How to set up Your German Heavy (cliff notes)

Guide German Heavies Consumables Equipment Crew

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

MrWuvems #1 Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

Equipment:

Gun Rammer - Required

Improved Ventilation - Suggested, used by most heavy drivers

The third slot question has no right answer, use what's best for your tank and playstyle

Gun Laying Drive - Only really acceptable for the Tiger(P) everywhere else you have better options

Vertical Stabilizer - High-tier tanks love this in order to peek around corners, and shoot while slowly moving

Tool Box - Heavy tanks take a lot of tread and module damage, helps you get out of the arty death zone

Spall Liner - Protects you from arty shells that don't land on your engine deck. Tier 9/10s in particular shrug it off

Coated Optics - Extra vision that's always active

Binocs - German tanks are long-range with generally good view ranges. Using binocs is like having X-ray vision to see through bushes

Consumables:

!SWITCH ALL PREMIUM CONSUMABLE PRICES TO SILVER BY HITTING THE Y BUTTON!

Carry enough premium ammunition, at the least, to knock out your own tank.

If you are using the 105mm on the VK30 or 36, do not use ANY AP rounds, replace with HE (do not use the 105 on the Tiger)

In all other cases, the game generally sets up by default you having too many HE rounds for how useful they are. You really only need 4-5

This advice does not apply to the E-100 with its HEAT-spamming massive HE alpha silly gun.

Always carry a fire extinguisher, automatic ones are generally worth it at high tier.

Med packs and Repair kits are mandatory for all tanks.

Chocolate is not recommended due to your need of a fire extinguisher

Crew Skills:

If you have a decent supply of gold, always train a crew skill and then retrain into the perk you want. That way you get the skill's effect while leveling it (perks have no effect until 100%)

Start with any order of Sixth Sense + Brothers in Arms + Repairs. These are the "big three" of best skills and heavies use them well.

Perks:

Preventative Maintenance. Get it fool.

Track Mechanic. Mmmm delicious flanker tiers as they're not able to keep you in place

Skills:

Mentor. First or not at all.

Firefighting. If you don't take Prev. Maint.

Clutch Braking. Little tanks are going to want to get close so you can't bring your gun to bear. This helps. Also you turn slow as dirt anyway and it's annoying.

Pain Tolerance. You have a lot of HP. You will lose crew being shot through them all.

Off-road Driving. Big tank no like mud.

Jack of all Trades. It takes a lot of hits to kill a heavy, chances are you're going to lose some crew. Allows you to save your medpack for your commander.

Armorer. Have you seen how massive the barrel of your gun is? Desperate tankers like to aim for it. You also generally have good turret armor, so any damage done to the front of it is external damage to the gun.

Controlled Impact. Low priority, but German tanks are massive and have good top speeds. Other tanks spontaneously explode when rammed.

Snowden8 #2 Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28417 battles
  • [TACO]

Once you get to the E-75 fully upgraded I wouldn't bother with binocs, you are no longer a sniping tank and that carries over into the E100.

Also id recommend wet ammo rack on the tiger until you get safe stowage. It gets ammo racked constantly.

xtermin8r69 #3 Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13977 battles
So do you train Mentor and then work on Sixth Sense, BIA and Repairs in that order? Or do you do SS, BIA and Repairs then Mentor?

Ralphs Dad #4 Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 25099 battles
  • [CRPT]
BIA first for me with every tank, combined with vents. Personally I think it's a no brainer. Then repairs as you get tracked a lot in the heavies.

pR3y stalK3r #5 Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 13343 battles
Safe stowage is a must for most German heavies. Can't tell you how many times I have killed a Tiger I in one shot with a high-caliber shell to the ammo rack

XxHonorless83xX #6 Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 2931 battles

Repairs ALWAYS 1st with a Large Repair Kit. Nice job, I use my LOWE Crew which already had about 6 Perks/Skills when I roll with my Tiger II (Despite the Cost)- Optic's, Large-Rammer and Vents with all the Perks you have above except I'm almost halfway to Prevent Maintenance and could replace something with Firefighting but I don't get lit up a lot.  

I have Repairs, BIA, Dead Eye, Mentor, Safe Stowage, Clutch Braking (Though I'm switching that) and Sitiuational Awareness & maybe 1 more.

Tanks In My Garage- U.S./French- T224 AMX Chaffee,T26E4 SUPER PERSHINGT26 Pershing, M-18 Hellcat, T-29, M-103, CHINESEType 59, GER-VK 45.02 (P) Ausf. A, PANZER V/IV, Tiger II, E-75, LOWE , JagPanther II, Stub Emil-Grinding, E-25, Dicker Max, 8,8 cm Pak 43 Jagtiger SOVIET- IS-3, T-43 & KV-220.

Playertd #7 Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19690 battles
Nice write-up, the amount of people that don't run fire extinguishers on these tanks is amazing, hope some of the randoms read this...

4HPMvmm.jpg

O Elric O #8 Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:16 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 4859 battles

View PostPlayertd, on 23 June 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

Nice write-up, the amount of people that don't run fire extinguishers on these tanks is amazing, hope some of the randoms read this...

I have to totally agree about the fire extinguishers.  It completely blows my mind how many German Heavy drivers neglect to have a fire extinguisher.  I have never left my garage without one period.

now for my question

Is the benefit of automatic fire extinguishers justify the cost?  My main tank is E 100 and I have not used the auto ex due to the cost.  I am not worried about losing credits, but I want to ensure it is worth the 20K.

