Folk's M103/ T110E5 Guides

M103 Tips T110E5 American Heavies

• Please log in to reply
418 replies to this topic

FolkAttorney67 #1 Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9517 battles

Having trouble with your new M103? Don't know how to stop those pesky tanks from popping your sides? Don't know how to do "Wiggle-tha-Turret" dance? Well you're in the right place. 

I'm FolkAttorney67 but you can call me Folk. I have 66% W/L rate, 4.30 K/D, 2.30 C/R (Damage), and I have over 1000 battles in the M103. The M103 is by far my favorite and most played tank in the game. From time to time (like once or twice every week) I'll post up tips, thoughts, and ideas all concerning the M103 American tank. Also and most importantly if you have any questions about how to use the M103 then please ask away and I'll personally answer, or if you want to share a tip for fellow M103 tankers then feel free to do so.

Update.

This is also a thread for T110E5 drivers as I will from time to time post tips/strategies concerning this tank. Post away if you have questions concerning the T110E5 and I'll answer as soon as possible.

Tips for reading the thread.

It's a big thread and I wish I had the time to make a table of contents but I don't. What I would do is start from the end of the thread and work your way back to the beginning. I usually post up the same or similar tips as I believe in perfecting your basic knowledge in order to be the best tanker possible.

You don't have to read it all in one go but come by every now and then, pick up a tip or two, and try practicing those when you play that particular tank. Rinse and repeat.

I usually post up the same or similar tips as I believe in perfecting your basic knowledge in order to be the best tanker possible.

Edited by FolkAttorney67, 27 July 2015 - 11:36 PM.

Need M103 Tips and Tricks? Go to "Folk's M103/ T110E5 Thread" in the American  Section.

Credits to Roni for Sig!

Rarefication #2 Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 18093 battles
  • [RATT]

View PostFolkAttorney67, on 20 June 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

Having trouble with your new M103? Don't know how to stop those pesky tanks from popping your sides? Don't know how to do "Wiggle-tha-Turret" dance? Well you're in the right place.

I'm FolkAttorney67 but you can call me Folk. I have 64% W/L rate, 4.50 K/D, 2.38 C/R (Damage), and I have over 700 battles in the M103. The M103 is by far my favorite and most played tank in the game. From time to time (like once or twice every week) I'll post up tips, thoughts, and ideas all concerning the M103 American tank. Also and most importantly if you have any questions about how to use the M103 then please ask away and I'll personally answer, or if you want to share a tip for fellow M103 tankers then feel free to do so.

I'll grab your business card in case future consultation is required. ;) Seriously though, 4.5K/D, 2.38 C/R abd 64% WL rate in 700 battles is amazing dude. It would take a team of FolkAttorney67s, working around the clock, to ever get my stats close to those. lol

FolkAttorney67 #3 Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9517 battles
Watch your cheeks tankers. Next to the M103's cannon on the left and right sides of the gun mantlet are weakpoints that can be easily penetrated. A good way to mitigate this is by wiggling your turret side to side by a few degrees as so to use the M103's sloped sides to bounce shots, however be warned that HE rounds may still do damage to your cheeks and the whole of your turret depending on RNG.

Need M103 Tips and Tricks? Go to "Folk's M103/ T110E5 Thread" in the American  Section.

Credits to Roni for Sig!

FolkAttorney67 #4 Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9517 battles

View PostX L1V3 0R D13 X, on 20 June 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

I'll grab your business card in case future consultation is required. ;) Seriously though, 4.5K/D, 2.38 C/R abd 64% WL rate in 700 battles is amazing dude. It would take a team of FolkAttorney67s, working around the clock, to ever get my stats close to those. lol

Thanks man but I still have a ways to go. If you need work on padding your stats then by all means ask any question and I'll help you out. Plus I recently found a good site that talks about how to improve your stats, it's called RocketBrainSurgeon.com. It has some pretty interesting articles but some of the stuff is questionable.

Credits to Roni for Sig!

