Centurion guide best-practices

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

TangoLit #1 Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:00 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29362 battles
  • [BANE]
Summary (or, how much of this longwinded post do you really want to read):  I'm seeking insight from those that have figured out the best performance techniques for the Centurion mk. 1, 7/1 and the FV4202.  I'm looking for best-practices, recommended guides, and recommended videos.

For long-winded details, read on.

Background.  I've just finished the last upgrade on the Centurion mk. 1 and am trying to get fully acquainted with my new little lovely.  I've been studying both of the Centurions and the FV4202, especially as it relates to:

1. How their cannons should be used against OpFor (I'm using the pen models in the "Knowledgebase for WoT" app on my Android), and
  2. How to most effectively use their armor (especially the Centurion mk. 1 since that's what I'm currently using), and
  3. How they really should be used in engagements both from a team and individual tanker's point of view.

I have noticed:

1. Guns.
    • The 20lb cannon is great (love it), though it reloads too slow to be effective if cover is an issue.  Metered peek-a-boom and careful terrain/cover choices are a must.  Due to this, front line and brawling seem questionable for this tank if you're not with a group.  Trading shots is OK, but tanker skill really comes into play in this scenario.
    • The 105mm on the 7/1 and FV4202 reloads twice as slow.  I'd suspect this means that what I just said about the 20lb is amplified on the 105mm.
    • Your thoughts on best-practices for both gun types please.
  2. If my reticle tells me the shot is good, 99% of the time it's correct and I'll pen (RNG quirks aside).  For some reason, that has not been true on the T25/2 American tank destroyer.  For frontal shots and using standard ammo, I pretty much don't pen that fella.  This goes against what my reticle tells me and what the pen models indicate.  It surprises me every time; I'm learning.  Does this gun behavior continue with the 105mm (for the 7/1 and the FV4202), or does it do what it says it will do?
  3. Camo and Spotting:
    • I seem to get surprised by shots from nowhere more than I'd expect.  It seems like TDs are the culprits.  I realize the Centurion mk. 1 does not have amazing camo ratings, and certainly much less than it's predecessors.  But I do use the camo skill and camo customization.  The only additional thing I could do is add the camo net for when I'm stationary.  This is a surprising weak point for this tank, though frankly I don't see the mk. 1 as a sit-still sniper anyway.  Is the answer to this issue to just keep moving more?
    • The tank seems like it should have great spotting capabilities.  It's solid to be sure, though in practice it doesn't seem as good as I expected for a tank with a 400m rating.  I use binocs for those stationary moments, but I think that will change now that I have the fully upgraded gun and therefor can now get into more of an active role instead of a stay-back sniper role.
    • From what I can tell, players seem to favor equipment that supports run-n-gun techniques rather than camo or sight-enhancing equipment.  In order, here are the most commonly used equipment for Unicums (according to vbaddict.net):  Medium-Caliber Tank Gun Rammer  (84.3%), Vertical Stabilizer Mk 1  (62.5%), Improved Ventilation Class 2  (50.9%), and Coated Optics  (34.9%).  Per the coated optics, clearly some players think this tank needs some sighting enhancement, and only 1.8% think a camo net is a good fit... which means it's not.  Your thoughts on camo, sighting and equipment please?
  4. The armor / health combination is pretty useful.  However, you can definitely get penned more than I'd prefer by higher tiers, so this is where the tank's characteristics seem contrary to a run-n-gun technique.  How do you balance this weakness with the tank's (apparent / assumed) intended purpose?
  5. What other best-practices can you offer?

Characterizing the three mediums:

• Centurion mk. 1:  I think this tank can work a hill as part of a team, but not hold a hill on it's own.  I think this tank needs distance and can be unforgiving if you don't pre-plan a clean escape route.  It seems solid for OpFor harassment and some spotting.  You can definitely stay in one place too long.  Please let me know what you think.  This is a strong tank to be sure, though I'm finding it has just enough shortcomings to be clearly characterized.  I'm not complaining... I just haven't decided how to best use it yet.
  • Centurion 7/1:  I've heard some say this is a strong enough tank to hold a hill.  True?  How does it do in city maps?  Good enough to hold a corner against higher tier armor?
  • FV4202:  I want to want this one, though I'm not sure.  I've read that this one can work a hill / corner with a team, but that it can't hold a hill the way the 7/1 can due to poor turret armor.  In every other way, this seems to be a clear upgrade to the 7/1.  True?  Thoughts?  Get one when the time comes?

Thanks in advance for all your input fellow tankers!

Git gud here:  bit.ly/tankguide (I should read this).  On Track list.

8000 is better than 11090 - shaunw2010

NukaColaLlama #2 Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 11682 battles

Centurion 1 = Holding a hill until the OpFor realizes theyr\'re better off bumrushing you (about 60-120 seconds)

Centurion 7/1 = Holding the hill as long as you want because it's your tea party and you own this [edited]

FV4202 = Holding a hill as long as your hit points and/or your enemies accuracy allow it.

ItsTheMyth #3 Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 9026 battles

View PostButtCheekLlama, on 10 July 2014 - 02:21 AM, said:

Centurion 1 = Holding a hill until the OpFor realizes theyr\'re better off bumrushing you (about 60-120 seconds)

Centurion 7/1 = Holding the hill as long as you want because it's your tea party and you own this [edited]

FV4202 = Holding a hill as long as your hit points and/or your enemies accuracy allow it.

This sums it up pretty good. May I add

Chieftain- Become the hill

Nuke2099 #4 Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23956 battles
  • [KMD]
The FV4202 isn't even a clear upgrade btw...its the worst tier 10 medium (according to the PC community) and the 7/1 is just fine....the FV is a trophy and nothing more and the slight stat increases don't make it worth it for the experience and cost to obtain one. Same thing goes for all British tier 10's apart from the 183 but even that is gimmicky.
lQqtvt1.gif

LiveSea72 #5 Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17841 battles
Ive done very well in the mk 1 doing over 2,500 damage many times just sit where they can only shoot your turret and you can last awhile or flank and shoot you have enough speed most tanks cant turn with you and the 20pdr is a nice gun if the fire rate is a little low. I sold my 25/2 could not pen anything more than a tier above me and was penned by everything. the 7/1 I know people run the 20 over the 105 cause of the dpm is a bit better.

nighttrain123 #6 Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:04 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11460 battles

View PostLiveSea72, on 10 July 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

I know people run the 20 over the 105 cause of the dpm is a bit better.

If you are mad yes. ;)

WidowMaker1711 #7 Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11837 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostButtCheekLlama, on 10 July 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

Centurion holding the Golan Heights since 1967

For Russ and the Allfather

TangoLit #8 Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29362 battles
  • [BANE]

View PostWidowMaker1711, on 10 July 2014 - 08:08 AM, said:

Centurion holding the Golan Heights since 1967

Too true.  Good history.

TangoLit #9 Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29362 battles
  • [BANE]

View PostButtCheekLlama, on 10 July 2014 - 03:21 AM, said:

Looks like this is the universal answer.  Thanks and +1 to you.  I love your answer to the Centurion 1... I have a theory some people initially see it as a 7/1 and run away a little at first until they figure out you're a little more susceptible.  Funny.

Zx BeN xZ #10 Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 5182 battles

View PostButtCheekLlama, on 10 July 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

that made me laugh alot "its your tea party". well said

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users