Rube Goldberg Tank Gun!

Rube Goldberg WoT 360 XBOX Contest Youtube

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

HBFT WGA #1 Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:07 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 289 battles

Tanks are complex machines that are known for their durability and simplistic purpose. While firing a tank cannon is a relatively simple process, we would like your help to make it the most complicated and convoluted process ever!  If you are up for the challenge we want you to design/implement your own Rube Goldberg machine that will "fire" your own "tank gun" (in a safe manner).

Pizzastorm and I have prepared an example of a basic (mostly "dominoed" - is that a word?) example of what we are talking about below:

Spoiler

How to join the contest:

• Construct a Rube Goldberg Machine that will "fire" a "tank cannon" (i.e. We used a foosball table ball rolling out of a paper towel tube)
  • Take a video of your RG machine with your gamertag handwritten on a piece of paper (clearly visible in the image).
  • Share your RG machine in action by posting a Youtube link in this forum thread

Rules:

• All players are welcome to join the contest but each player can submit only one entry.
  • The creation must be designed exclusively for this contest.
  • Entries will be judged on creativity, quality, complexity, etc.
  • All videos can be posted using the "Embed YouTube Video" option found on your existing forum tools
  • Wargaming gains exclusive rights to the contest image when you post it on the forum, as outlined in the “10. User Generated Content” section of the Terms of Service

The submission deadline is July 15 at 23:59 PST (July 16 06:59 UTC).

Prizes:

1st place: 6,000 Gold + 1 week of Premium Time

2nd place: 4,000 Gold + 1 week of Premium Time

3rd place: 2,500 Gold + 1 week of Premium Time

ARRothe #2 Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 6031 battles

Here in the UK, we'd call this a 'Heath Robinson' idea ... William Heath-Robinson was a British guy who did loads of drawings of machines to do ordinary things: Like a whole series of conveyor belts and cogs stretching undr a street to do something really simple ... like rotate washing lines or something. I have a book full of his contraptions. Nice idea for a contest .. I'll see what I can come up with.

"A battle is, in effect, a contest between two wills - your own and that of the enemy general." - Bernard Montgomery
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Skelbonic Twitch name is WoT_ARRothe, look out for me during livestreams :)

CyberValkyr #3 Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

Major

• Players
  • 17396 battles
I LOVE RUBE GOLDBERGS!!! But if i want to record it how do i put it up on the forums?
Formerly known as Zambieslayer28 

CyberValkyr #4 Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

Major

• Players
  • 17396 battles
guys, theres a chance you may lose because i make alot of these things :trollface:

HBFT WGA #5 Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 289 battles

View PostARRothe, on 23 June 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

Here in the UK, we'd call this a 'Heath Robinson' idea ... William Heath-Robinson was a British guy who did loads of drawings of machines to do ordinary things: Like a whole series of conveyor belts and cogs stretching undr a street to do something really simple ... like rotate washing lines or something. I have a book full of his contraptions. Nice idea for a contest .. I'll see what I can come up with.

Ooh, well I am very excited to see what Heath Robinson you can come up with! :)  You have three weeks, so hopefully that will be enough time.

View PostZambieSlayer28, on 23 June 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

I LOVE RUBE GOLDBERGS!!! But if i want to record it how do i put it up on the forums?

Well, I got Pizzastorm to help me film our RG creation using my cellphone.  Then I took the video and uploaded it to Youtube and posted it into the contest thread with the "Embed Youtube Video" option.  Hope that helps!

CyberValkyr #6 Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 17396 battles

View PostHBFT WGA, on 23 June 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

Ooh, well I am very excited to see what Heath Robinson you can come up with! :)  You have three weeks, so hopefully that will be enough time.

Well, I got Pizzastorm to help me film our RG creation using my cellphone.  Then I took the video and uploaded it to Youtube and posted it into the contest thread with the "Embed Youtube Video" option.  Hope that helps!

tanks, I'm gonna think of what to do now.

Ignitable Duk #7 Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7706 battles
I would like to try, although there is very little chance ill be able to make something simply because im not at my house atm. However, i could try to draw something... (i know i wouldnt be eligible for a prize, but it would still be fun)

LadyObscura WGA #8 Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

Live Ops Producer

• Developers
  • 1546 battles

View PostHBFT WGA, on 23 June 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

Spoiler

Time well-invested!  Can't wait to see what you guys come up with :smile:

Dadiman81 #9 Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 4292 battles

I can't wait to see these.

BUT, I think whoever designed the Russian tank guns wins by default!  My crew usually sits intrigued by the loading mechanism more than they spend time firing the gun!

Ereaser NL #10 Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:29 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 2850 battles

View PostHBFT WGA, on 23 June 2014 - 05:07 PM, said:

Rules:

• Wargaming gains exclusive rights to the contest image when you post it on the forum, as outlined in the “10. User Generated Content” section of the Terms of Service

Just an FYI, there is no word about user generated content in there :p

And I'm looking forward to the stuff people are going to make up :D

Oops!  My link went to the EULA instead of the Terms of Service.  Updated!

~HBFT

Beta tester | WoT360 Profile | Going clanless! (For now)

ADDPaladin #11 Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7861 battles

Just a couple questions. Does it have to fire at a target? Can I use my crossbow? Or more generally who determines safe? I'm experienced with weapons(I normally carry with permit) but some people are uncomfortable around my police friends who as part of their job must always be armed. Thinking of the crossbow for the final piece since the TDs are railguns at high tiers.

Edited by ADDPaladin, 24 June 2014 - 04:28 PM.

