How to set up Your German Medium (cliff notes)

guide german medium crew equipment consumables

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

MrWuvems #1 Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

Equipment:

First of all, there's no 100% right answer. There are three main popular builds, and a couple of variations. What you choose goes to playstyle.

Gun Rammer - mandatory. Actually, there is a right answer. always use a rammer

Improved Ventilation - one of your best options

Vertical Stabilizer - perfect for shooting while moving and long aim times

Coated Optics - If you're in a medium, your job includes spotting. You'll be moving a lot because that's how you stay alive

The most popular builds- aggressive (rammer/stabilizer/vents), scout (rammer/stabilizer/optics), sniper (rammer/vents/optics)

Other options

Binocs - German tanks are generally long-range, making binocs acceptable, if not the best case, replace Coated Optics

Improved GLD - when you can't use a stabilizer

Spall Liner - Do you like ramming people? Fun but generally not as effective, replace vents. Only use tier 7 and up on the Panther line

Consumables:

!SWITCH ALL PREMIUM CONSUMABLE PRICES TO SILVER BY HITTING THE Y BUTTON!

Carry enough premium ammunition, at the least, to knock out your own tank.

If you are using the 105mm on the Pz4, do not use ANY AP rounds, replace with HE (do not use the 105 on the Panther or Panther 2)

In all other cases, the game generally sets up by default you having too many HE rounds for how useful they are. You really only need 4-5

Always carry a fire extinguisher, automatic ones are generally worth it at high tier.

Med packs and Repair kits are mandatory for all tanks.

Chocolate is not recommended due to your need of a fire extinguisher'

!The E-50M Leopard PTA and Leopard 1 have rear transmission and a low fire rate. Do not use an extinguisher, use chocolate or a second pack!

Crew Skills:

If you have a decent supply of gold, always train a crew skill and then retrain into the perk you want. That way you get the skill's effect while leveling it (perks have no effect until 100%)

The exception for the fire extinguisher applies to firefighting skills. Those tanks don't need them.

Start with any order of Sixth Sense + Brothers in Arms + Repairs. These are the "big three" of best skills and mediums use them well.

Perks -

Preventative Maintenance if you don't want Firefighting. You need one anti-fire crew skill!

Safe Stowage. The Panther 1 and 2 have weak ammo racks

Designated Target. Keeps enemies in sight longer for when you spot. Kinda meh, but useful.

Deadeye. Use with rapid fire guns only (75mm guns, the 88mm L/100 on the E-50) because what you do with the perk is shoot at engines and crew, and more shots in = more chance of a kill

Track mechanic. As generally a large target that is especially weak to being immobilized, every bit helps.

Skills - First of all, you're a medium, there are A TON of skills that work

Mentor. Take first or not at all.

Firefighting. If you don't take Prev. Maint. But really, take prev. Maint.

Pain Tolerance. Works very, very, VERY well for mediums. Plus your driver likes not dying as much when you ram fools

Controlled Impact. Starting with the Panther ramming is deadly with a heavy medium

Clutch Braking. Improved turn rate, compensating a weakness

Recon. Your viewport actually takes a beating because it's generally big

Off-road Driving. More mobility in the mud, see Clutch Braking

Jack of All Trades. Your driver and radio operator generally have a habit of... dying... will compensate for this. Also the Leopards lose crew like crazy.

Situational Awareness. More view range. Pair with Recon on setups that don't include Coated Optics

Armorer/Snap Shot/Smooth Ride. Like supercharging your stabilizer (only use with one). Generally a low priority however

Radica1Cat #2 Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9793 battles

E-50M:

• Preventative Maintenance
  • Firefighting

Let's you use chocolate instead of a fire extinguisher because you will almost never be set on fire.

Stang is a dirty girl.

MrWuvems #3 Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

View PostRadica1Cat, on 22 June 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

E-50M:

• Preventative Maintenance
  • Firefighting

Let's you use chocolate instead of a fire extinguisher because you will almost never be set on fire.

