How to set up Your US Medium (cliff notes)

Guide US Medium Consumables Equipment Crew

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

MrWuvems #1 Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:08 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

Equipment:

First of all, there's no 100% right answer. There are three main popular builds, and a couple of variations. What you choose goes to playstyle.

Gun Rammer - mandatory. Actually, there is a right answer. always use a rammer

Improved Ventilation - one of your best options

Vertical Stabilizer - perfect for shooting while moving and playing peek-a-boo. US mediums generally lose less accuracy from movement, which essentially makes the stabilizer even better.

Coated Optics - If you're in a medium, your job includes spotting. You'll be moving a lot because that's how you stay alive

The most popular builds- aggressive (rammer/stabilizer/vents), scout (rammer/stabilizer/optics), sniper (rammer/vents/optics)

Binoculars - You are not a TD. You should not be sitting still long enough. Use coated optics

Improved Gun Laying Drive - Only really useful at tier 5/6 when using certain guns. US tanks generally don't have bad aim times. The two useful cases are the 6lber, which fires faster than it can aim when you combine a rammer and vents and the 105mm on the Shermans.

Consumables:

!SWITCH ALL PREMIUM CONSUMABLE PRICES TO SILVER BY HITTING THE Y BUTTON!

Carry enough premium ammunition, at the least, to knock out your own tank.

The game generally sets up by default you having too many HE rounds for how useful they are. You really only need 4-5

Note: The 90mm HVAP round will be your bread and butter tier 7 and 8. It's got absurd penetration, beating out anything else used by a medium. Pack extra, and learn how to use them

Med packs and Repair kits are mandatory for all tanks.

Fire Extinguisher is a good, cheap option that can save you. Also mandatory tier 6 and lower. The early tanks catch fire from being hit in the front.

High Octane gas adds horsepower. While it doesn't increase your max speed, it makes you more agile. A good idea for tier 8 and 9, where the Pershing and Patton have some... issues with the engine

Cola is like having another ventilation or Brothers In Arms. Expensive but great.

Use med pack + repair kit + whatever you want in the third slot

Crew Skills:

If you have a decent supply of gold, always train a crew skill and then retrain into the perk you want. That way you get the skill's effect while leveling it (perks have no effect until 100%)

Start with any order of Sixth Sense + Brothers in Arms + Repairs. These are the "big three" of best skills and mediums use them well.

Perks -

Deadeye. Only really worth it for the M7, Lee, Ram 2, E8, and Jumbo (if the latter two use the M1A2 76mm). Long story short, you need fast firing guns to make it worth it.

Preventative Maintenance to help reduce fires. Generally the better option if you don't have vents... or BiA (you should). Better on tanks with frontal transmissions (the Sherman family)

Designated Target. The big specialty of the US line is vision range. You can keep enemies exposed longer with this.

Safe Stowage. Low priority but useful. Better than the wet rack since you can have more than 3 skills

Track Mechanic: You know what's funny, never being tracked. Natural synergies with repair skill.

Silent Driving: Around 10-15 skills in you start wanting to find something that can push the vision war somewhere even sillier. Most people never get to this point.

Skills-

Mentor. Take first or not at all Done the math, you will pretty much never get to the point where Mentor is worth anything

Pain Tolerance: Great, great skill to take at around skill 5-6. Especially when you have a large med pack

Firefighting. Different take on how you want to prevent dying in a fire.

Clutch Braking. Useful, but the line turns well enough on its own. Consider it later than off-road driving.

Off-road Driving. Later tanks in the line start getting big while keeping a good turn rate. Off of pavement, it means this starts looking good.

Jack of All Trades. Good news: people love shooting your hull, which will let through anything, so your commander is generally safe.

Situational Awareness. More view range. Pair with Recon on setups that don't include Coated Optics

Recon. Less view range than the above. Your view port isn't as targeted as other tanks, due to turret setup.

Armorer/Snap Shot/Smooth Ride. Like supercharging your stabilizer (only use with one). Generally a low priority however

Camouflage: Good on the T20, awful on everything else

FifStreet315 #2 Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 15068 battles
  • [-OFF-]
Very nice post.  Thank you.  I just want to add that repair crew skill + large repair kit is a nice combo that ive found useful.  In a similar combo i like jack of all trades + large med kit.  

TheFinalCrash #3 Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19019 battles
I disagree with not using Binocs, well at least on the Super Pershing.  Getting to certain areas fast in the beginning, and only spotting has won me many matches.  That extra range with the binocs really makes the difference.  

pG xHectiK #4 Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:22 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 441 battles
Thanks for this. New to the game and this is going to be super-helpful once I move up to tier IV-V.

FreedomBird66 #5 Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:47 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2713 battles
RE:

Consumables:

!SWITCH ALL PREMIUM CONSUMABLE PRICES TO SILVER BY HITTING THE Y BUTTON!

Thanks for the tip, I did not know you can do this. May help in my grind towards the Chaffee that much easier.

Special thanks to Violet Viper x   for using my idea to create this signature      Locust, M5 Stuart, M4A3E8,T-1, T-14, T-20, T-67, M8A1, Chaffee, Wolverine,Hellcat, Sexton I 

SpartacusDiablo #6 Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19642 battles
  • [BNKR]
This is a great post.  Thank you.

