif
"Assault destroyer, proud to serve!"           "Since the dawn of man, unintelligent people have been unable to recognize their own inadequacies, therefore anything that doesn't happen exactly how they imagined it would must be the fault of someone else."           "Mace 2 Face"         "I am lightning, the rain transformed"     "Little mac ain't no air fighter "      In the interest of protecting you my ass,  screw off.            Arma, Insurgency, Red Orchestra, Operation Flashpoint.          Valrave, Mirai Nikki,  Kiseijuu, Aldnoah, Brynhildr,

Nicholas Sapien #7 Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

Major

• Supertester
  • 28639 battles
  • [ACES]
Thanks for the tips:trollface:

​Member of the Senior Technical Engineer Club

[ACES] Armoured Aces "Louder than God's revolver and twice as shiny" "SLAYER OF ALL THAT IS THICC"

Matthew J35U5 #8 Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

Major

• Club Wargaming
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View Postvampyrii, on 10 April 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

Community Tanking Guides. --> Link

I think I'll link this guide in that guide so that people will be able to find this link from that link, and that link from this link! :tongue:

Edit—Now I just need to figure out where to categorize this...

Edited by Matthew J35U5, 10 April 2014 - 03:48 PM.

KeystoneCops, on 14 June 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

DieHardELOFan86 #9 Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8973 battles
vampyrii I just added your guide into my guide... I hope you don't mind.

Signature by METALHELLIONx84, ELO ROCKS !!! thanks METALHELLIONx84 from DieHardELOFan86

Note to all: Do NOT upvote me I am serious... I hate being upvoted if you don't stop I will put all of you on ignore list I AM SERIOUS! (wish downvotes would come back I prefer that.)

vampyrii #10 Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

Major

• Supertester
  • 8669 battles

View PostMatthew J35U5, on 10 April 2014 - 06:47 PM, said:

I think I'll link this guide in that guide so that people will be able to find this link from that link, and that link from this link! :tongue:

Edit—Now I just need to figure out where to categorize this...

View PostDieHardELOFan86, on 10 April 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

vampyrii I just added your guide into my guide... I hope you don't mind.

Thanks. It nice to link each other's guides so that new players can get as much info as possible. :)
(implying the find the forums eventually). (added link to yours EloFan).

My threads: Just found the forums? New to WoT? Read me.|| Real world locations for the maps.|| How to find your WN8: Read the OP first.
Map guide for Port and Live Oaks || Must read thread by XxDAFFYxxDUCKxX || Opinion: Tier 3&4 should have PMM.

Garage:

vampyrii #11 Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

Major

• Supertester
  • 8669 battles

View Postghillie1sniper1, on 10 April 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

View Postghillie1sniper1, on 10 April 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

Why doesn't my crew bar move much?

Crew experience is divided among of your crew members, an empty bar represents 50% crew experience.

Ammo Types?

HESH- High explosive squash head, used by all tier 10 UK tanks except their SPG's; basically a HE shell with higher penetration.

I will wait on the crews point until Saturday. (I will wait to see if tomorrow's update announcement has anything to do with this. If not I will edit my post). Thanks.

Garage:

ST7A Bad Karma #12 Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 1383 battles

Great guide, and great links.

Many thanks.

OnAPaleStallion #13 Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 6878 battles

Vamp, would you be so kind to consider adding this?

http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/15383-to-cap-or-not-to-cap-is-not-the-question/page__fromsearch__1

To the last, I grapple with thee; From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last shell at thee.

vampyrii #14 Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

Major

• Supertester
  • 8669 battles

View PostOnAPaleStallion, on 10 April 2014 - 10:32 PM, said:

Done. Thanks. :)

Garage:

rhymeswithN00bs #15 Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 12931 battles
  • [GIRLS]

Nice post. I was wondering what all this stuff meant.

Will destroying the ammo crates speed up the cap count?

XOXO, Noobius Y

OnAPaleStallion #16 Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 6878 battles

View PostRhymeswithN00bs, on 10 April 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

Negative, another of the many long time rumors that get spread by the uneducated. Only good for hiding a light CAPping or taking 1 shot for you. Pro Tip: Destroy your's on the way out of the base, don't destroy the OPfors.

To the last, I grapple with thee; From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last shell at thee.

OnAPaleStallion #17 Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 6878 battles

View Postvampyrii, on 10 April 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

Done. Thanks. :)

No, Thank you.

vampyrii #18 Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

Major

• Supertester
  • 8669 battles

View PostRhymeswithN00bs, on 10 April 2014 - 11:35 PM, said:

Thanks and Nope. :D

Garage:

LadyObscura WGA #19 Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

Publishing Associate - Console

• Administrator
  • 1464 battles
  • [WGW]

View PostRhymeswithN00bs, on 10 April 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

I wonder why, where and when this rumor started!

IndyJarhead #20 Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:04 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6526 battles

View PostLadyObscura WGA, on 10 April 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

I wonder why, where and when this rumor started!

this started quite some time ago. i have been yelled at on a few occasion by people in regard to this claiming that Admins/Dev team confirmed destroying the structure at cap would speed the process. 

"You, you, and you... panic. The rest of you, come with me."

http://theveteransgamingclan.org/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users