Agreed, but the massive disclaimer is needed because people... for some reason... still don't pack an extinguisher.

DbulHelix #4 Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:55 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 12519 battles

Good series of posts, TheMEagle!

One of my Medium exceptions, not seen on any other, is the use of Binocs on the Panther (and maybe Panther II, dependant on which gun is mounted).

All good advice for the Medium tanker!

Radica1Cat #5 Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9793 battles

View PostTheMEagle, on 22 June 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

Agreed, but the massive disclaimer is needed because people... for some reason... still don't pack an extinguisher.

Oh I know, don't worry. I see it more than enough! Just thought that for those who have the E-50M should know of the preferable alternative. :P

Stang is a dirty girl.

Ereaser NL #6 Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 2850 battles
I always use auto fire extinguisher :P 

View PostDbulHelix, on 22 June 2014 - 06:55 PM, said:

Good series of posts, TheMEagle!

One of my Medium exceptions, not seen on any other, is the use of Binocs on the Panther (and maybe Panther II, dependant on which gun is mounted).

All good advice for the Medium tanker!

I used camo net on my Panther I too because you can't really afford people to shoot at your weak armor

Beta tester | WoT360 Profile | Going clanless! (For now)

MrWuvems #7 Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

View PostEreaser NL, on 22 June 2014 - 01:09 PM, said:

I always use auto fire extinguisher :P 

I used camo net on my Panther I too because you can't really afford people to shoot at your weak armor

Just like to point out that the Panther has a terrible base camo rating, and the camo net is a multiplicative effect, meaning you both have bad base case and don't gain as much from it. Considering the Panther itself is one of those tanks where you'd put 5 equipment on it if you could, the TD setup could be seen as a waste.

Ereaser NL #8 Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:52 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 2850 battles

View PostTheMEagle, on 22 June 2014 - 08:38 PM, said:

Just like to point out that the Panther has a terrible base camo rating, and the camo net is a multiplicative effect, meaning you both have bad base case and don't gain as much from it. Considering the Panther itself is one of those tanks where you'd put 5 equipment on it if you could, the TD setup could be seen as a waste.

I found it very helpful. It's probably not the best choice but I also didn't want to spend silver on equipment for it (read: buy equipement that needs gold to be removed)

Beta tester | WoT360 Profile | Going clanless! (For now)

FMG SARGE #9 Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 12274 battles

Another good primer by the OP. Since I use my Panther like a sniper I have it set up like a TD (binoculars, camo netting, gun rammer) with the following skills/perks: camo, repairs, brother-in-arms, off-road driving, situational awareness and recon.

Good point about the lousy camo rating though. Vents would definitely a good alternative to the net.

LuckyNelly #10 Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17966 battles

Hmmm, I must overtly aggressive with my E50M as I use the following:

Rammer/Vents/Spall Liner

The reasoning behing the spall liner is with its 60kph speed its great for doing ramming damage as its also heavy for a medium

I also have the controlled imapct skill to support this equipment set-up and get the best out of the tank and minimise the damage to my own tank

This set-up is really good for dealing with them pesky Russian mediums when you come across them, RAM, hitting the tracks and then shoot and circle :playing:

Life is racing, everything else is just waiting!

IronBallsMatt #11 Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 10629 battles

the panther is my favourite tank at the moment and these notes were very useful:great:

i have the rammer, vents and binocs, usually run as a scout/ mobile TD

Temujiiin-reKhan #12 Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:31 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17717 battles

This is great advice... But allow me to enter my horse into the race.

I've distilled Panther driving into a fine brew, coupling creative use of equipment and skills/perks to optimize my play style.

The VK30.02M and Panther both run optics AND binocs, thatta way I can spot while on the push, and have even greater range while parked and sniping. I sacrificed the gun rammer for

this setup, but at 12-15 rounds a minute, it's easy to offset the rammer with improved vents and brothers in arms.

The Panther II runs with vents/binocs/GLD... 2.9 second aim time makes sniping difficult...

