How to set up Your British Medium (cliff notes)

guide british mediums crew consumables equipment

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

MrWuvems #1 Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:24 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

Equipment:

First of all, there's no 100% right answer. There are three main popular builds, and a couple of variations. What you choose goes to playstyle.

Gun Rammer - mandatory. Actually, there is a right answer. always use a rammer

Improved Ventilation - one of your best options

Vertical Stabilizer - perfect for shooting while moving and playing peek-a-boo

Coated Optics - If you're in a medium, your job includes spotting. You'll be moving a lot because that's how you stay alive

The most popular builds- aggressive (rammer/stabilizer/vents), scout (rammer/stabilizer/optics), sniper (rammer/vents/optics)

Binoculars - okay at high tier when using a 20lber gun. Extreme accuracy and top-notch DPM means you're an effective long-range support sniper

Improved Gun Laying Drive - Only really useful at tier 6, with the Cromwell being super-fast and unable to mount a stab.

Wet Ammo Rack - compensates for a general weakness from the line, but generally not as good for most players as more standard equipment

Consumables:

!SWITCH ALL PREMIUM CONSUMABLE PRICES TO SILVER BY HITTING THE Y BUTTON!

Carry enough premium ammunition, at the least, to knock out your own tank.

You really, really don't want to be running any HE rounds in any tank in the line save the howitzers. The Centurion 7/1 gets a special HE with high penetration as a premium round. That one's good though.

Med packs and Repair kits are mandatory for all tanks.

Fire Extinguisher is a good, cheap option that can save you.

High Octane gas adds horsepower. While it doesn't increase your max speed, it makes you more agile, turning faster and accelerating even better than your already good standard. It is a myth that high octane gas increases the chance of engine fires.

Pudding! Pudding is like having another ventilation or Brothers In Arms. Expensive but great.

Use med pack + repair kit + whatever you want in the third slot

Crew Skills:

If you have a decent supply of gold, always train a crew skill and then retrain into the perk you want. That way you get the skill's effect while leveling it (perks have no effect until 100%)

Start with any order of Sixth Sense + Brothers in Arms + Repairs. These are the "big three" of best skills and mediums use them well.

Perks -

Safe Stowage. Easy to hit ammo racks will be your bane in British tanks. This may save your tank in some occasions

Deadeye. British mediums use softer-hitting rapid fire guns. This makes Deadeye really, really good. Aim for the engine compartment.

Preventative Maintenance to help reduce fires. Generally the better option if you don't have vents... or BiA (you should)

Armorer. Debatable usefulness on the Centurions due to their thick mantlet. Generally not advised elsewhere

Silent Driving. As a hill fighter, it gives you a minor advantage peeking over hills. It could in certain situations allow you to fire and retreat before they're able to react.

Skills-

Mentor. Take first or not at all

Firefighting. Different take on how you want to prevent dying in a fire.

Clutch Braking. Certain tanks move faster forward than they can turn. Other tanks you can almost turn the entire tank around in a couple of seconds.

Off-road Driving. A solid alternative that, for once, is on equal footing with clutch braking. As support tanks and flankers, getting into unexpected places is your bread and butter. Amplifies your natural agility.

Jack of All Trades. Your turret is super strong starting at tier 7. Your commander dies less than your other crew, especially the loader and driver

Situational Awareness. More view range. Pair with Recon to exceed the cap (this is good) with optics.

Recon. Less view range than the above. Your view port isn't as targeted as other tanks, due to turret setup.

Armorer/Snap Shot/Smooth Ride. Like supercharging your stabilizer (only use with one). Generally a low priority however

Xxo VIZZA oxX #2 Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:59 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15015 battles
Good enough. Thanks. I've only been playing for a couple of weeks and choosing the right equipment always has me second guessing myself. Do you have any equipment recommendations for heavy tanks as well?

MrWuvems #3 Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:05 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

View PostXxo VIZZA oxX, on 22 June 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

Good enough. Thanks. I've only been playing for a couple of weeks and choosing the right equipment always has me second guessing myself. Do you have any equipment recommendations for heavy tanks as well?

Yes

Depending on if you have a supply of gold to dismount it, for the Churchill 1 Rammer/Vents/Optics (you have gold) or Rammer/Toolbox/Binocs (you have no gold), since the latter you get the silver back when you're done with the tank.

Victorious Nox #4 Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10285 battles
  • [P4NDA]

I disagree with the rammer on the Cromwell and comet. EGLD is a better option. 

Everything else......meh I agree with the majority. 

1st wave EU Beta Tester

​Immortals Member

MrWuvems #5 Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:42 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

View PostVictorious Nox, on 23 June 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

I disagree with the rammer on the Cromwell and comet. EGLD is a better option. 

Everything else......meh I agree with the majority. 

10% more dpm

10% more dpm

10% MORE DPM

Wraith108 #6 Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:54 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 5601 battles
How fast do they fire? Anything under 4 seconds is a wasted slot IMO. 

MrWuvems #7 Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:08 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

View PostWraith108, on 23 June 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

How fast do they fire? Anything under 4 seconds is a wasted slot IMO. 

