tanks guide how to Community Generated

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

MashdTaytuz #41 Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 2188 battles

View Postairngineer, on 26 August 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

Great guide.  Something I didn't learn until 1/3 of the way through the M12 is that arty should only use HE rounds and not AP.  I searched a LOT for more info on that but it's not widely discussed.

Another post I see often enough that it still surprises me is the use of sniper mode.

I also just learned after several thousand games that you can hold the right bumper and look around without your tank turning.

Finally, there is a lot of confusion about auto-aim and aim assist.  I use the former a lot and it can really be a boon, especially in city maps when corner peeking.  Also a great help to a quickly align your gun on targets while moving across open maps or playing peek-a-boom.

Air

AP rounds can be useful for artillery, but with the chance to bounce a shot and the long reload times, HE rounds should be preferred. Some splash damage is always better than a bounced shot.

Leela: You know, Zapp, someone ought to teach you a lesson.

Captain Zapp Brannigan: If it's a lesson in love, watch out. I suffer from a very sexy learning disability. What did I call it, Kiff? 

Kif Kroker: Ugh... sexlexia. 

MashdTaytuz #42 Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 2188 battles

I forgot to add that it's okay to keep a few rounds of AP on hand for those times that you know you've got a red coming at you, and you have time to get one loaded. People here on the forums will call it "shotgunning," the proper term for artillery pieces however would be to call it a "direct fire mission."

Captain Zapp Brannigan: If it's a lesson in love, watch out. I suffer from a very sexy learning disability. What did I call it, Kiff? 

airngineer #43 Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 18528 battles

View PostMashdTaytuz, on 27 August 2014 - 05:16 AM, said:

I forgot to add that it's okay to keep a few rounds of AP on hand for those times that you know you've got a red coming at you, and you have time to get one loaded. People here on the forums will call it "shotgunning," the proper term for artillery pieces however would be to call it a "direct fire mission."

I'll toss one in just in case.  It's a blast to "direct fire" an over zealous tanker who thinks he/she has an arty kill in the bag.  Did two on a Fisherman map last week.  One a wounded IS who charged straight at me over a grassy knoll.  Probably had his finger on the trigger when he went boom!

Air

I know I'm not that good but give me a break, I'm old enough to be your grandfather.
Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight he'll just kill you.

TangoLit #44 Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29342 battles
  • [BANE]

View PostAcysbib, on 10 August 2014 - 07:17 AM, said:

-snip-

Please check your PM.  I sent you a series of related questions.  Thanks.

Git gud here:  bit.ly/tankguide (I should read this).  On Track list.

8000 is better than 11090 - shaunw2010

Acysbib #45 Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]

TangoLit, on 26 August 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

I read through your guide. It's great. Keep up the good work.

I have a question about the maps that I have yet to see referenced anywhere. I've been looking for a while. You seemed like you might know so here it goes...

SCENARIO: I used the Camo Calculator link from your post to set up a two tank match-up. I'm in my Hellcat and Opfor is in a VK 30.01 (H). I have them both set up the way they are actually set up on my account. I'm assuming no bushes.

I want to be able to know that I can shoot, but also know that I won't be detected while shooting. I know that if the VK is sitting still, I can see him at 405.42m. If I'm shooting, I know OpFor can see me as far away as 328.44m. To me, that means I have 76.98m of "leeway" where I can move around, shoot and still not be detected.

FIRST QUESTION: Did I get that "move around, shoot and still not be detected" part correct?

SECOND QUESTION: Generally, how do I apply that information in the game to make it useful? I realize I can just move closer and closer to OpFor until I see them. With the Hellcat there's not much risk in that if I'm using binocs. But with other tanks I tend to get myself in trouble if my tank has poor camo performance (I swear the m103 gets spotted through mountains).

LAST QUESTION (for now): Do the grid squares on the map mean anything? For example, is each square 100m? 50m? Is there a way to make those grid squares useful while "in game"?

Many thanks!

Here's a LINKY to my General tanking guide. Feel free to take a look.

Acysbib #46 Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:51 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]

I'll answer your questions in reverse order... as that seems most useful at the moment.

Unfortunately, the maps have differing sizes and as such, the grid stays the same, There is no concrete method... However, if you know the maps size, (Say 500 meters across like Mines the squares are 50M)

With using binocs and a hellcat, you pretty much have to guess where you will be able to spot the enemy without being spotted yourself, sit, wait for binocs to set up, and wait for targets. Since the hellcat is so fast, you should do this in increments. Spot for a while, let your team catch up, move up 20-50 meters stop again, set up, spot, shoot, move. Rinse and repeat. I will urge you to caution, this does not work EVERY time, especially if you are counting camo net as part of your camo.

Moving with detection, like I said, the camo factor can be a little fickle, as it takes only a fraction of a second to kick in the "Not moving" camo factor, and only an inch an hour to screw it up. You gotta make sure you are stationary, and that your controller stick is pointing straight up so it can set up the binocs and camo net if you have one (Or your stationary camo factor, as it won't kick in if your stick is off even enough to not let your tank move)

Hope this helps..

