M4 Sherman takes on the world (or at least half the enemy team)

Carry Like a Boss

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Maniakkid25 #1 Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25153 battles

Okay, so I'll paint the scene: Mountain Pass pre-1.1. I'm in my maxed out M4 Sherman, and I just need one more good game to get the Easy 8. I was, indeed, Top Tier. I get South Spawn, and I'm already cursing the RNG. So, going on auto-pilot, I pick the NE flank, which is good, because I was only accompanied by about 3 tanks. The rest of the team? Well, the three Arties go up Arty Hill, and the rest form a lemming train that goes around the SW. They deadlock the bridge, but the idiots that went SW get pincered!

NOW! Skip ahead: I notice a light tank SCREAMING into our base and, more importantly, our artillery. Apparently, I'm the only one who pays attention, because I'm the only one on my flank who actually turns around to back them up (I did announce "Defend the Base", so they have no excuse; they just suck!). Unfortunately, the M4 isn't as fast as an M5 Stuart, and he kills two of our artillery. But, the third one (a great St.Pz. 2 player) derped the Stuart, and I managed to make it there by that point to take out the Sherman that was backing up the Stuart.

But now it's just us. And the enemy team still has 7 tanks; a Heavy, 2 Lights, an AFK Medium, and 3 Arty. Second Light zooms in (can't recall the model), nails the St.Pz.

Now I'm alone.

Against 7 enemy tanks.

...If I'm going down, I'm taking as many of you b@stards with me!

Nail the light hard, and headed to the SW flank, try to get their artillery and cap. Another Stuart! And he has the Howitzer! I shoot him once, he hits me, blows my tracks off.

Game over.

I reload in time to kill the Stuart, and now I'm just waiting for Arty to finish me off, because I'm sitting at about 150 HP. First shell lands RIGHT in front of me, no splash. Before the second shell comes in, my tracks are repaired, and I back up.

The second shell lands where I was not even a second ago.

Holy crap.

Now, I had already started down the SW, but I know they'll expect me there, so I turn and head up the bridge. And just as I cross the bridge, I hear the air raid sirens.

What else can I do?

I turn around, and notice that a St. Pz. II and an M7 Priest charging down the valley! Okay?! Move on, and the M7 climbs over the hill, and misses me by a few meters. Nailed him, move on back to base.

Oh crap. It's a T1 Heavy at 75%+ health.

I'm running at the base at full tilt, so I do the only thing I can, and try to use the maneuverability of the Sherman to my advantage, see if I can't get past his turret rotation. I manage to make it there and reset him at 70% cap ON THE DOT. First shot, he misses, second shot hits me, puts me at 10% HP (either 46 or 43 hp). Third shot misses BY INCHES, and I'm past his turret. So, circle strafe (because he's too stupid to try and, you know, turn with the turret), kill him, back to Arty hunt. OH LOOK, There's the St.Pz. 2! Nail him, move on down the valley. Where is their last-.

Crap. M7 Priest is at the top of the hill, and he's going TD mode.

NOT HAVING ANY OF THAT! Turn off, head for the NE, find their AFK Medium (which I take no chances with, and snipe the BAREST SLIVER of its turret. It was an M2 Medium, btw), and move up to the cap circle. I'm not actually moving to cap, I'm trying to see if I can't ambush the last arty, because it's just me and him left. A ROCK! Hide, switch to HE! ...Wait, crap! He'll proxy spot me! Okay, to the Arty Ridge; maybe I can snipe him.

We spot each other at the base of the hill, and he's pointing the wrong way. I fired, and...well, I think the picture says it all.

1525358_799053540124136_182423096_n.jpg

That is probably the best game I've ever played. I mean, the only one that could come close to matching it is my Pool's in my Wolverine, but that wasn't anything special aside from me playing a TD like a Medium tank!

But yeah, goes to show when you have a mix of 10% skill, 20% luck, and 70% I don't even know what.

I can help you win a match. Just don't expect me to survive it.

RAGNAR0K N ROLL #2 Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 18680 battles
  • [JOCO]
+1's  That is an absolutely exhilarating feeling isn't it?

The Warrior of The Wasteland...The Ayatollah of Rock N' Rolla....

Lone Wolfing since day 1

Maniakkid25 #3 Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25153 battles

Damn straight! The entire time, I was just expecting to fail spectacularly, and when I did it, and I basically had to put down the controller and walk away. Because there's no way I could ever top that. Just no way!

Also, something I should mention: I was NOT using the Derp Sherman. I was using the 76 mm M1A1. Just wanted to mention that.

RAGNAR0K N ROLL #4 Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:05 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 18680 battles
  • [JOCO]

Even better.

I still can't break my addiction to the derp Hetzer though.

The Warrior of The Wasteland...The Ayatollah of Rock N' Rolla....

Lone Wolfing since day 1

XKiwiIsAwesomeX #5 Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:14 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8146 battles

View PostManiakkid25, on 21 April 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

Okay, so I'll paint the scene: Mountain Pass pre-1.1. I'm in my maxed out M4 Sherman, and I just need one more good game to get the Easy 8. I was, indeed, Top Tier. I get South Spawn, and I'm already cursing the RNG. So, going on auto-pilot, I pick the NE flank, which is good, because I was only accompanied by about 3 tanks. The rest of the team? Well, the three Arties go up Arty Hill, and the rest form a lemming train that goes around the SW. They deadlock the bridge, but the idiots that went SW get pincered!

