How to set up Your German TD (cliff notes)

Guide Tank Destroyers German Equipment Cosumables Crew

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

MrWuvems #1 Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

Equipment:

Gun Rammer - Required

Binoculars - Required

Camouflage Net - Suggested for all tanks below tier 7. Starting with the JgPanther, you're big enough to where the extra camo doesn't help as much. It's still acceptable, some people prefer it at high tier. The Borsig and WT Pz4 it goes back to being 100% required. Don't put one on a WT E-100 though. It won't help

Improved Ventilation - For when you don't want to use a camo net

Improved Gun Laying Drive - for use when you hate the long aim time of certain guns. Replacement for camo/vents, only really suggested if you're using the JgPanther with the 88mm L/71. Also comes into play for the WT E-100 since it can't mount a rammer

Vertical Stabilizer - Do to shenanigans and being giant, the WT E-100 can't use vents or a rammer and doesn't want a camo net. Put one of these on.

Consumables:

!SWITCH ALL PREMIUM CONSUMABLE PRICES TO SILVER BY HITTING THE Y BUTTON!

Carry enough premium ammunition, at the least, to knock out your own tank.

If you are using the 105mm on the Hetzer or StuG III, do not use ANY AP rounds, replace with HE

In all other cases, the game generally sets up by default you having too many HE rounds for how useful they are. You really only need 4-5

Always carry a fire extinguisher, automatic ones are generally worth it at high tier.

Med packs and Repair kits are mandatory for all tanks.

Chocolate is not recommended due to your need of a fire extinguisher'

Crew Skills

If you have a decent supply of gold, always train a crew skill and then retrain into the perk you want. That way you get the skill's effect while leveling it (perks have no effect until 100%)

Perks - Sixth Sense is a requirement. Take as one of your first three.

Brothers-in-arms is really good. Suggested to take it early.

Preventative Maintenance if you don't want Firefighting. You need one anti-fire crew skill!

Silent Driving. Oh boy is this one hilarious. Lets stealth be more viable even going into high tiers

Muffled Shot. Ditto

Green Thumb. You're going to want to stick with low-profile tanks to use this perk. This means Jg4, StuG, Borsig, WT Pz4, and maybe the Nashorn.

Track Mechanic. More of a thing for less stealthy heavier TDs.

Skills - Camouflage if you use a camo net. Never really a bad option, but not a high priority if you don't use a net. If you do, one of your first three

Repairs. Really, really, really good. Not as high a priority on TDs as front line tanks, but good.

Firefighting. If you don't take Prev. Maint.

Clutch braking. Good perk for TDs, not a high priority early on.

Off-Road Driving. Good for higher-tier, heavier tanks. Put it in the "Eventually" pile

Situational Awareness/Recon. Especially useful for winning high tier vision wars

Snap Shot. Something to consider on tanks that have full turrets.

Pain Tolerance. Starting around tier 7 this starts being good for heavy TDs. Also the WT E-100 because that thing is a magnet for your turret crew biting it.

BossHogg5576 #2 Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 5299 battles
I like it good work if anything it maybe to general. Maybe divide up tiers( make a German low tier and a German high tier one) and expand on the crew skills and perks. Other than that very readable and understandable 

http://theveterans.boards.net

DertyChewbacca #3 Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:07 PM

Major

• Players
  • 8897 battles
Pretty good so far.

NegativWaves #4 Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:25 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 12501 battles
Well done. All good, sensible advice. Keep it coming.

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.

RiceDrizzle88 #5 Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:49 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 3611 battles
I put Spall Liner on my Jageroo. I think it's a good idea because arty loves to play tag with me.

pete49993 #6 Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:44 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 34234 battles
Nice work!

FMG SARGE #7 Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:29 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 12274 battles

I have most of the German TDs in my garage so just for the sake of discussion here's how I have mine set up (I no longer have the Jagdpanther II but included it for the sake of thoroughness):

Equipment:

Hetzer (75mm), Stug III (75mm L71), Jagdpanzer IV (88mm L56), Jagdpanther (88mm L71) - Gun rammer, binoculars, camo netting

Jagdpanther II and JagdTiger (both 128mm) - gun rammer, binoculars, vents

Consumables:

Never bothered. Not even fire extinguishers. Mine just don't catch fire that often. But I do reduce the amount of HE I carry to only 5 rounds so I can increase the amount of AP in my loadouts. Especially important for guns with a high rate of fire, like the 75mm. I've actually run out of ammo for my Stug and Hetzer on a few occasions.

Skills/Perks:

The core skills/perks I use for most TD's are camo, repairs, brother-in-arms, situational awareness, and recon. I'll add or subtract from that based on the vehicle's strength or weaknesses:

Hetzer - add off-road driving for a little more pep since even its top engine is a little sluggish

Stug III and Jagdpanzer IV - no need for any of the driving skills, these are the greyhounds of the German TD line

Jagdpanther - add off-road driving and clutch braking and it becomes reasonably nimble

Jagdpanther II - no need for camo skill on this tall monster. Also doesn't need any of the driving skills. Really fast for its size.