I would like to remind you that the calculators I added are third party, not connected to WG in any way, so the stats are probably not wholly accurate... AND they are for the PC, who knows how accurate it is for the xbox.

I don't know if it's even been updated in a while, as neither of them have the Russian Arty lines...

MashdTaytuz #47 Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:24 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 2188 battles

View Postairngineer, on 27 August 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

I'll toss one in just in case.  It's a blast to "direct fire" an over zealous tanker who thinks he/she has an arty kill in the bag.  Did two on a Fisherman map last week.  One a wounded IS who charged straight at me over a grassy knoll.  Probably had his finger on the trigger when he went boom!

Air

Yeah, with as long as this game has been available, I'm surprised at how many people continue to charge straight at a SPG when attacking. Fine by me though, it's nice not having to adjust my aim before I dispatch them.

StillMatic310 #48 Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:33 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 6269 battles
great post. really enjoyed reading all of it. 

Acysbib #49 Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]

You are quite welcome... Slight revamps coming to the first couple of pages Soontm!

Yes, Soontm

WearingTie56 #50 Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 44105 battles
Thanks for the post, I read it in its entirety. I just started playing this game a couple weeks ago and was the typical noobie running around randomly shooting at people and more often then not getting shot up. Then I started recieving hate mail.....and that caused the wheels to roll in my head, maybe this is more than I imagined?  So now how I play is at the beginning I try to spot the platoons and hang with them, I supply spotting if need be or flanking depending on the situation. But by not being in a platoon and playing single its raises the ante on how you play. If there are no platoons to hang with I watch where the herd is going or try to determine what everybody is thinking in where they go, then I look to see if we have any artillery that need support, then like you I look to the flanks and see where the td's are posted. If everything looks fine then I determine my movement. Of course I am still learning, and at long distances I get a lot of bounced off shots but I cannot control what I hit as I am aiming at a red blob on my screen until I get closer. But thank you, you put things more in perspective for me.

Acysbib #51 Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:23 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]

Just updated the first 4 posts... Quite a bit... actually... I may go through and revamp some more this week... We will see what happens.

And thank you for your comment, welcome to the Forums, and World of Tanks. I certainly hope I can help.

corran2 #52 Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21434 battles

Acysbib might i suggest you mention premium ammo and consumables there correct use and aplication and that you can buy with silver. Also the dbl zoom function ie left trigger plus right thumb stick as both these things ppl new to the game some times fail to see / find out about till they have been playing for a while.

XxDAFFYxxDUCKxX #53 Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:54 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19433 battles
Hey, if you don't mind, throw in my link about the math of WoT. Really good for understanding those steamrolls and the like.

R.I.P. Lucky the cat, (2-24-14) you magnificent bastard.

Click here to learn about the math of WoT!

corran2 #54 Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:55 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21434 battles
opps forgot good post very informative, especialy for new comers +1 good sir.

Acysbib #55 Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:06 AM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]

View PostXxDAFFYxxDUCKxX, on 16 September 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

Hey, if you don't mind, throw in my link about the math of WoT. Really good for understanding those steamrolls and the like.

Posted the link, and made it VERY visible... I want EVERYONE to read it if they can!

Edited by Acysbib, 21 September 2014 - 04:10 AM.

Trynius #56 Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:43 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 42150 battles
A good read.  Nicely done!

CoupledCross9 #57 Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:47 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 7783 battles

I'm a new player with REALLY bad stats, so I hesitate to put this out there.  I've found couple more resources on the forums that are not in your guide.  These have helped me start to get better.  Have a look and see what you think.

World of Tanks Heatmaps  has given me a look at where the main hotspots an each map are.  The maps can be sorted by team or tank type.

It can be found here, http://www.vbaddict.net/heatmaps/

Map Strategy from World of Tanks Guru is helping me learn the maps.  Its also helping me start to see the overall battle as I play it, helping me think strategically.

It can be found here, http://wotguru.com/map-strategy/

Thanks for your post.  It is well done, lots of good info.

Edited by CoupledCross9, 17 October 2014 - 05:35 PM.

Acysbib #58 Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:04 AM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]
Thanks for the addon... After I thoroughly preview it, I'll see about relocating it to the front page.

SM Scorx #59 Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:31 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14370 battles

What skills and perks do you recommend for Artillery?

I'm working my way up the French line & I'll be seriously playing with Tiers 6-10, so I would like to know what would be helpful for me.

I also have the Sexton I and planning to get the Sexton II & M7 Priest.

Un tanque... grrrande!

- Church, Red vs. Blue Episode 19

I would list the tanks in my garage, but my massively growing Tank Division won't allow it.

Acysbib #60 Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:42 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [SMOKN]

Snap Shot helps a little while tracking targets... Smooth ride helps when you have to constantly reloacate...

If you are just plowing rounds down range to try to kill them without moving too much so you don't care about mobility skills, I would recommend Brothers in Arms, to make everything better.

Other than that, Camo is useful to make it take a little longer for the enemies to spot you. Perhaps the signal range boosts so that you can let people know who you are shooting at from further.

Can't really think of anything else that would really help french arty.

Also tagged with tanks, guide, how to, Community, Generated

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users