FV215b (183) Review

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Ignitable Duk #1 Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:13 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7706 battles

This Tier 10 British tank destroyer is nicknamed "The Deathstar" for a reason.

Pros:

• Largest direct fire (non arty) gun in the game, a 183mm L4, as the name - FV215b (183) states.
  • Each HESH round has 1,750 average damage
  • Faster and much more nimble than the JpzE-100 and the T110E3
  • It has the highest penetration of all the tier 10 tank destroyers using its armour-piercing rounds
  • Has a rear mounted turret with 45 degrees of rotation, thus more dificult for nimble mediums to get around you, and also makes it easier to sidecrape in
  • If you fire HESH you have one of the highest DPM in the game

Cons:

• Neither hull nor turret are very bouncy, i have been penned by tier 8's in both places
  • Has a long reload time of 30 seconds, or 26 seconds if you have 100% crew and gun rammer. (still very slow, though you can work with it)
  • If you fire HESH ammo and you hit tracks or spaced armor, it will rarely penetrate, instead dealing 300~800 splash damage (from my experience)
  • Gun is one of the most inaccurate, thus not very well suited to long range combat
  • If you fire solely HESH (which is what this TD was made for), you will find unless you penetrate, or at least do a good amount of damage every shot, you will lose money

Gameplay Tips

• Stay with your teammates at ALL times, a lonely 183 is a dead 183.
  • When firing HESH, take your time when firing. If you dont have a good shot at a weakspot, maybe its not the best time to fire. However, if you need to fire at that moment, say you are being rushed, aim for the flattest part of armor you can find. Thats generally the best place to get the most out of your shot, but avoid spaced armor and tracks
  • The 183 is a second line tank. You should never (except for rare situations) push the attack in this TD

Suggested Equipment

• Large Caliber Tank Gun Rammer
  • Enhanced Gun Laying Drive
  • Improved Ventilation Class 3

The gun rammer, gun laying drive and vents will help you fire faster, aim faster, and generally improve all of your crew.

Anti FV215b(183) tips

• Wait untill it fires, you have a minimum of 26~30 seconds (a full minute or more if it has a damaged ammorack and/or a dead loader) to do as much damage as possible, or simply park behind it.
  • If you are able to track it, it has a turret so its not completely defensless, but its not too difficult to circle it.
  • Neither the hull or turret are very strong, the hull being weaker. If you are forced to shoot the turret, just avoid the gun manlet and you should be fine

If you see any problems or discrepancies, please feel free to point them out. ;)

MASTER DAMO #2 Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 11466 battles
Good review and well written. Am on my way down the Brit TD Line, currently in the AT7 which is not bad after you get the 20 pounder gun.

Ignitable Duk #3 Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7706 battles

View PostMASTER DAMO, on 24 April 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

Good review and well written. Am on my way down the Brit TD Line, currently in the AT7 which is not bad after you get the 20 pounder gun.

Thanks! I liked the AT-7, the top gun is also on the tier 8 brit mediums and heavies, so i always felt as if i had something a bit early ;)

MASTER DAMO #4 Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:26 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 11466 battles
Like most I use Mighty Jingles for WoT videos and tank reviews. Will check out your channel as well. Maybe we can do some platoons if you like.

Ignitable Duk #5 Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7706 battles

View PostMASTER DAMO, on 24 April 2014 - 08:26 PM, said:

Like most I use Mighty Jingles for WoT videos and tank reviews. Will check out your channel as well. Maybe we can do some platoons if you like.

Yeah i like watching Jingles and Quickybaby

Matthew J35U5 #6 Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:12 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostIgnitable Duk, on 24 April 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

Pros:

• A potential 2,188 damage from each penetrating HESH shot
  • Higher penetration value, when firing standard AP rounds, than any other tank in the game (artillery isnt a tank, its a SPG)
  • If you fire HESH you (theoretically) have the highest DPM of every tank in the game

Potential Damage Output

With a full crew and gun rammer, you will still only get to fire two times a minute, and if you roll the max, and penetrate, you will do 4,376 Damage per minute.