XxHonorless83xX #9 Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:44 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 2931 battles
I may not use Firefighting or have Preventive Maintenance all the way yet but once u get to a Tier 5/6 German Tank especially the Heavy Line it's worth spending the $3 Grand for a Extinguisher but on Tier 8 or better Tanks or TD's it's a Auto Extinguisher & nothing else. I get lit up like other people but seems like not as much but I always pack one.

Edited by Honorless8301, 24 June 2014 - 01:46 AM.

Tanks In My Garage- U.S./French- T224 AMX Chaffee,T26E4 SUPER PERSHINGT26 Pershing, M-18 Hellcat, T-29, M-103, CHINESEType 59, GER-VK 45.02 (P) Ausf. A, PANZER V/IV, Tiger II, E-75, LOWE , JagPanther II, Stub Emil-Grinding, E-25, Dicker Max, 8,8 cm Pak 43 Jagtiger SOVIET- IS-3, T-43 & KV-220.

IxAMxLEGENDARY #10 Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:47 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4050 battles

View PostO Elric O, on 23 June 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

I have to totally agree about the fire extinguishers.  It completely blows my mind how many German Heavy drivers neglect to have a fire extinguisher.  I have never left my garage without one period.

now for my question

Is the benefit of automatic fire extinguishers justify the cost?  My main tank is E 100 and I have not used the auto ex due to the cost.  I am not worried about losing credits, but I want to ensure it is worth the 20K.

Buy an auto extinguisher, I run my E-100 with preventative maintenance and a premium extinguisher. It's rare when I'm set on fire. The premium extinguisher even adds an active bonus of 10% to resist catching fire.

So unless your giving opfor good angles on your engine or not hiding your transmission you really don't be set in fire.

Buy it.

O Elric O #11 Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 4859 battles

View PostIxAMxLEGENDARY, on 23 June 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

Buy an auto extinguisher, I run my E-100 with preventative maintenance and a premium extinguisher. It's rare when I'm set on fire. The premium extinguisher even adds an active bonus of 10% to resist catching fire.

So unless your giving opfor good angles on your engine or not hiding your transmission you really don't be set in fire.

Buy it.

Thanks for the advise.  With that logic how could I refuse............premium ex purchased

Playertd #12 Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:41 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19690 battles
Yeah I always run premium fire extinguisher and premium repair kit in my E-75 and E-100. Just go with standard med kit though. I never use the repair kit on tracks, just when they knockout my engine, ammo rack and gun, it's nice to repair all that shiz haha. Plus these tanks rack in the silver so I generally don't lose silver.

4HPMvmm.jpg

yourscreendoor #13 Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 7034 battles
I would recommend dead eye as well. An extra 3% chance in damaging modules could be beneficial.

headcrackin dad #14 Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 34145 battles
I would recommend not choosing deadeye til last,,It robs you of potential damage and kills...u dont know how many times i have hit a damaged tank.and after I hit for the kill..the red has 1 to 100 dmg left..when it should have died..Traded it off my crew and made a BIG difference

DertyChewbacca #15 Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:43 PM

Major

• Players
  • 8897 battles

I usually play my Tiger I as a support Heavy. What do you think would be the best equipment for my style? I was thinking gun rammer, vents, and for the third I was torn between GLD and optics.  

Also, What do you recommend for the lower tier Heavies? Tier 4-6? Same set up as mentioned above? What about Tier 8-10? More brawling set up like gun rammer, vents, GLD?

O Elric O #16 Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 4859 battles

View Posthofbrauwatts, on 14 July 2014 - 07:43 PM, said:

I usually play my Tiger I as a support Heavy. What do you think would be the best equipment for my style? I was thinking gun rammer, vents, and for the third I was torn between GLD and optics.  

Also, What do you recommend for the lower tier Heavies? Tier 4-6? Same set up as mentioned above? What about Tier 8-10? More brawling set up like gun rammer, vents, GLD?

Disclaimer:  I am not claiming to be an expert.  The following is my own opinion.

If you intend on playing a support/sniper tiger I would go with the Equipment that would enhance that play style.

Rammer:  Is a good starting point.  Increase in DPM by lowering your reload time.  Vents, Brothers in arms, all assist in reducing reload time.

Vents:  This is a nice piece that will improve your tank all around.  I would suggest that if you choose vents to ensure that you have the "Brothers In Arms"  Perk.  They have a cumulative effect on raising your crew's abilities i.e.  reduced loading time, reduced aiming time, better aim etc etc

Lastly GLD or Optics?  If you are playing support I assume that you are behind the front lines supporting the Heavies.  Due to your distance you can afford the longer base aim time and pre aim where you are going to fire.  The increase in view range that optics will give you will only make you that much more effective.

Conversly, some would say to let your team spot for you and pass on the optics.  I typically find that after the front collapses or at mid to late game the extra view range pays off.

Good luck with your choices! 

MrWuvems #17 Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:25 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles
I don't think any of this needs an update. Except for maybe a mention on how you should spam red rounds on the DW2. But then again mentioning the dumbwagon makes my brain sad.

MrWuvems #18 Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:29 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles
Ze new crew skills. zey are gut, yah?

Also tagged with Guide, German, Heavies, Consumables, Equipment, Crew

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users