Chr15py #5 Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 13821 battles

Any hits or tips on this tank are much appreciated!!!! My love for American tanks has fallen since the T29. The M103 just seems to be such a slog! Is the T110E5 really worth the pain?

Cheers

Chris

(Xbox Chr15py)

"Per Ardua ad Astra - Through adversity to the stars"

FolkAttorney67 #6 Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9517 battles

View PostChr15py, on 20 June 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

Any hits or tips on this tank are much appreciated!!!! My love for American tanks has fallen since the T29. The M103 just seems to be such a slog! Is the T110E5 really worth the pain?

Cheers

Chris

(Xbox Chr15py)

Gotcha. The M103 is a hard tank to maneuver but you have to remember these weakpoints and adjust your play style accordingly. I'll bullet them down.

1. Sides of the Turret: The side armor for the turret is garbage and basically any tank can penetrate it if the sides are perpendicular to them. Avoid this by strategically placing yourself in positions where the enemy tanks are directly in front of your cannon and move away if multiple enemy tanks are in range of your sides.
  2. Main body side armor: The side armor of the hull is pretty weak so either get behind cover that covers your main body or sidescrape next to hard cover in order to bounce shots.
  3. Hatch: The hatch is the achilles heel to any M103 as any skilled shooter can shoot it to stop you from going hull-down. Mitigate this weakness by both wiggling your turret and moving back and forward with your tank.
  4. Cheeks of the turret: The right and left sides of the M103's gun mantlet can be penetrated so avoid this by wiggling your turret side to side in an unpredictable manner.

Adjust your style to these weakpoints and you'll see a positive difference in your results. The M103 wasn't designed like the E75 to take large amounts of damage but was instead designed to give out as much damage possible from a 2nd line support role. Think of it being a rifleman. Rifleman find a suitable spot, preferably a spot that can provide flank protection, and engage targets from a distance. They aim to kill the most damaged or the most dangerous target and after a shot or two, move to find another position and repeat the process over and over until the targets are all gone. Good luck and please ask if you have any more questions. 

Credits to Roni for Sig!

DamnGunner #7 Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:41 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21002 battles

Question Folk, will you finish grinding mine out for me? I am on my way to the E5.lol

I know you love this heavy. I do as well. Alas, this is one of the tanks I seem to struggle with stat wise. I do have fun with it, but am I having to much fun? My win rate in this thing is a miserable 44%.:sad:

My hit ratio is good with it(73%). But I die 3/4 of my battles is what I learned after looking at the stats.

I think I do need to slow things down a bit. I am gonna work on this one a little, and try to fix these numbers!

R0B0T99 #8 Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:19 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20495 battles
  • [BNKR]

Hi Folk, thanks for the great info. What is your equip/consumable loadout for the 103? Also, what do you consider are the mandatory skills/perks?

I have mine with rammer, vent, and vert stab. Carry 10 HEAT, rest are AP. I get ammo racked a lot so will be training or swapping to safe stowage. Any other suggestions?

KINGSLY1968 #9 Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:22 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 8745 battles
i just upgraded to the last package which doesnt seem much better to me on paper ,a little extra view range and gun accuracy , is there a larger difference than that ?  ive only played about 3 or 4 games with the new package and kept getting malinovka with no support from the hills so i have been overwhelme trying to stop the cap with no chance to  enjoy the new upgrade.Thankyou by the way for any input
Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

FolkAttorney67 #10 Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9517 battles

View PostRogueRobot99, on 21 June 2014 - 05:19 AM, said:

Hi Folk, thanks for the great info. What is your equip/consumable loadout for the 103? Also, what do you consider are the mandatory skills/perks?

I have mine with rammer, vent, and vert stab. Carry 10 HEAT, rest are AP. I get ammo racked a lot so will be training or swapping to safe stowage. Any other suggestions?

Equipment: Gun Rammer, Stabilizer, and vents (I may change the Rammer to GLD in the near future).

Consumables: AP 26, HEAT 4, HE 3 and then, SM repair, SM aid, Manual Fire Extinguisher

Skills: B.I.A, Snapshot, Safe Stowage, Clutch Braking,Jack of All Trades, Repairs, and Armorer (I have more but these are the ones I consider the most important for this tank based on it's strengths and weaknesses). 