If you fire a fast gun, you get 10% more damage output

If you fire a slow gun, you get 10% more damage output

If your crew is at 50%, you get 10% more damage output

If everything is maxxed out, you get 10% more damage output

Victorious Nox #8 Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:36 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10285 battles
  • [P4NDA]

View PostTheMEagle, on 24 June 2014 - 12:42 AM, said:

10% more dpm

10% more dpm

10% MORE DPM

Yes but you fire quicker then you can aim, and to me that's simply not cricket. It's like taking a rammer on the Crusader/Matilda, sure you can fire quicker, but what's the point if your not accurately hitting your target.

i run on my Cromwell/Comet:  Vents - EGLD - improved suspension 

& on my Centurions and FV4202: Vents - Rammer - Coated Optics. 

1st wave EU Beta Tester

​Immortals Member

FiST_Rocky #9 Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 4989 battles
  • [BUMZ]

On my Centurions and 4202, I run rammer and stabilizer so to have accuracy on the move, because movement is life. Same with the crew, snapshot and smooth driving. Which means my only choice is the 3rd item, vents or optics. Tried the optics for the view range, but found I get better performance on a whole with vents, because being able to load, shoot, and REPAIR faster, is more worth the extra 5% view range only.

If no stabilizer, then the egld for the better accuracy on the faster shooting tanks.

Edited by Harry Krishna, 24 June 2014 - 11:35 AM.

rick007cmx1 #10 Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:21 AM

Major

• Players
  • 58859 battles

View PostVictorious Nox, on 24 June 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yes but you fire quicker then you can aim, and to me that's simply not cricket. It's like taking a rammer on the Crusader/Matilda, sure you can fire quicker, but what's the point if your not accurately hitting your target.

i run on my Cromwell/Comet:  Vents - EGLD - improved suspension

& on my Centurions and FV4202: Vents - Rammer - Coated Optics.

Centurions need wet ammo rack.

MrWuvems #11 Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

View Postrick007cmx1, on 29 July 2014 - 02:21 AM, said:

Centurions need wet ammo rack.

Never not hull down in a cent

TangoLit #12 Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:08 AM

Major

• Players
  • 29362 battles
  • [BANE]

View PostTheMEagle, on 23 June 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

10% more dpm

10% more dpm

10% MORE DPM

Here's a little feedback for ya'.

I moved my 7 perk/skill crew from my Cromwell back when I got my 4202 (moved the better 7/1 crew to the 4202 and pulled the Cromwell crew up to the big leagues in the 7/1).  Obviously I just moved my next best crew into my Cromwell... it only has one skill which is being researched and it's only 1% done.  I have not been back to the Cromwell since then, so that's how it's stayed.

Fast forward...

With the current E50m event I've been running the VK 30.02 M working my way to the Panther.  I've just fully upgraded it.  Overall I've been doing much better with my W/L on all the tanks I've been working on lately, and on my VK 30.02 M my W/L rate is at 53%.  This is much better than I did with the British mediums.  My Cromwell W/L is at 48% with 487 games... so, I've been assuming this is just how I'll fare in this tank (as though I just disagree with the Cromwell... uh, no).  But now that my VK is fully upgraded I've been thinking that while it is a great tank, it seems to lack something for a fully upgraded tier 6 medium.  Oh yea, the Cromwell!!  So I went back to the Cromwell and took it for a spin... um, yea.  I didn't know what I was doing when I played it before.  Not that I do now, but I'm doing something better than I used to.  Needless to say I had a great game.  But, I noticed that the Cromwell was not reloading as fast as it used to... Oh... the crew!  I don't have BiA yet.  My goodness, that loss of the extra BiA 5% is noticeable!

Now I come to this thread as I'm rethinking my Equipment and I see some banter about the Rammer.  Oh man... I think you are sooooo right about the extra DPM with rammer.  And once I get BiA, well, it'll all get even better.

So, here's me thanking you (again) for these set-up threads.  They really do help.  Cheers, and keep up the great work!

(suggestion to WG - you might think about Pinning these posts)

Git gud here:  bit.ly/tankguide (I should read this).  On Track list.

8000 is better than 11090 - shaunw2010

Death in Jest #13 Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 14550 battles
  • [DPM-U]
If you add the gun rammer to the Comet it's a beast. The amount of DPM you can dish out is unreal.

For Hire.....

MrWuvems #14 Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:12 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles
Updated, old beans

Vanpeebles #15 Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:07 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7054 battles
I ended up taking the rammer off my Matilda BP as even with a great crew it could fire far faster than accurately aim, so unless you were close up a lot of shots were wasted.

British Tanker!

Orbtastic1 #16 Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:58 AM

Major

• Players
  • 42741 battles
  • [UK]

I run my Crom with a rammer, vents and optics, serves me well.

The aim time vs fire rate is one I try and balance and like others have said, often best to balance ROF without a rammer but replace it with either vents or GLD (or vert stab if higher tier).

I'm thinking anything with a 6pdr or a quick firing 57mm - I don't use rammer but use either vents or GLD.

GLA Odin #17 Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:32 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10835 battles
  • [MOSS]
All those crew skills and no british premium to train my one trusty Brit crew currently sitting in my new Cent.1

100% genuine Scotsman

Struggling to keep a full Garage since 2013.

RagingxMarmoset #18 Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10241 battles
  • [BNKR]
Great stuff in here. I'm going to restart my Comet grind tonight, and I think this info will really help.

"Talent is a pursued interest. Anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." - Bob Ross

Also tagged with guide, british, mediums, crew, consumables, equipment

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users