7 replies to this topic

v Skoll v #1 Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:39 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 9977 battles
  • [GRU]

SU-122-44 Review

Overview:

The SU-122-44 is a premium Soviet Tier VII Tank Destroyer.  It is much like the German and American TD’s of the same tier, in that it shares an equivalent speed, a high Alpha gun, and has limited armor in the way of sloping.

However, it differs from it’s counterparts in that it needs to play up closer to reduce the poor aim time and accuracy down to a more manageable level, and has a number of traits that helps it in that regard.

All in all, it is one of the best Tier VII vehicles.

Cost:  6,750 Gold

Silver Making Potential: 

With Premium, assume 70 to 80 (roughly) times your Base Exp

Without Premium, assume 50 to 60 (roughly) times your Base Exp

Examples of Silver Production:

Spoiler

Strengths:

• Outside of Howitzers (Derp) and Artillery, it has the highest alpha gun in it’s tier; capable of hitting for 87 more points of damage than the Jagdpanther, T25 AT, T29, and other vehicles with similar guns
  • Relatively strong frontal armor; due to the fairly extreme angle on the sloped armor, it ends up with an Effective Armor of 175mm.  Allows for a lot more bounces than it’s TD contemporaries (apart from the AT7) especially at distance
  • Very fast Rate of Fire (RoF); coupled with it’s high Alpha, this allows the SU-122-44 one of the highest Damage per Minute (DpM) rates in the game
  • Sports an impressive vehicle traverse speed of 42 d/s (degrees a second); this is beyond most vehicles in the game save for very agile Light’s and a few Mediums, and allows the SU to greatly negate attempts at being flanked by any vehicle
  • Good speed for a TD; equivalent to that of the Jagdpanther
  • Great Radio Range of 700m; helps teammates see your targets and you theirs
  • Of the available Tier VII TD’s, it has the highest Stationary Camo Rating at 20%

Weaknesses:

• Poor Aim Time; though it is manageable like the Tiger’s 8,8 L/70 and not too bad the closer in you are
  • Poor Accuracy; can easily miss the cupola of an AT series vehicle at ranges under 300m.  Requires fighting closer in, and an acceptance that you can't laser beam weak spots like you can in a Jagdpanther or other accurate vehicles
  • Poor penetration; 175mm of penetration is fine for Tier VII, and manageable even in Tier VIII, but at Tier IX you will have trouble frontally even with APCR, but especially without
  • Poor gun depression and turret side arc; while the depression is not quite as bad as the Pz.Kpfw.V/IV it still leaves a lot to be desired and forces you to move around a lot.  Likewise, the gun arc is bad and due to the limited range of traverse on the gun, will often cause the SU driver to keep moving the vehicle to get a shot
  • Unimpressive View Range at 330m
  • No Preferential MM (Match Making) which is an issue due to the lack of penetration

Tips/Info:

-Due to the slope of your frontal armor and the shortness of the tank, vehicles which are more elevated than you, be it from physical vehicle height or greater elevation, will partially (or completely) negate the Effective Armor. 

As such, it is advised when fighting in close to not get within roughly 50m of another tank that is taller than you.  If they are close enough and tall enough, your 175mm becomes greatly reduced, to the point that even a Churchill VII can pen your front armor.

-Your armor will likely not stop guns with 200mm+ of pen even at angle

-With enough distance and angling, Black Princes, other SU-122-44’s, and vehicles with around 175mm of pen, will struggle to pen you frontally when using AP

-Wiggle the vehicle from side to side when taking incoming fire.  Thanks to the vehicle traverse and the slope of your armor, you can bounce a lot of shots

-Carry a good supply of APCR for the Tier VIII and IX battles.  When in Tier IX battles; flank!  You should do this for all tanks when facing +2 vehicles, but it’s especially true in vehicles that have subpar penetration even in their own tier

-When Top Tier, dominate!  Your 390 alpha will destroy Tier V vehicles in often a single shot, and coupled with your armor, very few vehicles in Tier VI will last long against you.  Tier VII is virtually yours as well, with only the Tiger, T29, SU-152, and AT 7 being capable of weathering your shots long enough to snuff you out first.  Use your speed to get around these vehicles.

jUsTiN CaT #2 Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:43 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 33449 battles
  • [TWAF]
Thanks for the review. What equipment do you use on this tank?

abhiop741 #3 Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 28926 battles
  • [DICO]

Very good review, thanks !

I like my SU-122-44 : a great TD to play with !

The more useful equipments are for me gun rammer, enhanced gun laying drive (to reduce aim time). Next to that you can mount improved ventilation for the bonus, coated optics or binocs to increase the spotting range or a camo net if you like ambush enemies !

Edited by abhiop741, 06 June 2014 - 10:55 AM.

Once an active contributor on the French forum of WoT.

NimoysHeadinJar #4 Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:09 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9475 battles
Good review. This tank holds choke points very well. And at tier, none shall pass.

Buckle up. I'm going to try something. I saw it on a cartoon once... but I'm almost positive it can be done.

imp1864 #5 Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 5115 battles
Excellent review. In mine I kill them on sight, knowing the damage they can do. But in the hands of some inexperienced they are a death trap.

MegaB0B0 #6 Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:26 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9991 battles

Excellent review, 

i love over this little tank, monster damage if hit, very fast, 

That one bounced... WTF..not at 100m and not twice in a roll and not on the side of a Walfe-100 with a BL-10!!!

Matthew J35U5 #7 Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]
I like it, if you don't mind I'll link this thread in my list of links.

KeystoneCops, on 14 June 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

v Skoll v #8 Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 9977 battles
  • [GRU]

View PostjUsTiN CaT, on 06 June 2014 - 03:43 AM, said:

Thanks for the review. What equipment do you use on this tank?

I run with Camo Net, Binoculars, & Gun Laying Drive

View PostMatthew J35U5, on 08 June 2014 - 08:45 PM, said:

I like it, if you don't mind I'll link this thread in my list of links.

No problem

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users