Anti FV215b(183) tips

• If you are able to track it, it has a turret so its not completely defensless, but its not too difficult to circle it.
  • Neither the hull or turret are very strong, the hull being weaker. If you are forced to shoot the turret, just avoid the gun manlet and you should be fine

If you see any problems or discrepancies, please feel free to point them out. ;)

I think that its not very useful to tell us what the max roll is on the HESH shells, giving us the average of 1750 should be sufficient. The second bullet point is kind of awkward, how about just saying, "The 183 has the highest penetration of the tier 10 tank destroyers using its armour-piercing rounds". You are also incorrect about the potential dpm, the Tortoise actually has the highest theoretical dpm with its HESH rounds, approximately 5500, whereas the 183 goes up to 4410 dpm. In your potential damage section, again, it isn't very valuable to tell us what our damage output is if we max-roll. Regarding the weaknesses section of your review, how wide is the gun traverse arc on the 183? If you're shooting the hull of the 183 where are you supposed to hit it? Can i penetrate the upper plate in my Jagdpanther II? 

Pretty nice review though, I think I'll add this to the list. If you want to add more to this guide, how about crew skill recommendations?

KeystoneCops, on 14 June 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

Ignitable Duk #7 Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7706 battles

View PostMatthew J35U5, on 24 April 2014 - 09:12 PM, said:

I think that its not very useful to tell us what the max roll is on the HESH shells, giving us the average of 1750 should be sufficient. The second bullet point is kind of awkward, how about just saying, "The 183 has the highest penetration of the tier 10 tank destroyers using its armour-piercing rounds". You are also incorrect about the potential dpm, the Tortoise actually has the highest theoretical dpm with its HESH rounds, approximately 5500, whereas the 183 goes up to 4410 dpm. In your potential damage section, again, it isn't very valuable to tell us what our damage output is if we max-roll. Regarding the weaknesses section of your review, how wide is the gun traverse arc on the 183? If you're shooting the hull of the 183 where are you supposed to hit it? Can i penetrate the upper plate in my Jagdpanther II?

Pretty nice review though, I think I'll add this to the list. If you want to add more to this guide, how about crew skill recommendations?

ill look at the points you said.. i just put this up to help people i didnt really think about each individual point too much

Matthew J35U5 #8 Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostIgnitable Duk, on 24 April 2014 - 05:22 PM, said:

ill look at the points you said.. i just put this up to help people i didnt really think about each individual point too much

Well, it still works for that, but more information isn't bad, yeah? I don't even know how much gun traverse the 183 has. 

KeystoneCops, on 14 June 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

Ignitable Duk #9 Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7706 battles

View PostMatthew J35U5, on 24 April 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

Well, it still works for that, but more information isn't bad, yeah? I don't even know how much gun traverse the 183 has.

im editing it as we type, btw its 45 degrees

geewizz #10 Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:40 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 23741 battles
  • [10000]

I have this tank and 4 other Tier X tanks. This is the worst excuse ever for a tank. It can't deflect enemy rounds and it can't shoot straight. Only shoots twice a week and most rounds "Bounce off". It's so big, it can't hide either. 

DON'T GO FOR THIS TANK! IT SUCKS. 

17 Tier X tanks. T110E5, T57 Heavy, T110E3, T110E4, FV215b, FV215b 183, E100, Jg.Pz. E 100, WT auf E100, B-C 25t, AMX 50 B, Foch 155
                      T-62A, Obj. 430, IS-7, IS-4, Obj. 268.

geewizz #11 Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:44 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 23741 battles
  • [10000]

View PostIgnitable Duk, on 24 April 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

Pros:

• Largest direct fire (non arty) gun in the game, a 183mm L4, as the name - FV215b (183) states.
  • Each HESH round has 1,750 average damage
  • Faster and much more nimble than the JpzE-100 and the T110E3
  • It has the highest penetration of all the tier 10 tank destroyers using its armour-piercing rounds
  • Has a rear mounted turret with 45 degrees of rotation, thus more dificult for nimble mediums to get around you, and also makes it easier to sidecrape in
  • If you fire HESH you have one of the highest DPM in the game

Cons:

• Neither hull nor turret are very bouncy, i have been penned by tier 8's in both places
  • Has a long reload time of 30 seconds, or 26 seconds if you have 100% crew and gun rammer. (still very slow, though you can work with it)
  • If you fire HESH ammo and you hit tracks or spaced armor, it will rarely penetrate, instead dealing 300~800 splash damage (from my experience)
  • Gun is one of the most inaccurate, thus not very well suited to long range combat
  • If you fire solely HESH (which is what this TD was made for), you will find unless you penetrate, or at least do a good amount of damage every shot, you will lose money

Gameplay Tips

• Stay with your teammates at ALL times, a lonely 183 is a dead 183.
  • When firing HESH, take your time when firing. If you dont have a good shot at a weakspot, maybe its not the best time to fire. However, if you need to fire at that moment, say you are being rushed, aim for the flattest part of armor you can find. Thats generally the best place to get the most out of your shot, but avoid spaced armor and tracks
  • The 183 is a second line tank. You should never (except for rare situations) push the attack in this TD

Suggested Equipment

• Large Caliber Tank Gun Rammer
  • Enhanced Gun Laying Drive
  • Improved Ventilation Class 3

The gun rammer, gun laying drive and vents will help you fire faster, aim faster, and generally improve all of your crew.

Anti FV215b(183) tips

• Wait untill it fires, you have a minimum of 26~30 seconds (a full minute or more if it has a damaged ammorack and/or a dead loader) to do as much damage as possible, or simply park behind it.

I forgot to commend your efforts for trying to put a positive spin on this tank. Sorry about the rant, but I can't help myself. I need to express my loathing for this worthless pile of !#%&!. 

17 Tier X tanks. T110E5, T57 Heavy, T110E3, T110E4, FV215b, FV215b 183, E100, Jg.Pz. E 100, WT auf E100, B-C 25t, AMX 50 B, Foch 155

OnAPaleStallion #12 Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:51 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 16539 battles

View Postgeewizz, on 24 April 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

I have this tank and 4 other Tier X tanks. This is the worst excuse ever for a tank. It can't deflect enemy rounds and it can't shoot straight. Only shoots twice a week and most rounds "Bounce off". It's so big, it can't hide either.

You keep saying that. I've had very good luck with this tank and I've seem some wicked scores posted by others. You're doing it wrong.The tank doesn't suck, you suck in it. Learn to play it. This review has some pretty good info and is a good place to start. Once you get the feel for the fragile beast, Poof! goes the medium.

To the last, I grapple with thee; From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last shell at thee.

geewizz #13 Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:03 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 23741 battles
  • [10000]

View PostOnAPaleStallion, on 24 April 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

You keep saying that. I've had very good luck with this tank and I've seem some wicked scores posted by others. You're doing it wrong.The tank doesn't suck, you suck in it. Learn to play it. This review has some pretty good info and is a good place to start. Once you get the feel for the fragile beast, Poof! goes the medium.

My hit ratio is usually better that 80% with a good tank. My hit ratio with this tank is 66%. I just don't have the patience for this tanks lack of performance. I must commend your patience however. You have somehow beaten the odds of making this a good tank for you.

I wish you had the E110E3, JgPz E-100 or the E-100. You would never again roll out in this tank.

OnAPaleStallion #14 Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:14 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 16539 battles

View Postgeewizz, on 24 April 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

My hit ratio is usually better that 80% with a good tank. My hit ratio with this tank is 66%. I just don't have the patience for this tanks lack of performance. I must commend your patience however. You have somehow beaten the odds of making this a good tank for you.