Additionally, recon and situational awareness are great for the spotter role, but snap shot and smoooooth ride make for better luck while charging and firing on the move into the badly chopped up enemy you've been picking apart at 400+ meters. I'll even go so far as to say that if you aren't engaging at that kinda range, you're doing it wrong! Deadeye is crucial, as well as sixth sense. But, I choose to build up 5 skills before worrying about stacking up perks.

E-50 and E-50m are epic mediums. Vert/Vents/Binocs. ROF is fine, just tear 'em up at range and move in for the finishing blow. It works 60% of the time.

Happy Hunting!

MrWuvems #13 Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:54 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

View PostTemujiiin Khan, on 04 September 2014 - 03:31 AM, said:

This is great advice... But allow me to enter my horse into the race.

I've distilled Panther driving into a fine brew, coupling creative use of equipment and skills/perks to optimize my play style.

The VK30.02M and Panther both run optics AND binocs, thatta way I can spot while on the push, and have even greater range while parked and sniping. I sacrificed the gun rammer for

this setup, but at 12-15 rounds a minute, it's easy to offset the rammer with improved vents and brothers in arms.

The Panther II runs with vents/binocs/GLD... 2.9 second aim time makes sniping difficult...

Additionally, recon and situational awareness are great for the spotter role, but snap shot and smoooooth ride make for better luck while charging and firing on the move into the badly chopped up enemy you've been picking apart at 400+ meters. I'll even go so far as to say that if you aren't engaging at that kinda range, you're doing it wrong! Deadeye is crucial, as well as sixth sense. But, I choose to build up 5 skills before worrying about stacking up perks.

E-50 and E-50m are epic mediums. Vert/Vents/Binocs. ROF is fine, just tear 'em up at range and move in for the finishing blow. It works 60% of the time.

Happy Hunting!

Do not use a combination of optics and binocs. You're essentially ALWAYS wasting an equipment slot. Also the rammer is 10% more DPM. A combination of Vents/BiA is 4.4%. Vents/BiA/Rammer is ~15%. You will always be ripped to shreds by a tank with a rammer when you don't have one. The only excuse to not have a rammer, on all tanks all the time is that you fire faster than you can aim. This never happens through the entire line.

Additionally, the Panther line is the second-worst line to use as a dedicated spotter(Russian has some... bad spotting ranges at times) due to love traverse speeds and bad camo rating. Never take the teeth away from a big cat, which you're doing when you don't have a rammer.

If you're taking Smooth Ride/Snap Shot/Recon/Sit Aware that early, then where the hell did Preventative Maint, Repairs, Lightbulb, and Clutch Braking go? They are pretty damn vital.

Temujiiin-reKhan #14 Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:02 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17717 battles

My crew is quite apt, and the beast shoots faster than 12.5 rounds per minute. The optics spot while on the run, and the binocs take over while stationary. Like I said, I've got Panther driving distilled down to an art...

Mentor and repairs come first, usually followed by snap shot or recon. I stack up 5 skills before I worry about sixth sense and deadeye, my rational being that the gun platform should be as stable as possible so snap shots and shooting while on the run is more effective, and so that deployment happens quickly. Clutch braking and off road driving are crucial for this first phase of training. Preventative mn and sixth sense can afford to wait for the second tier of skills/perks.

Edited by Temujiiin Khan, 07 September 2014 - 05:29 AM.

MrWuvems #15 Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:35 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

View PostTemujiiin Khan, on 07 September 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:

My crew is quite apt, and the beast shoots faster than 12.5 rounds per minute. The optics spot while on the run, and the binocs take over while stationary. Like I said, I've got Panther driving distilled down to an art...

Mentor and repairs come first, usually followed by snap shot or recon. I stack up 5 skills before I worry about sixth sense and deadeye, my rational being that the gun platform should be as stable as possible so snap shots and shooting while on the run is more effective, and so that deployment happens quickly. Clutch braking and off road driving are crucial for this first phase of training. Preventative mn and sixth sense can afford to wait for the second tier of skills/perks.