JagdTiger - also did not bother with camo skill, but definitely add off-road driving and clutch braking.

Just my opinion. These work well for me.

CrackSabbath #8 Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 2371 battles
Great stuff.  Thx!

jUsTiN CaT #9 Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 34056 battles
  • [TWAF]
I foresee these setup can be used for the upcoming 2nd German TD line as well. However, is there anything that should be specifically used / equipped?

DertyChewbacca #10 Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:48 PM

Major

• Players
  • 8897 battles
Based on your recommendations should I take camo off my JagdPanther and JagdTiger 88, and apply ventilation in it's place? My JagdPanther is equipped with the 8,8cm L71. How much does the GLD really help the JPanther with your aiming time?

TGS Killinitems #11 Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:01 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 7799 battles

View PostjUsTiN CaT, on 08 July 2014 - 04:08 AM, said:

I foresee these setup can be used for the upcoming 2nd German TD line as well. However, is there anything that should be specifically used / equipped?

will you will have light armor and have a magazine 

Council men of TGS

sly couger #12 Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:07 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30548 battles
  • [-OFF-]

cool

RE ZippingDonal #13 Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:12 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 12573 battles
  • [DRACO]
On my jageroo, I run a GLD,Gun rammer and toolbox because no one wants to waste the repair kit on tracks

DertyChewbacca #14 Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:39 AM

Major

• Players
  • 8897 battles
Any recommendations on my above post? Is the JPanther and JTiger too big for camo net? 

Sir Cobalt78 #15 Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:33 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22493 battles
  • [OFF]

View Posthofbrauwatts, on 14 July 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

Any recommendations on my above post? Is the JPanther and JTiger too big for camo net? 

The JagdPanther too big?  Quick answer- No

The Jagdpanther II too big?  Quick answer- Yes!  But it's not a waste. I can tell you from experience that a camo skill and camo net does make a difference!  On Prokhorovka, El Halluf and Campakva I see the most return here.  I don't use Binos on the JagdPanther II because of the horrible gun arc.  I'm always having to move the tank to fire at moving targets.  Then I have to wait 2secs for the Binos to start working again.  Waste of time when my team lights most of the enemy up for me anyways. So I use camo in place of optics of any sort.  Now so you know my crew is trained in Recon and Situational Awareness, so I recommend this if you don't use Optics/Binos for all TDs.  It's also good if you do use optics.

The JagdTiger too big?  Probably. I'm not sure.  I don't own one yet but I've seen them mostly in the 1st to 2nd waves using their great armor and powerful guns to lay waste to the Reds.

Don't Track me Bro!

DertyChewbacca #16 Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

Major

• Players
  • 8897 battles
That helps. Thank you for your feedback.

MrWuvems #17 Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:21 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles
Updated for new lines and the waffletaker being a giant load of derp when it comes to equipment

Mr Crowley ll #18 Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:11 AM

Major

• Players
  • 23951 battles
  • [CRPT]
I've noticed the Stug moves forward well, traverses well, but really has a slow slow reverse.

Will offroad or high octance boost the reverse speed?

VNinjaShmugV #19 Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:29 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14743 battles

Good suggestions all... it's definitely worth adding Situational Awareness and Recon to mandatory skills, especially if you use Binos. Often you'll be racing to a new position, when your binos aren't operational, and the extra view range of both these perks will help alert you to an opposing tank, before you stop. After you stop is usually too late!

I was always a fan of 6th sense, but on my stealthy TDs I tend to go for camo, Situational Awareness and Recon first after BiA (and of course always train repairs when working to a skill/perk).

Edited by VNinjaShmugV, 05 December 2014 - 01:29 PM.

MrWuvems #20 Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:57 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

View PostVNinjaShmugV, on 05 December 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

Good suggestions all... it's definitely worth adding Situational Awareness and Recon to mandatory skills, especially if you use Binos. Often you'll be racing to a new position, when your binos aren't operational, and the extra view range of both these perks will help alert you to an opposing tank, before you stop. After you stop is usually too late!

I was always a fan of 6th sense, but on my stealthy TDs I tend to go for camo, Situational Awareness and Recon first after BiA (and of course always train repairs when working to a skill/perk).

Sit Awareness and Recon are 1. not impacted by BiA because they're not generalist skills, 2. you're delaying either repairs, clutch braking, or lightbulb. all of these have priority over vision skills because  4.at all tiers it pretty much only helps spot scout tanks at long range.

Not bad skills to have, but, like on a Hellcat crew, they can wait.

Also tagged with Guide, Tank Destroyers, German, Equipment, Cosumables, Crew

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users