Whats the best(or just your favorite) SMG of WW2?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
110 replies to this topic

FRsLastStand #101 Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13314 battles
Thompson sub machine gun with a drum magazine so that would make it a M1928 version as I've read reports about the box magazine dropping out due to the heaviness of the 45 ACP rounds.But saying that I love the  Ppsh-41 as the Germans feared it especially during the Battle of Stalingrad,I read a book about it in one passage German troops talk about how the city has become alive with machine gunners because the Russians sent units in armed solely with Ppsh-41s.

fat vs thin #102 Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:10 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 18783 battles
This is quite a hard decision for me as I have many favourites... But if I was going to say one it will be the MP40. A pretty reliable weapon with decent accuracy and a fair amount of bullets in the magazine. In my opinion its better than the Thompson.

StormIllusion #103 Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:26 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 4823 battles

Even if isn't a proper SMG (It's more of a battle rifle of sorts), I'd personally prefer having the FG42.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FG_42

Pretty much the origins of the famous American M60 with this gun, and it was used by German paratroopers in selective fields of battle, the most well known example being the rescue of Benito Mussolini.

Edit:  Turns out it wasn't used in Crete, but rather created afterwards because of the numerous casualties inflicted on paratroopers who were trying to gather their support weapons that were scattered during their operation.

Edited by StormIllusion, 22 July 2014 - 12:29 AM.

"Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower."  -Steve Jobs

Nocturnal814 #104 Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:22 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16690 battles

View PostStormIllusion, on 22 July 2014 - 01:26 AM, said:

Even if isn't a proper SMG (It's more of a battle rifle of sorts), I'd personally prefer having the FG42.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FG_42

Pretty much the origins of the famous American M60 with this gun, and it was used by German paratroopers in selective fields of battle, the most well known example being the rescue of Benito Mussolini.

Edit:  Turns out it wasn't used in Crete, but rather created afterwards because of the numerous casualties inflicted on paratroopers who were trying to gather their support weapons that were scattered during their operation.

Actually the mg42 was closer to the origin of the m60... And given the choice, the stg44 is a far more effective weapon

something, something, something, dark side...

Spear0fJustice #105 Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:10 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6562 battles
  • [JADT]

Blyskawica.

With the polish craftmen behind it, it truly lived up to it's name "Lightning:" with its fast fire rate, and didn't often require maintanence.

If you don't want the Pz. IV GuP on XBox One, don't do the OP.

FolkAttorney67 #106 Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:30 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9520 battles
The Thompson Sub-Machine gun. Seems like the gun I would want to have if I fighting in close quarters because if I bumped into someone I was suppose to kill (and they were to do me too), I would want to blow them to shreds in a heartbeat.

Need M103 Tips and Tricks? Go to "Folk's M103/ T110E5 Thread" in the American  Section.

Credits to Roni for Sig!

ErwinJA #107 Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 8590 battles

A rundown of the populars:

The Thompson was an amazing weapon. Accurate, one of the most reliable of the war, and powerful, it was popular among those who used it for good reason, but had three major drawbacks: it was very heavy (weighed more empty than most SMGs did with a full magazine), it was expensive, and its .45 ACP round underperformed in heavy vegetation (jungle) environments and against even light body armor. Early variants were also very hard to control with full auto fire due to an excessive rate of fire and the greater energy of the .45 ACP compared to other SMG rounds, though this was corrected in later versions. It also, like many, was not designed for firing prone, which proved something of a liability in several theaters, particularly in the Pacific.

The M3 "Grease Gun" addressed the first of these issues, with a smaller and lighter weapon that was still very accurate, but was much easier to control. However, its magazine feed system was closer to that of the MP 40, and it proved prone to jamming as a result - something the Thompson rarely had to deal with. It also had a low rate of fire (part of why it was easier to control than the Thompson). The receiver was also prone to damage if dropped without a magazine loaded, and the weapon had minimal safety measure, leading to a high accidental discharge rate. In the end, the Thompson remained a better and more popular weapon.

The MP 38/40 was also an excellent weapon. However, it's marred by the fact that it was not designed as an infantry weapon. While eventually used in that capacity, it was really intended as a defensive weapon for vehicle crews and second-line troops. Like that Thompson, this left a design that was ill-suited to firing prone. And while generally reliable, it was still prone to jamming, especially in the conditions on the Eastern front - I shudder to think of how it would fare in jungle fighting.