I wish you had the E110E3, JgPz E-100 or the E-100. You would never again roll out in this tank.

I have both the E3 and the J-100, I'll have the FV215b by the end of the weekend. They all play different and I play them all every night.. I was one of the first in the beta to have the 183 so I just have a lot of seat time in it. I looked at you stats on the 183, which is working BTW, and it looks like you're firing too much HESH. I only use HESH on a medium or the flat side of a tank. Something I know I can pen. Otherwise you're better off with APC.

To the last, I grapple with thee; From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last shell at thee.

geewizz #15 Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:03 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 23741 battles
  • [10000]

View PostOnAPaleStallion, on 24 April 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

I have both the E3 and the J-100, I'll have the FV215b by the end of the weekend. They all play different and I play them all every night.. I was one of the first in the beta to have the 183 so I just have a lot of seat time in it. I looked at you stats on the 183, which is working BTW, and it looks like you're firing too much HESH. I only use HESH on a medium or the flat side of a tank. Something I know I can pen. Otherwise you're better off with APC.

I'm working on acquiring the FV215b eventually. I have the Conqueror now, but not the final upgrade. As for the 183, I'm going to wait for better days. If too many people complain about this tank. Maybe WG will improve something.

Some of the tanks I had in beta were better tanks than those of today. At least, that's how it seems to me. I hope your new 183 is as you remember it.

Ignitable Duk #16 Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:47 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7706 battles

View PostOnAPaleStallion, on 25 April 2014 - 01:14 AM, said:

actually the side is the worst? at least if its american (side is all tracks) or british (spaced armor) only works for german tanks. (and the sides of their turrets)

and geewizz:

ive gotten 8,900 damage in a game before.. its fine. no buffs needed. its good that you have to get good at it, or everyone would use it all the time.

Bamanutt #17 Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:48 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 33154 battles
  • [HIT]

View Postgeewizz, on 24 April 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

did you ever figure this tank out? I've had no issue with consistant 10k damage matches. Knowing when & where to shoot are key elements to success. Your situational awareness is so key with this tank. I will attempt to describe what I mean

Malinovka assault. 

An e100 was detected & I had a small shot opportunity on him, with him facing towards me, the angle of his lower hull, the distance of the shot I decided not to fire, after 8-10 seconds of looking around the e100 driver turned to the right & started moving in a predictable fashion. Now with the the turret at a perfect 90 degree to me I zoomed in fully lead him slightly & boom!!!! 2200 hp gone!! Had I not waited I might have hit a 500 roll or a complete miss. But analyzing the situation changed the course of the battle, especially for that e100 driver(who was found at end of the game cowering in a corner having fired 0-shots)  that's what this tank does very well. 

Another situation was lakeville

I anticipate that a light or medium is going to go up the middle road in an attempt to get early spots on us. I position myself sidescraping & locked in on the usual location. Within a few seconds he fired at a friendly tank, getting himself detected I was a few meters off from where I thought he would be, but locked on a lower glacias shot & 1-shot the m48. As I fired I noticed tracers coming from the road. Two sets in fact, I said in game chat that I believe there's some more tanks on middle road, our medium driver moved up the road as I reloaded. He detected first an e-75 that I locked onto as he was perfectly sideways to me, but just before I fired someone said there's the waffle, I zoomed out & not 50m away from the heavy sits the opfors most devastating weapon & a much higher value target. I zoom in & boom 2150 hp gone & broke his gun. Other tanks quickly finished him, the e75 began engaging my medium on the road & I took him out with my next shot. After that I pushed through the town with the team, helping with an e100 & e3 before coming face to face with an is7, having taken no damage & my team being beat up, I took his shot & backed up fully zoomed & blasted him back to kremlin. Lol. 

Killing that medium early, ended his spotting of my team, then the waffle weakened the dpm output of the opfor. 

When,where, & what to shoot, the same can be said about any tank in the game but means everything re: the Deathstar. 

Good luck out there & nice job Duk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users