Frogman's Guide to Silver in World of Tanks

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

BadDad61 #61 Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:22 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 27885 battles

Great Post,

Thanks for the info, it will be very helpful for me.

I have a couple of questions I couldn't find in the post.

1) Do you earn silver for killing an enemy tank?

2) Do you earn any silver for surviving the match? (Besides the lower repair cost)

3) Does distance traveled help at all?

4) Do you earn the same silver for damage done compared to spotted or tracked damage?

Once again thanks :)

DarkVenator #62 Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:42 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 34907 battles
  • [DP]

Silly question: when you sell the tank, does all the munitions get sold along with the tank and packages, or do they get put into reserves (like consumables). I changed the load out on a couple of tanks just before selling them and the silver value did change, but seemed to be a reduced rate. Are munitions 50% of their purchase price also?

Just did a quick check and adding a 4,800 silver shell gave a 1,900 silver higher selling price. Almost 40% of the shell costs. Sound right? (tested on a T32 Tier 8 Heavy)

Edited by DarkVenator, 03 January 2015 - 09:58 PM.

'Everybody has a plan until they are punched in the face' - Mike Tyson

Pit Friend #63 Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:58 PM

Major

• Players
  • 33360 battles
  • [PTATO]

View PostDarkVenator, on 03 January 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

Silly question: when you sell the tank, does all the munitions get sold along with the tank and packages, or do they get put into reserves (like consumables). I changed the load out on a couple of tanks just before selling them and the silver value did change, but seemed to be a reduced rate. Are munitions 50% of their purchase price also?

They get sold at half price. So if you're worried about stuff like that before you sell it turn off auto replenishment and go nuts shooting things. 

When the nice guy loses his patience the devil shivers. 

JuiceEFruit #64 Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:06 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9209 battles

How much more silver should you earn with Premium vs non-premium?   

I thought it was like 1.5 times?

Reason for askings:  Just played a match that was a victory.   I don't currently have Premium.   Non-premium earnings were 187 Silver, 1402XP (with the x2).    But Premium earnings say they would have been 10,473 Silver, and 2102XP.   Okay, I get the XP...that's 1.5x.   But how is the Silver that much more?   Is that normal?   I don't recall the differences being that much...not to go from 187 to over 10k.  

JoeDaFrogman #65 Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:31 AM

Major

• Players
  • 17911 battles

View PostJuiceEFruit, on 04 January 2015 - 02:06 AM, said:

How much more silver should you earn with Premium vs non-premium?   

I thought it was like 1.5 times?

Reason for askings:  Just played a match that was a victory.   I don't currently have Premium.   Non-premium earnings were 187 Silver, 1402XP (with the x2).    But Premium earnings say they would have been 10,473 Silver, and 2102XP.   Okay, I get the XP...that's 1.5x.   But how is the Silver that much more?   Is that normal?   I don't recall the differences being that much...not to go from 187 to over 10k.  

Correct.   Premium time increases the both XP and Silver earned by 1.5 times.  

As for the discrepancy, remember that premium affects only the EARNINGS part of the equation.   Ammo and repair bills for the match are static based on what was used.  What is earned (GROSS) is applied by the premium multiplier.   Then you subtract the expenses to get the NET.  There is even a slide deck on the loading screen that says the very same thing.

JoeDaFrogman #66 Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:36 AM

Major

• Players
  • 17911 battles

View PostPit Friend, on 03 January 2015 - 04:58 PM, said:

They get sold at half price. So if you're worried about stuff like that before you sell it turn off auto replenishment and go nuts shooting things. 

Actually, from everything I have seen, they go into reserve and are NOT sold.  The cost of the vehicle upon selling is exactly half the purchase price(so everyone be careful when there is a sale going on and make sure you are ok with losing a lot more than normal)

View PostDarkVenator, on 03 January 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

Just did a quick check and adding a 4,800 silver shell gave a 1,900 silver higher selling price. Almost 40% of the shell costs. Sound right? (tested on a T32 Tier 8 Heavy)

Just remember that equipment does NOT increase the sale price of a tank and you should always sale these separately FIRST.   If you have gold to demount, this is your ultimate money saver as you sell tanks you will no longer use.    If not, I would highly suggest not using complex equipment, though the training missions give you a decent amount of gold to start with and if you have no means to purchase more easily, I would use equipment demounting for this single reason vs any other expenditures of gold.

YouTube

Twitch.tv

Want to win more?  Learn to count!™

Shadow puppets are illogical, inflexible, and totalitarian.   Most people don't know this because the shadow puppets live in the shadows meddling in others lives usually without reason.   Even worse, they are hypocrites who allow no dissension to their tactics.

