tanks guide how to Community Generated

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Acysbib #21 Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]

Considering last night I banged this out on my laptop in about an hour... No formatting adjustment.. Just watching Trek and making a guide. I love writing, it has always been a passion of mine. When I write about something I really care about, I can write for hours and hours. Hopefully I didn't miss too much that I wanted to add to the basic guide... I know I will be going over it today to make some formatting changes (Make the sections stand out a little more, clean up the wording. Try to add examples, that kind of thing.)

Apparently someone neg voted me for my comment of "Was kinda hoping for a pin..."

Not sure WHY... But whatevs... I AM kinda hoping for a pin, if only so I don't have to hunt it down, either in my content or through the forum pages.

If this guide gets as comprehensive as I want to make it, I'm sure EVERYONE would like a pin in it... So... Whoever neg'd me... Why?

Don't get me wrong, I know it's kinda fruitless to go, "Please pin my thread," But, if this gets enough attention, it might just get that way.

[EDIT] Modified my first post to have some formatting. Will refine later. [/EDIT]

Edited by Acysbib, 10 August 2014 - 02:26 PM.

Here's a LINKY to my General tanking guide. Feel free to take a look.

Acysbib #22 Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]

View PostMonkey25Man25, on 09 August 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

Curious about something. When I'm in a tank I know can take some hits...  Wait, let me say it this way, when I'm in my Jumbo, I know what angle I can be at to look around corners and not get many pens. My problem is finding the weak spot on the enemy tank while I'm getting hit, especially if there are two (or more) enemies around the corner. I usually go for the weakest, but with reload times and the unpredictable nature of the derp, it's really hard to make the same shot at the same weak spot or any of the others, especially if they are in a good spot too.  How do you guys handle these situations? Move on? Keep trying? This is maybe my biggest problem, I'm not sure when to quit.

When you are running Howitzers, you have to remember... Since the rounds typically come top down (If at over 250 meters) they go through weaker armor or drop down onto the angles, making them penetrate easier. BUT high explosive rounds have VERY little penetration. They rely mostly on the very high damage and the splash quality.

Here's how high explosives work.

When you fire a high explosive the round travels at your opponent, and when the round hits, it runs the regular calculation of if it will bounce... If it doesn't the round instantly explodes. It applies its penetration over its entire splash radius, with diminishing returns the further out from the epicenter.

The radius looks for the weakest point in the radius, and deals whatever penetration it has at that point in regards to the distance from the center. If the penetration isn't enough to get through that weak spot, the damage then eats through the remaining thickness. At a rate of something like 3-4 damage per mm. So, the thicker the armor you have to get through the less damage you will deal.

With howitzers you have to remember they do MAX damage to weak armor... (If you can nail a weak spot and you can penetrate it fully, it deals MASSIVE damage... Most howitzers need great range so the round will drop down on top armor. Top armor is by default weaker than anything else. If a tank says that it has like 250mm of frontal armor it likely only has about 50mm of top armor. SO, if you can time the shot and blast someone from 300meter or more you should do massive damage. If you are CLOSER than 300 meters, don't expect to do a lot of damage unless you plow a round into the flank of your opponent. Not saying it's impossible... Just unlikely.

Acysbib #23 Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]
Changed the title. Hope it doesn't confuse too many people. Something told me the title "General Acysbib's General Guide to Tanking" Was a little pretentious... And I would rather not be "THAT" guy... So, I changed it to just "A Comprehensive Guide to Tanking" I wanted to do "A Community Generated Guide to Tanking" Which I may change the title to if I had more people helping to construct it.

Acysbib #24 Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]

No community input? Was I really that thorough?

I didn't think I was that good...

Acysbib #25 Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]

I know I mentioned it earlier... So I thought I would display some diagrams I found while perusing the European forums...

Here are some classic defensive strategies for buildings/rocks They come pre loaded with pro's and cons. So use these whenever the pros outweigh the cons. Only experience can tell you when this will be.

Okay, after those three pictures, I'm sure you will agree that sidescraping (Showing only your side really) is by far better than any other method of hiding behind a building. Be sure you are ready to RUN if you need to, because it is not flawless, it's just better than poking around the rock/building.

Many many thanks to the artists, I wish I could pull up who they were, as I would mention them in the post directly if I could have.

In hopes of possibly staving off future debates as to "WHY DID MY ROUND BOUNCE, I Checked their armor, and it's such and such millimeters less than my minimum penetration!

That's just 100 mm at 60degrees. And AT 60 degrees with 200 mm if you were shooting and had 250mm of penetration, 60 degrees is likely more than enough to force your round to bounce anyway. 

Keep in mind the angle of the armor (The natural slope or the slope they force on your tank) will make your round more likely to bounce. You have to make SURE your round hits a flat armor plate before complaining about bouncing

On top of all that, I would like to add things like Mantlets and Spaced armor, and Treads will eat shells for no damage. Take your time, plan your shot. Try to keep in mind how fast your shell travels and the distance from the enemy tank. You can pop those awesome rounds through buildings or at great ranges on moving targets, it just takes practice, and when you master that, you can tear up any fleeing tank... Even me.

Edited by Acysbib, 16 August 2014 - 09:35 PM.

vampyrii #26 Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:12 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9714 battles

View PostAcysbib, on 10 August 2014 - 06:29 AM, said:

I was kinda hoping for a pin...

