How to set up Your British Heavy (cliff notes)

Guide British Heavies Consumables Crew Equipment

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

MrWuvems #1 Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:51 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

Equipment:

First thing you'll notice is that the playstyle of these tanks varies immensely transitioning from tier 7 to 8. What doesn't change: you are a support tank. Stay on the second line, equip yourself as such, but also make sure you're comfortable taking the lead. A HIGHLY recommend treating, and equipping, the Caernarvon as a medium in particular

Gun Rammer - Required

Improved Ventilation - Expensive but really good on a consistent basis

Gun Laying Drive - decent enough at tier 5-6, gets outshown later

Vertical Stabilizer - you can move forward and still maintain bizarrely good accuracy and shoot while moving

Spall Liner - One one hand, it protects from arty, on the other hand, you have big engine decks the arty can penetrate anyway (and bypass the equipment)

Toolbox - You have big, exposed tracks. You always will. Anything to prevent you from being constantly held in place.

Coated Optics - If you're always slowly on the move, it means you're less easy to lead into a trap.

Binoculars - I'd recommend it for the Caern and Conq, since those are support snipers instead of support bricks. Kind of goes to waste when used on previous tanks.

C02 Fuel Tanks - most engine fires will come from fuel line ruptures, not engine damage.

Consumables:

!SWITCH ALL PREMIUM CONSUMABLE PRICES TO SILVER BY HITTING THE Y BUTTON!

Carry enough premium ammunition, at the least, to knock out your own tank.

The game generally sets up by default you having too many HE rounds for how useful they are. Consider taking... none. UK HE rounds are awful, until you get 120mm HESH shells. In which case a couple will do you.

Med packs and Repair kits are mandatory for all tanks.

Fire Extinguisher is a good, cheap option that can save you.

High Octane gas adds horsepower. For hill climbing and turning

Pudding! Pudding is like having another ventilation or Brothers In Arms. Expensive but great.

Double Medpack/Repair kit. Combining a standard and premium kit allows you to have two of them. Expensive, but, due to your HP pool and other factors, critical things in the tank often get hit a lot

Use med pack + repair kit + whatever you want in the third slot

Crew Skills:

If you have a decent supply of gold, always train a crew skill and then retrain into the perk you want. That way you get the skill's effect while leveling it (perks have no effect until 100%)

Start with any order of Sixth Sense + Brothers in Arms + Repairs. These are the "big three" of best skills and mediums use them well.

Perks -

Safe Stowage. Easy to hit ammo racks will be your bane in British tanks. This may save your tank in some occasions

Deadeye. Good penetration, rapid fire, accurate guns. Yah, good stuff for the Deadeye perk. Don't use with the final package of the Conqueror though, shoots too slow.

Preventative Maintenance IS NOT RECOMMENDED. The source of most of your engine fires will be from fuel tank ruptures

Skills-

Mentor. Take first or not at all Don't take mentor

Firefighting. Fights fires (duh)

Pain Tolerance. Very. Very good. Less crew deaths = more effective tank.

Track Mechanic. You can't stop the blob. Always good on heavies.

Clutch Braking. You never outgrow wanting your heavy to turn faster

Off-road Driving. Combine with Clutch Braking and it means your tank takes less than 3 years to turn around in the mud

Jack of All Trades. Your driver will die. Your driver will die a lot. Nobody cares about the radio operator, but he dies too. Especially good tier 7-8

Recon. Heavy tanks attract a lot of HE fire that likes to hit the view port. Also take it the same reason you take Coated Optics. Not as important as on mediums, however.

Armorer/Snap Shot/Smooth Ride. Like supercharging your stabilizer (only use with one). Generally a low priority however

Note on stealth skills/perks - no. Especially not on the Conquerer. You're always moving and have awful base camo to begin with.

Edited by TheMEagle, 02 September 2015 - 02:06 AM.

Nuke2099 #2 Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23956 battles
  • [KMD]

My Conqueror: Optics, Vert, Rammer.

Skills listing in no particular order: Sixth Sense, Snap Shot, Smooth Ride, Repairs, Recon, Situational Awareness. Safe Stowage, Brothers in Arms.

Currently training Mentor because I didn't feel it really "needs" anything else and I thought I might as well get it now if I get anymore skills/perks :)

Edited by Nuke2099, 06 September 2015 - 02:23 PM.

lQqtvt1.gif

Durthorin #3 Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 37836 battles
Everything after the Black Prince I have treated essentially like a BIG Panther. 
photo Durthorin.jpg

badasskilla man #4 Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 39435 battles
Until they have a perk "big gun" im not interested in wasting any more time with this tank. 

Nuke2099 #5 Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23956 battles
  • [KMD]

View Postbadasskilla man, on 08 July 2014 - 07:51 PM, said:

Until they have a perk "big gun" im not interested in wasting any more time with this tank. 

The Conqueror is the "perk" for "big gun" :P

lQqtvt1.gif

Donk67 #6 Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 22839 battles
Been playing the Caernarvon now for just over a week, did I mention I finished off an E-100 with it!? Anyway, I've since added a camouflage net and binocular telescope and was wondering what you Caernarvon players would put in thirdly in the limited equipment stock list, I can't decide between Enhanced Gun laying drive (EGLD), vertical stabilizer MK2 or improved ventilation class 3. Fyi, I tend not to go charging in if I can help it but tend to hang back and play as a sniper, covering the flanks.... All advice welcome, so long as it's constructive :popcorn:

"Shoot low and hit them in the sprockets"

"That should take the fight out of them"

Nuke2099 #7 Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

Major

• Players
  • 23956 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostDonk67, on 09 August 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

Been playing the Caernarvon now for just over a week, did I mention I finished off an E-100 with it!? Anyway, I've since added a camouflage net and binocular telescope and was wondering what you Caernarvon players would put in thirdly in the limited equipment stock list, I can't decide between Enhanced Gun laying drive (EGLD), vertical stabilizer MK2 or improved ventilation class 3. Fyi, I tend not to go charging in if I can help it but tend to hang back and play as a sniper, covering the flanks.... All advice welcome, so long as it's constructive :popcorn:

Well if you have the gold to take equipment off (to move it to the Conqueror) and the silver I would go for vents, vertical stabiliser and gun rammer. If you want to stay as a sniper then vents, gun rammer and binocs. The tank has meh camo anyway so that won't be much use and the gun already aims fast so GLD is useless.

lQqtvt1.gif

Donk67 #8 Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 22839 battles

View PostNuke2099, on 09 August 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

Well if you have the gold to take equipment off (to move it to the Conqueror) and the silver I would go for vents, vertical stabiliser and gun rammer. If you want to stay as a sniper then vents, gun rammer and binocs. The tank has meh camo anyway so that won't be much use and the gun already aims fast so GLD is useless.

Yeah, I have the gold to swop and change, so can implement any changes when necessary. I'll keep it as a sniper for now but set it up as per your suggestion and see how it goes, just wish there were more equipment slots, two would be good. Cheers. +1

MrWuvems #9 Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:07 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles
Wat wat, Bob's ur update

Donk67 #10 Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:56 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 22839 battles
Well I see I've already been here before. Lets see, in my garage I have mostly heavies some brawlers some snipers, always add vents. Sometimes binoculars, for the snipers. Coated optics for the brawlers. Then a large tank gun rammer. I always research crews  in the same order so, mentor, repairs, brothers in arms, recon, dead eye, eagle eye, designated target, smooth ride........... etc.....

Also tagged with Guide, British, Heavies, Consumables, Crew, Equipment

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users