NOW! Skip ahead: I notice a light tank SCREAMING into our base and, more importantly, our artillery. Apparently, I'm the only one who pays attention, because I'm the only one on my flank who actually turns around to back them up (I did announce "Defend the Base", so they have no excuse; they just suck!). Unfortunately, the M4 isn't as fast as an M5 Stuart, and he kills two of our artillery. But, the third one (a great St.Pz. 2 player) derped the Stuart, and I managed to make it there by that point to take out the Sherman that was backing up the Stuart.

But now it's just us. And the enemy team still has 7 tanks; a Heavy, 2 Lights, an AFK Medium, and 3 Arty. Second Light zooms in (can't recall the model), nails the St.Pz.

Now I'm alone.

Against 7 enemy tanks.

...If I'm going down, I'm taking as many of you b@stards with me!

Nail the light hard, and headed to the SW flank, try to get their artillery and cap. Another Stuart! And he has the Howitzer! I shoot him once, he hits me, blows my tracks off.

Game over.

I reload in time to kill the Stuart, and now I'm just waiting for Arty to finish me off, because I'm sitting at about 150 HP. First shell lands RIGHT in front of me, no splash. Before the second shell comes in, my tracks are repaired, and I back up.

The second shell lands where I was not even a second ago.

Holy crap.

Now, I had already started down the SW, but I know they'll expect me there, so I turn and head up the bridge. And just as I cross the bridge, I hear the air raid sirens.

What else can I do?

I turn around, and notice that a St. Pz. II and an M7 Priest charging down the valley! Okay?! Move on, and the M7 climbs over the hill, and misses me by a few meters. Nailed him, move on back to base.

Oh crap. It's a T1 Heavy at 75%+ health.

I'm running at the base at full tilt, so I do the only thing I can, and try to use the maneuverability of the Sherman to my advantage, see if I can't get past his turret rotation. I manage to make it there and reset him at 70% cap ON THE DOT. First shot, he misses, second shot hits me, puts me at 10% HP (either 46 or 43 hp). Third shot misses BY INCHES, and I'm past his turret. So, circle strafe (because he's too stupid to try and, you know, turn with the turret), kill him, back to Arty hunt. OH LOOK, There's the St.Pz. 2! Nail him, move on down the valley. Where is their last-.

Crap. M7 Priest is at the top of the hill, and he's going TD mode.

NOT HAVING ANY OF THAT! Turn off, head for the NE, find their AFK Medium (which I take no chances with, and snipe the BAREST SLIVER of its turret. It was an M2 Medium, btw), and move up to the cap circle. I'm not actually moving to cap, I'm trying to see if I can't ambush the last arty, because it's just me and him left. A ROCK! Hide, switch to HE! ...Wait, crap! He'll proxy spot me! Okay, to the Arty Ridge; maybe I can snipe him.

We spot each other at the base of the hill, and he's pointing the wrong way. I fired, and...well, I think the picture says it all.

1525358_799053540124136_182423096_n.jpg

That is probably the best game I've ever played. I mean, the only one that could come close to matching it is my Pool's in my Wolverine, but that wasn't anything special aside from me playing a TD like a Medium tank!

But yeah, goes to show when you have a mix of 10% skill, 20% luck, and 70% I don't even know what.

I have only heard those heroics in Shermans with the derp, but you said you had the last 76 equiped.   Balls and guts dude, pretty sweet story.

2nd Wave Beta Tester

:popcorn:

Member of The Wild Bunch

Maniakkid25 #6 Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:12 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25153 battles

Well, this was in between the time that I was told HE is crap, and I realized "oh wait, HE still does damage even if it doesn't pen!" Hence, 76 instead of derp. Knowing what I do now...I'd still use the 76. It technically has lower DPM, but I'd prefer to be able to pen things, and HEAT is VERY unforgiving if it hits anything that isn't flat on.

I'd call it an ungodly amount of luck, because seriously? I've got a 50.9% win rate. I'm okay, but that will probably never happen again. The moment I was alone, I just started rolling 20s for about 5 straight minutes. But still, I've always had one thing to say in a game you know you've lost: Do not go gently into that good night. If you keep up the fight...you can pull a clutch like this. And I say "almost" because, if I'm having a really bad day, and either the MM just screws me hard or my team is rock stupid from the get go (Like, 5 medium tanks camping the Arty Ridge on the North side of Mountain Pass stupid), I just suicide from the outset. As in "opening minute of the game" outset. ...The Flat-Panzer grind was not fun times.

xDDAY1944x #7 Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 2396 battles
Sweet:medal:

Grinding: T32, M18 Hellcat, M41, Jagdpanzer IV, Valentine, Alecto, A-20, T-28

Elite: M24 Chaffee, M4 Sherman, Sherman Jumbo, Easy 8, T29, Stug III

Premium: T2 light, T1E6-X, M22 Locust, T14, T-15, JagdTiger 8,8, Tog II, Valentine II, KV-5

Unkindled Wolf #8 Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3082 battles
  • [FNOFF]
are you Brad Pitt ?

Also tagged with Carry, Like a Boss

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users