No matter what level your crew is at, 10% is 10%.

And you don't stack both kinds of optics because you will then be worse at what you're attempting to do than properly kitted tanks. Your tank is a worse sniper than a binoc/vents/rammer sniper because they deal 10% more damage and can shoot twice before retreating when fighting you. Gimping your DPM is also no bueno for fast-movers. It's not like lights where you can at least pretend you're not there to deal damage.

You also really, really need to avoid shooting on the move on a passive-spotter. You're going to be more accurate and get into less trouble if you learn to cover-dart and stutter.

Also, deadeye is also mechanically bad once you start mounting an 88mm. Its main goal is to keep pinging the engine to start fires and kill crews, which means rapid-fire guns (75mm). Seriously, it's a noob trap for most guns.

You're also... not putting fire suppression on a Panther-line tank until the 8th skill? wat? You're heavily invested in spotting without taking sixth sense?

And why? The only tanks in the game that are actually effective shooting while moving past 150m are British Heavies due to slow top speeds and low aim times. Even Pattons stop to shoot

Russian Turtles #16 Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:27 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 6987 battles

View PostTheMEagle, on 07 September 2014 - 10:35 PM, said:

No matter what level your crew is at, 10% is 10%.

And you don't stack both kinds of optics because you will then be worse at what you're attempting to do than properly kitted tanks. Your tank is a worse sniper than a binoc/vents/rammer sniper because they deal 10% more damage and can shoot twice before retreating when fighting you. Gimping your DPM is also no bueno for fast-movers. It's not like lights where you can at least pretend you're not there to deal damage.

You also really, really need to avoid shooting on the move on a passive-spotter. You're going to be more accurate and get into less trouble if you learn to cover-dart and stutter.

Also, deadeye is also mechanically bad once you start mounting an 88mm. Its main goal is to keep pinging the engine to start fires and kill crews, which means rapid-fire guns (75mm). Seriously, it's a noob trap for most guns.

You're also... not putting fire suppression on a Panther-line tank until the 8th skill? wat? You're heavily invested in spotting without taking sixth sense?

And why? The only tanks in the game that are actually effective shooting while moving past 150m are British heavies due to slow top speeds and low aim times. Even Pattons stop to shoot

The leopard 1 begs to differ

MrWuvems #17 Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:24 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles
Updated guide for certain exceptions at high-tier

CannierLicense4 #18 Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:45 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23867 battles

What are your thoughts on the Aufklärungspanzer Panther (awful-panther)?  I figured asking here was as good a place as any since it has the Panther body.

So far, I'm struggling with this thing.  It seems like a hodge-podge of tank parts in the worst possible combination.

The hull is big and easy to spot.

Armor is pretty thin even by medium/light tank standards.

View range is mediocre, but because of scout matchmaking most tanks you run into have same or better view range.

Gun selection is limited to 105Derp and Konish, which were great at tiers 5 & 6, but struggle in its matchmaking range.

Nuke2099 #19 Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

Major

• Players
  • 23956 battles
  • [KMD]
I still use a extinguisher rather than chocolate on my E-50M. Mainly because I don't have preventative maintenance. Maybe I should use chocolate anyway though.
lQqtvt1.gif

Canadian ODST 2 #20 Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:20 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 10814 battles

View PostLuckyNelly, on 07 August 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

Hmmm, I must overtly aggressive with my E50M as I use the following:

Rammer/Vents/Spall Liner

The reasoning behing the spall liner is with its 60kph speed its great for doing ramming damage as its also heavy for a medium

I also have the controlled imapct skill to support this equipment set-up and get the best out of the tank and minimise the damage to my own tank

This set-up is really good for dealing with them pesky Russian mediums when you come across them, RAM, hitting the tracks and then shoot and circle :playing:

just wait until you hit a french tank while you're going down hill in my e50 going about 70km/h one shot it with the ram threw his tank off the road we were on and took 0 damage got killed because i was laughing too hard

Also tagged with guide, german, medium, crew, equipment, consumables

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users