The best suggestion for any aspiring M103 driver is to remind one self that "Life is movement". If you're getting caught in situations where you are being overwhelmed or your sides are always being flanked by enemies, then you need to move out of harms way. The best way to preserve your tank is to support your teammates by providing constant fire support. To provide that fire support you have to keep enemy tanks in range but from positions that have either one of two things, flank protection (like building, hill, or rock cover) and a escape route in case you have to fall back. Keep moving but move strategically with the goal of doing the most consistent damage possible to the enemy team or in other words every time you fire and reload, you should already have chosen your next target if the previous target you fired at is either destroyed or has escaped your range of fire. If you have any questions then please ask, especially if it's a specific issue you are having with your M103.

View PostDamnGunner, on 21 June 2014 - 12:41 AM, said:

Question Folk, will you finish grinding mine out for me? I am on my way to the E5.lol

I know you love this heavy. I do as well. Alas, this is one of the tanks I seem to struggle with stat wise. I do have fun with it, but am I having to much fun? My win rate in this thing is a miserable 44%.:sad:

My hit ratio is good with it(73%). But I die 3/4 of my battles is what I learned after looking at the stats.

I think I do need to slow things down a bit. I am gonna work on this one a little, and try to fix these numbers!

"But I die 3/4 of my battles..." Yeah you got to find a way to preserve your tank in these battles. You should fall back behind fellow teammates and provide cover fire for them so that not only are you keeping yourself alive but are keeping you're teammates alive too. The longer they live, the harder it is for you to get destroyed. Feel free to ask anymore questions and by all means keep working on this tank. You'll find that the E5 will have a very similar play style to the the M103 so the better you are in this tank, the better you will be in the E5.

Credits to Roni for Sig!

FolkAttorney67 #11 Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9517 battles

Edited by FolkAttorney67, 21 June 2014 - 04:40 PM.

Credits to Roni for Sig!

Blemished Dread #12 Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13962 battles
  • [RON]
i am 76,000 way from my E5 but i like my m103 its a great tank

FolkAttorney67 #13 Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:10 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9517 battles

View PostxZEUS74x, on 23 June 2014 - 11:44 PM, said:

i am 76,000 way from my E5 but i like my m103 its a great tank

I agree and to be honest, I enjoyed the M103 way more than the E5. So much so that I sold the E5 in order to get both a Tiger II and IS-3.

Credits to Roni for Sig!

kitchikai #14 Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:21 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10005 battles
Awesome thread bro, looks like a ton of excellent information for those M103 owners, as I myself have ran with you for at least 300 or so of those battles in my E-75, and more with other tanks, I can say you one of the best M103 players out there and by far the best I know, so listen to this man guys, he knows his shiz when it comes to the M103 for sure.  Good luck and good tanking!

German Engineering = Wunderbar !

FolkAttorney67 #15 Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:10 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9517 battles

View Postkitchikai, on 27 June 2014 - 12:21 AM, said:

Awesome thread bro, looks like a ton of excellent information for those M103 owners, as I myself have ran with you for at least 300 or so of those battles in my E-75, and more with other tanks, I can say you one of the best M103 players out there and by far the best I know, so listen to this man guys, he knows his shiz when it comes to the M103 for sure. Good luck and good tanking!

Thanks brother and I greatly appreciate the compliments. 

Credits to Roni for Sig!

kitchikai #16 Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:27 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10005 battles

View PostFolkAttorney67, on 26 June 2014 - 08:10 PM, said:

Thanks brother and I greatly appreciate the compliments. 

No worries bro, credit due to credit earned :)

German Engineering = Wunderbar !

BeardedLdy #17 Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:16 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 5202 battles

View PostFolkAttorney67, on 24 June 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

I agree and to be honest, I enjoyed the M103 way more than the E5. So much so that I sold the E5 in order to get both a Tiger II and IS-3.

I'm curious why you sold the E5?  What were the pros and cons in your experience?