HBFT WGA #12 Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 289 battles

View PostADDPaladin, on 24 June 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

Just a couple questions. Does it have to fire at a target? Can I use my crossbow? Or more generally who determines safe? I'm experienced with weapons(I normally carry with permit) but some people are uncomfortable around my police friends who as part of their job must always be armed. Thinking of the crossbow for the final piece since the TDs are railguns at high tiers.

No, your "tank gun" does not have to fire at a target.  We just added a tank because we thought it was even cooler to look at.

Yes, you can use anything that you would like to, but I would like to emphasize that I do not want anyone getting hurt from this contest.  I'm sure you are an experienced user of weaponry and I trust that you will take all necessary precautions to avoid injury before triggering your RG creation.  :)

Ereaser NL #13 Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:46 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 2850 battles

I made one :D

Had some trouble uploading it using Youtube Capture, since this is my first time uploading anything to Youtube :p but got it working now :)

Failed entry:

Real Entry

I know it's quite simple, but didn't have much to work with really :tongue:

Used:

- an empty tissue box for the slope

- cans of deodorant for ammo

- zipper earbuds to lock in the ammo and release the ammo by letting them slide down the slope enough so the ammo get enough momentum and rolls over it

- dog slippers as target

- messy desk scenery

Last edit: Added video in which I had a paper with my GT on it. Kept the old one up for fun :)

It took some tweaking to get it working again, but I bet the Germans would be jealous of my manufacturing skills :tongue:

Thank you for adding your Gamertag Ereaser NL! :)  I really appreciate it!

~HBFT

JakeLandon #14 Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:30 AM

Major

• Players
  • 18780 battles
  • [LION]
I have a question: Can one edit posts? as in maybe uploading a better video before the deadline? well, edited after this post I guess, just thought I would ask. Thanks in advance.

"I don't demand that people think or behave the way I do. I have just as many questions about my own ideas as other people might have about my ideas. I'm not convinced I'm absolutely right all the time, but I'll take the chance and state my opinion at the time that I have it. I may regret it later, I may even change my mind later, but I take a stand."-  Frank Zappa

HBFT WGA #15 Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 289 battles

View PostJakeLandon, on 24 June 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

I have a question: Can one edit posts? as in maybe uploading a better video before the deadline? well, edited after this post I guess, just thought I would ask. Thanks in advance.

Yes, you are more than welcome to edit your videos until the deadline.  I do not want to limit your creativity if you come up with some diabolically awesome idea later! :)

HBFT WGA #16 Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 289 battles

View PostEreaser NL, on 24 June 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

I made one :D

Had some trouble uploading it using Youtube Capture, since this is my first time uploading anything to Youtube :p but got it working now :)

I know it's quite simple, but didn't have much to work with really :tongue:

Used:

- an empty tissue box for the slope

- cans of deodorant for ammo

- zipper earbuds to lock in the ammo and release the ammo by letting them slide down the slope enough so the ammo get enough momentum and rolls over it

- dog slipper as target

- pants and messy desk scenery

Final edit: The video seems to be good now :)

The sides are a bit shakey, but I think Youtube capture did that :p

Haha that is awesome.  You hit the dog slipper target for great victory! :)  I know that this may be a bit of a pain, but do you think it would be possible to retake the video with your Gamertag handwritten on a piece of paper in the video?

Seriously though, thank you for being the first to submit an entry! :)

ARRothe #17 Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:55 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 6031 battles

This is my pretty 'meh' first attempt .. if I make a better one and replace this one before the deadline, is that allowed? 

EDIT: Quick explanation:

- The model british army truck runs down the plank , hitting the model rail carriage. The train carriage then runs down the tracks, hitting a set of 3 VHS cases acting as dominoes. They then trigger a model Churchill tank, which races down a bridge to the breech of the gun, sending a rainbow coloured premium ball round out of the end and into the barrier of model tanks. :)

Edited by ARRothe, 25 June 2014 - 06:57 PM.

"A battle is, in effect, a contest between two wills - your own and that of the enemy general." - Bernard Montgomery
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Skelbonic Twitch name is WoT_ARRothe, look out for me during livestreams :)

HBFT WGA #18 Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:03 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 289 battles

View PostARRothe, on 25 June 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

This is my pretty 'meh' first attempt .. if I make a better one and replace this one before the deadline, is that allowed? 

- The model british army truck runs down the plank , hitting the model rail carriage. The train carriage then runs down the tracks, hitting a set of 3 VHS cases acting as dominoes. They then trigger a model Churchill tank, which races down a bridge to the breech of the gun, sending a rainbow coloured premium ball round out of the end and into the barrier of model tanks. :)

Woah!  That is great!  And yes, if you make another one and replace this one before the deadline, that is allowed.

Ereaser NL #19 Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:08 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 2850 battles

View PostHBFT WGA, on 25 June 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

Haha that is awesome.  You hit the dog slipper target for great victory! :)  I know that this may be a bit of a pain, but do you think it would be possible to retake the video with your Gamertag handwritten on a piece of paper in the video?

Seriously though, thank you for being the first to submit an entry! :)

Ooops totally missed that!

Will try to retake it right now!

I'll also take out the pants scenery hehe :P

Ereaser NL #20 Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:11 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 2850 battles

View PostARRothe, on 25 June 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

[video]

I don't think your tanks would do well against my arty shells muwhhaha:tongue: Great vid though!

Also tagged with Rube, Goldberg, WoT, 360, XBOX, Contest, Youtube

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users