SlummyZeru #67 Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:42 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10544 battles
  • [KMD]
alot of info in guide seems like common sense and is something more peeps should know of but still good guide  ;)

o.o

leova #68 Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:52 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11329 battles
  • [47R]

Block Quote

Actually, from everything I have seen, they go into reserve and are NOT sold.  The cost of the vehicle upon selling is exactly half the purchase price(so everyone be careful when there is a sale going on and make sure you are ok with losing a lot more than normal)

I actually did tests on this myself a few days ago with the T1 Cunningham, a tank that costs 0 to buy/sell. It cost more with each package (expected, we know these sell for 1/2) but also more when I put ammo on (If I put on 1k of ammo it returned 500 more on selling)

So now we know that Ammo does, in fact, get sold at 1/2 off along with Packages :)

JoeDaFrogman #69 Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:06 AM

Major

• Players
  • 17911 battles

View PostBadDad61, on 29 December 2014 - 01:22 PM, said:

Great Post,

Thanks for the info, it will be very helpful for me.

I have a couple of questions I couldn't find in the post.

1) Do you earn silver for killing an enemy tank?

2) Do you earn any silver for surviving the match? (Besides the lower repair cost)

3) Does distance traveled help at all?

4) Do you earn the same silver for damage done compared to spotted or tracked damage?

Once again thanks :)

For your first two questions, there is a Chart SOMEWHERE, but I can't find it at the moment that shows in detail actions the earn XP and Silver, though not exact formulas(because they are complicated formulas).   I BELIEVE the answers are no and yes, but not 100% sure on those.

For the third question, distance traveled has no impact at all on Silver generation other than the fact that if you stay in the base, you are less likely to encounter enough tanks to shoot that you will make a good deal of silver consistently and in some games you may see nothing at all.   On the other hand, you would incur no expenses.   Your goal should be to steadily advance with other tanks, fighting skirmishes and then move to the next skirmish, capping the base in situation where the it make sense to do so.   

For question number for, I have no idea.   Perhaps an admin can answer that question.  I am sure that the chart mentions assist damage, but the exact mechanic is a bit wonky.   For example, there can be multiple spotters who share half of the XP earned.  However, there can only be one, perhaps two that shard tracking damage(assuming one per track = max of 2, but I suspect that it's only the first active tracking gets the XP).   

YouTube

Twitch.tv

Shadow puppets are illogical, inflexible, and totalitarian.   Most people don't know this because the shadow puppets live in the shadows meddling in others lives usually without reason.   Even worse, they are hypocrites who allow no dissension to their tactics.

JoeDaFrogman #70 Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:10 AM

Major

• Players
  • 17911 battles

View Postleova, on 04 January 2015 - 03:52 AM, said:

I actually did tests on this myself a few days ago with the T1 Cunningham, a tank that costs 0 to buy/sell. It cost more with each package (expected, we know these sell for 1/2) but also more when I put ammo on (If I put on 1k of ammo it returned 500 more on selling)

So now we know that Ammo does, in fact, get sold at 1/2 off along with Packages :)

I find that a bit odd... if that's the case, then why when buying back the tank(let's ignore for a second the pros/cons of buy/sell the same tank!) does it have ammo loadout as when sold AND the tank cost the same?   Also, this seems to go against statements I had seen some WGA employees make on the subject.     

I think I will play with this next time I get onto the super test server and get a 100% answer and raise the issue to the developers to ensure accurate mechanics as it goes against what WG has told us.

YouTube

Twitch.tv

Rusten2010 #71 Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:20 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 9412 battles

View PostJoeDaFrogman, on 04 January 2015 - 09:10 AM, said:

I find that a bit odd... if that's the case, then why when buying back the tank(let's ignore for a second the pros/cons of buy/sell the same tank!) does it have ammo loadout as when sold AND the tank cost the same?   Also, this seems to go against statements I had seen some WGA employees make on the subject.     

I think I will play with this next time I get onto the super test server and get a 100% answer and raise the issue to the developers to ensure accurate mechanics as it goes against what WG has told us.

From my own experience, the ammo is kept.    When I bought the Patton there was still APCR for the short 90mm sitting in reserve from when I was grinding the persh.   

PS I was on your team tonight when you smoked 7 reds in Westfield.    Nice work.  

JoeDaFrogman #72 Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:35 AM

Major

• Players
  • 17911 battles

View PostRusten2010, on 04 January 2015 - 04:20 AM, said:

PS I was on your team tonight when you smoked 7 reds in Westfield.    Nice work.  