The Beretta Model 38 was similar to the MP 40 in design and use, but was near Thompson level in its reliability and ruggedness, while maintaining a weight and size more in tune with the MP 40. It was highly sought after and had few complaints other than, like most non-British weapons, was not well suited for firing prone. The biggest weakness of the weapon was actually limited availability, as it was not until 1943 that it appeared in significant numbers. Those were enough to outfit some elite units, however, and the weapon was one of the most sought-after of the European theater.

The PPSh-41 was a marvel of Soviet tech-stealing engineering. Using a Finnish magazine and feed combined with the MP40's mechanism, the gun was simple to manufacture, rugged, and very reliable. It was also designed for modern infantry use, and was better suited than almost all non-Commonwealth weapons to firing prone. However, the early variants had a thin-walled drum magazine that was very easy to deform, which would cause jamming, or even the need to replace the entire magazine. The deficiency was eventually corrected in 1944, though the 73-round drum was also (obviously) a bit time-consuming to load. A more popular box magazine was quicker to load and more reliable, but less suited for firing prone.

The Sten was designed solely because the US wasn't producing enough Thompsons (says something, eh?), and had the same feed mechanism as the MP40 to use captured ammunition, the simplicity of the PPSh-41, and was good for firing prone. However, that meant it had most of of the MP40's drawbacks, particularly that jamming problem - in fact, the Sten was even worse. In addition, it was a rushed design and was very likely to accidentally discharge if dropped or hit. This fell squarely in the "only use it if you don't have anything better" category. The Austen corrected many, but not all, of the reliability problems with the basic Sten, and was still not popular due to better weapons being available.

One of those was the Owen. Not only was it very simple, but it went through a rigorous reliability test that no comparable gun could pass, and thus gets the award of most reliable submachine gun. You could literally bury the thing in a swamp, dig it out a month later, rinse it, and fire away. Even the Thompson wasn't that reliable. The top-mounted magazine also meant it was easy to fire prone, though it also occasionally made a prone soldier easier to spot.

All told, if I had to pick one to go into combat with, it would most certainly be the Owen. The Beretta would be a close second though.

I x SiNz x I #108 Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

Major

• WoTC Online Contributor
  • 14158 battles
  • [IMTLZ]

View PostUranprojekt, on 29 May 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

Sten gun Mk II. I had to pick British because I'm biased.

Same for me. My dad made me a wooden model of one when I was little, gotta appreciate the Sten.

Immortals - EU | WN8 Rating: 3500+ | WN7 Rating: 2200+

YouTube | Discord | Twitch | Facebook | Twitter | Patreon

AJSAWardie1993 #109 Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4544 battles

A toss-up between the Lanchester, Sten, Tommy Gun, MP40, Beretta M38, PPsh, Suomi KP-31 and the Type 100, I'm going to go with the Lanchester used by the Royal Navy and the RAF Regiment, recoil is effectively non-existant, and is easy to control despite being heavy, a beautiful SMG!

Edited by TykeLad101, 23 July 2014 - 01:16 PM.

Highest tier: IX

Current grinds: AMX ELC, ARL 44, AT-15, Conqueror, Indien-Panzer, KV-1, Rheinmetall-Borsig Waffentrager, S35 CA, Tiger II

Taffwob #110 Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 7351 battles

A lot of good stuff on this topic. It would be a toss up between a few front runners, most of the ones mentioned have good & bad traits. Some are heavy, some a bit unreliable but all were fit for purpose. I'd have to go with the Lanchester as my personal choice, on the heavy side with the single column magazine which can misfeed (filling a 50rounder must have been fun) possible to get an ND if dropped on its butt. Nothing that most other Smudgers don't do. But the Lanchester has for me got a bit of class to it & with a P07 bayonet on the end it's a real brute/beaut. if I fancied something more compact would I be allowed to have a Patchett, forerunner of the Sterling. Not a general issue weapon but still of its time.

Other contenders were the UDM 42, Beretta M38, Owen or the Czech ZK383.

MoistNugget9130 #111 Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6872 battles
Ppsh-41, because 900rpm of 7.62x25mm easily beats any 9mm, and the Thompson is heavy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users