Wrong forum. The thread should be moved to Newcomer's Forum and if pinned, pinned there. GJ.

Acysbib #27 Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:17 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]

It's not just for newcomers, though. I intend to have plenty of info in here for newbies and advanced gamers alike. I do not intend newbs to read the whole thing and understand it all.. But to get some of it, play a few rounds, read some more, get to tier IV then take the lessons to heart.

This wasn't intended JUST for THEM...

I wanted enough info in here to quell the tide of.. "Why did this happen..." and "Why did this guy beat me..." and all that jazz.

This was meant to be as informative as possible to make as many people as possible average to above average players... I want some better enemies and some better team mates.

vampyrii #28 Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9714 battles

View PostAcysbib, on 11 August 2014 - 02:17 AM, said:

It's not just for newcomers, though. I intend to have plenty of info in here for newbies and advanced gamers alike. I do not intend newbs to read the whole thing and understand it all.. But to get some of it, play a few rounds, read some more, get to tier IV then take the lessons to heart.

This wasn't intended JUST for THEM...

I wanted enough info in here to quell the tide of.. "Why did this happen..." and "Why did this guy beat me..." and all that jazz.

This was meant to be as informative as possible to make as many people as possible average to above average players... I want some better enemies and some better team mates.

Then it should be moved to Tank Academy. Anyway, "General Discussion" is not for this thread. Otherwise all forum sections should be shutdown and leave only this one. Again, GJ. :)

Acysbib #29 Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]
I leave it open to forum moderators to move it, should they deem it necessary. Or I would happily copy/paste the important content over there as soon as the thread gets enough.

xl Blest lx #30 Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:56 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7670 battles
good guide for people. Would defo like see how you play scout tanks in a couple games see if I can pick up some tips from it. I'm pretty good a spotting but the spotting when hills are involved don't seem to get you spot damage points. Even if your the 1 spotting them

[ WAR ]

www.wearewar.enjin.com

Acysbib #31 Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:07 AM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]
Spotting mechanics are a little... Goofy... Because you might have the view range to break through someone's camo, but if someone has a longer view range period, and it's in their bubble, it might switch spotted designation to that person. Remember, the only sure fire way to make sure you are the one spotting the target, is if you still have total line of sight, from first moment spotted til the moment the shell came in, and your view range calculation puts your coeficient higher than anyone else who's view range could theoretically see them. I know, I know, it's probably something that makes the mechanics work so that someone is spotting them or something, I'm not sure what it is exactly. But I'll get spotted hits for no reason some times.

Sambone617 #32 Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:28 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4782 battles

Very nice. 1 thing is in some of the parts u use game mechanics wouldnt undestand I.E natural camos view ranges but these r far andfew between. Once again very nice

Add me on xbox Sambone617

Dont be fooled I know what im doing

Sambone617 #33 Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:30 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4782 battles
Also troll votes r trolling

Add me on xbox Sambone617

Dont be fooled I know what im doing

Acysbib #34 Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]

I'm not finished yet. It's still a working progress... I only made this thread two days ago...

I was HOPING for some community input, so this could be a communal guide, but I can keep it my own little thing.

I'll get into the hardcore details and mechanics of the game in the advanced section... Or I'll revamp the whole thread when I repost it.

Haven't decided yet... Like I said... The thread is still evolving.

HBFT WGA #35 Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 289 battles
Moved to "Tank Academy" and pinned!  Great job!  I look forward to seeing how this guide will evolve. :)

Acysbib #36 Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]

Been a while since anyone said anything... I've got a link in my sig... But this thread doesn't seem to get any attention out in this forum...

How am I supposed to stop people from posting useless threads that I answer here, if they don't know it exists...

Arrggh.. I will try to be more active elsewhere to direct them here.

Acysbib #37 Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]
Adding a link to an analyzer in my beginning posts to help people out a little more. (Myself included...)

Acysbib #38 Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]
Added a camo Calculator to the Third post... Second to last line.  It's pretty comprehensive... Don't know how truly accurate it is... But it SEEMS accurate enough. You can use it to toy around with your current tank or you wishlist, see what combination of equipments you can give up or have for whatever spotting range/camo factor you are attempting to achieve.

airngineer #39 Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 18528 battles

Great guide.  Something I didn't learn until 1/3 of the way through the M12 is that arty should only use HE rounds and not AP.  I searched a LOT for more info on that but it's not widely discussed.

Another post I see often enough that it still surprises me is the use of sniper mode.

I also just learned after several thousand games that you can hold the right bumper and look around without your tank turning.

Finally, there is a lot of confusion about auto-aim and aim assist.  I use the former a lot and it can really be a boon, especially in city maps when corner peeking.  Also a great help to a quickly align your gun on targets while moving across open maps or playing peek-a-boom.

Air

I know I'm not that good but give me a break, I'm old enough to be your grandfather.
Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight he'll just kill you.

TangoLit #40 Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:24 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29342 battles
  • [BANE]

View PostAcysbib, on 21 August 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

-snip-

Great guide.  I learned something.  I'm sure others will too.  Thanks!

Git gud here:  bit.ly/tankguide (I should read this).  On Track list.

8000 is better than 11090 - shaunw2010

Also tagged with tanks, guide, how to, Community, Generated

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users