LOL... yea dude, that was a great game for me.  Funny thing is, I was sweating bullets the entire game as that was a crew without Sixth Sense yet(in training first skill) and I am so incredibly reliant on it.   I finished the game and was shocked I had a Top Gun, much less a Devastator.   Though i was a steal killing little biach in that match, I did manage to pull down 4.1 k damage.   

It really sucks that there are almost no French premiums with which to train crews at a quick rate.  One of the main reasons I am slow to adopt French tanks(I like to be able to keep tanks I like playing and I know there are several French tank I would likely want to keep, but only 1 good crew and 1 in development).   The Pak 40 is slow(some maps suck as you can't get to the fight) and the FCM 50 t has very light armor(more of a GIANT medium!)

YouTube

Twitch.tv

Rusten2010 #73 Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:23 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 9412 battles

View PostJoeDaFrogman, on 04 January 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:

LOL... yea dude, that was a great game for me.  Funny thing is, I was sweating bullets the entire game as that was a crew without Sixth Sense yet(in training first skill) and I am so incredibly reliant on it.   I finished the game and was shocked I had a Top Gun, much less a Devastator.   Though i was a steal killing little biach in that match, I did manage to pull down 4.1 k damage.   

It really sucks that there are almost no French premiums with which to train crews at a quick rate.  One of the main reasons I am slow to adopt French tanks(I like to be able to keep tanks I like playing and I know there are several French tank I would likely want to keep, but only 1 good crew and 1 in development).   The Pak 40 is slow(some maps suck as you can't get to the fight) and the FCM 50 t has very light armor(more of a GIANT medium!)

God I hate not having SS.  Yeah I'm thinking about picking up the 50t eventually to get a crew with decent perks and skills built up and silver.   

DarkVenator #74 Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:47 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 34907 battles
  • [DP]

View Postleova, on 04 January 2015 - 01:52 AM, said:

Thanks Leova! Good to know, I've only recently been putting premium ammo on my tanks and wondered if the money was going into the void when I sell the tank.

Cheers!

'Everybody has a plan until they are punched in the face' - Mike Tyson

Knobchuck #75 Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:04 PM

Major

• Players
  • 16350 battles
  • [SKYTT]

View Postpowpowpow3, on 08 August 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

One thing that I do is before I sell a tank, I turn off the consumables and the AMMO resupply, play enough games to use most of the supply in order to net a bit more silver in those games.  Then I sell.

Me too.  Sometimes i do 2-3 battles to drain the ammo depending on the tank.

Knobchuck #76 Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:05 PM

Major

• Players
  • 16350 battles
  • [SKYTT]
If you are limited on playing time i can recommend suicide if 7 vs 1.  Get 1-2 hits in and go to the next battle.  

Knobchuck #77 Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:09 PM

Major

• Players
  • 16350 battles
  • [SKYTT]

View PostJoeDaFrogman, on 04 January 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

Just remember that equipment does NOT increase the sale price of a tank and you should always sale these separately FIRST.   If you have gold to demount, this is your ultimate money saver as you sell tanks you will no longer use.    If not, I would highly suggest not using complex equipment, though the training missions give you a decent amount of gold to start with and if you have no means to purchase more easily, I would use equipment demounting for this single reason vs any other expenditures of gold.

They go into reserve.  Ive gotten into a new tank for the first time and had premium shells available for free from my reserves.

Bob4Scott #78 Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:37 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11560 battles
  • [KRAKN]
nice thread

Im still ready to Platoon with tier V up to tier IX i also have tanks tier I-V in my garage. I Play on NA-East from rushhour to midnight (servertime) mostly. I use a headset but dont need to talk much but tactical. I would never become a unicum. i grind stock tanks sometimes and want fun, buddies and win more battles. Feel free to add me/send pm in forum or in xboxlive.

KLR 420 #79 Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:53 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 56063 battles

Dear Frogman,

Just got through most of your topic and I wish to congratulate you on a job well done! Still reading through it but it has answered a few questions that I had but was too lazy to research. Doh! Thanks for your impressive effort sir.

Peace and Happy Tanking!         :popcorn:

JoeDaFrogman #80 Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:15 PM

Major

• Players
  • 17911 battles
Bump for freshness.   This is information I feel many could benefit from, especially those who are semi new to the game.   I still platoon with people frequently who are "Silver challenged".   As well, I get a few people who happen to watch my stream see the amount of Silver I have go nuts(33 m), so I try to point them here.   I am glad this has helped as many people as it has and hopefully, others continue to benefit from the information for years to come.

YouTube

Twitch.tv

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users