FolkAttorney67 #18 Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:20 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9517 battles

View PostBeardedLdy, on 30 June 2014 - 06:16 AM, said:

I'm curious why you sold the E5?  What were the pros and cons in your experience?

Pros:

• Thicker lower armor (Glacis armor)
  • Shorter silhouette so that I could sneak around and pop people around hills
  • Smaller turret that wasn't as big and thin armored as the M103's
  • Slightly better handling
  • Slightly higher top speed (M103=34 km/h, E5=37 km/h)
  • Better aiming than the M103

Cons:

• It's gun elevation is the same as the M103 and it's lower in height, thus harder to shoot over hills and/or go hull down without exposing lower glacis
  • Doesn't command as much fear as the M103 (Totally a subjective view)
  • Repair costs much higher than the M103
  • It shares the exact same gun as the M103
  • The hatch is more easy to shoot than the M103's hatch

End Summary: 

The T110E5 was a great tank while I had it and proved to be very useful in helping my fellow teammates, however the fact that it was lower in height and had essentially the same playstyle as the M103 made it unfun for me to play. The height/gun elevation arc made it difficult to shoot over small hills without exposing my lower glacis to enemies. The fear factor is minor but it was noticeable as lesser skilled enemies were more active in trying to surround me or stand their ground trading shots. The E5 to me was basically a different version of what the M103 could've been but not necessarily a better tank than the M103. In the M103 I'm more aggressive and use cover where ever I'm at in order to shoot the enemy, unless there 400-500 meters away because in that case I just shoot them until they either notice me, are destroyed, or run to cover. In the E5 I noticed that I wasn't as proactive, more worried about where to go hulldown, and in general not having any fun in it. 

Thanks for asking Bearded and if you have anymore questions then feel free to ask away.  

Credits to Roni for Sig!

KeystoneCops #19 Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:40 AM

Major

• Players
  • 17819 battles
  • [GIRLS]
We should ptoon our 103s. Like soon!

FolkAttorney67 #20 Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:00 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9517 battles

Tip Time!

Subject Tank: T110E3

Goal: Weakness Exploitation

Alright, the tier 10 American tank destroyer (non-turreted) is a very dangerous tank. It's frontal armor is nearly impenetrable, hits for 850 dmg with great penetration, and moves at decent enough speed to lead a push. For us M103 drivers being in front of this tank is a 9 out 10 death sentence. We have all faced them and know what they are capable of, thus we either run away, shoot premium rounds at the big top turret, or track it so that hopefully our allies will somehow destroy it. These are good options,even falling back as long as you are not leaving several teammates behind, unless they are utterly doomed to fail and you can clearly see that without a doubt. The best and most used way to defeat them is by flanking these tanks and shooting them in the sides/rear, however you are not always going to have that opportunity and will have to find a new way.

Here are some bullet points below to show what you can do:

• Aim for the small hatch on the right side of the tank. It's super small but can be easily penetrated using AP rounds instead of HEAT rounds.
  • Hit the lower glacis, like dead center in the front underbelly. Shoot otherwise around that spot and it will bounce. HEAT rounds should penetrate easily but I wouldn't risk bouncing a premium round unless I'm running a premium account to cover the silver loss.
  • Track it but don't overdo it. If you waste more than half of your ammo (you have 33 rounds in total) on the tracks but no one has killed it, then run away and shoot at another enemy tank. Pick your battles ladies and gentleman.
  • Flank it. *If an opportunity arises where you can flank this tank and do serious damage and maybe destroy it than do it, even if doing so may cost you major health points or your entire tank.

These are my tips and I hope this helps in your path to becoming a more knowledgeable M103 driver. Ask if you have any questions and I'll gladly answer or comment if you want to discuss these tips and maybe add on to them.

*What's more valuable to a team, any team? A fully or partially damaged M103 or a fully or partially damaged T110E3? Here's the answer.

M103<T110E3

Why, because the M103 has far less armor and alpha damage compared to the T110E3.

Credits to Roni for Sig!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users