OPG WIZARD NERD #7 Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:06 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 4576 battles
Its sad how much yall depend on gear.Us mediums are just fine.Slap a 90mm and wait mid game = GG

dropkick8744 #8 Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:31 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 8366 battles
I actualy make very good use of eagle ey on any tank and after the big three its the first i get on mediums from all nations

TheFinalCrash #9 Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:15 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19019 battles

View PostOPG WIZARD NERD, on 26 November 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

Its sad how much yall depend on gear.Us mediums are just fine.Slap a 90mm and wait mid game = GG

Lol, you must not run into WT's much then.  They will sit behind bushes with Binocs on, and will OUTSPOT you (yes even a Patton), unless you equip your tank correctly.  You'd have to be a fool not to arm yourself the right way,  

GHOSTpb #10 Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:34 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 41181 battles
  • [NFTG]
If gear is available why not use it? Its a very important aspect of the game. Experience will teach you what equipment works best on what tank. Learn the different perks of the equipment or die like the rest.

Never underestimate your teams ability to lose.

Ghostpb.   ( NFTG )

FBPrime #11 Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:08 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 50316 battles
  • [-L7-]

View PostGHOSTpb, on 29 December 2014 - 09:34 PM, said:

If gear is available why not use it? Its a very important aspect of the game. Experience will teach you what equipment works best on what tank. Learn the different perks of the equipment or die like the rest.

You and your damn tool box.

"The 360 was released in 2005. The Super Nintendo was released in 1991. With the new Gen next year, the 360 will be farther behind the newest console than the Super Nintendo was behind the 360."

GHOSTpb #12 Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:40 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 41181 battles
  • [NFTG]

View PostFBPrime, on 30 December 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

You and your damn tool box.

Haha always works for me if I have the repair perk.

Never underestimate your teams ability to lose.

Ghostpb.   ( NFTG )

LegionKilo #13 Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:45 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 6315 battles

So for my Artillery I use the Camo perk along with the Camo net.  They stack right?

Real men hunt humans  |  Some people will never like me and I will never give a ****.  |  Attention To Detail: Discipline Is Key  |  The Infantry sets the standard for the rest of the Army.

3rd United States Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard): Firing Party Commander: I have buried over 600 soldiers from WWII to present including active duty KIA.  It was the most honorable and difficult assignment I ever had.

VGC MadMacx #14 Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:48 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16927 battles

Nice post - very helpful

I have a question about the interaction of Optics, Sit Aware, and Recon.

You recommend

Situational Awareness. More view range. Pair with Recon on setups that don't include Coated Optics

I have Sixth Sense, BiA, and Repairs on my Jumbo crew with Optics.  I am going to give them Situational Awareness, Recon, and Deadeye.

I am torn to go for the offensive Deadeye or vision buff Situational Awareness first.

I also don't understand why you do not want Optics paired with Situational Awareness and Recon?

rhymeswithN00bs #15 Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:55 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16150 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostTheMEagle, on 10 August 2014 - 07:08 PM, said:

Mentor. Take first or not at all

So it doesn't benefit you to do mentor second or perhaps even later? Or to train mentor, swap to sixth sense, and then re-train mentor? The reason I ask is because I hate playing without sixth sense (I usually train repairs first and swap to sixth sense), but now I'm not sure if I should be training mentor later.

XOXO, Noobius Y

MrWuvems #16 Posted 02 September 2015 - 01:46 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles
Updated, even though Pershing is inferior

radinko245 #17 Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:14 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23007 battles
  • [FILTH]
Do lot camp you are not a TD ... well, I am playing my T20 as passive scout. Binoculars, camo net and gun rammer and I am doing rather well with this setup. Lost of spotting damage and I am able to out spot most of light tanks on red team. Damage per game is quite balanced 1500 direct and 1500 indirect on average per game.

BTW ... Great advice for US meds takers! Thank you

3MoE: Tier IX: Obj. 704, Jagdtiger, STRV-103-0, E50, M46 Patton, M103, Tier VIII:  Ariete Progetto M35 mod. 46, Jagdpanther II, WZ-111-1G FT,  Yazi, ISU-152, Ferdinand, T28 Prototype, VK 45.02A, Stark S1, 112, UDES03, Indien Pz,Charioteer, M26 Pershing, T26E4 Freedom, Pz 58 Mutz, T-32, Primo Victoria, T26E5 Patriot, Lowe, Centurion Mk 1, Tiger II, Panther II Tier VII: VK45.03, IS-2, SU-100M1, T-34-2G FT, ISU-122S, Tiger (P), SU-122-44, Sturer Emil, Tiger I, Tiger 131, Challenger, E-25, VK30.02(D),  IKV 90 B, SU-152, M56-Scorpion, Comet, Panther, T25/2, T20, T25 AT, Jagdpanther, T-29, T-43 Tier VI: WZ-131G FT, Nashorn, HMH T-34-85M, T-34-88, Skoda T-40 Zizka, Firefly, M4A3E8 Sherman, Škoda T 25, SU-100, IKV 65 II, Dicker Max, M36 Jackson, M18 Hellcat, VK30.01D, VK30.01 (P), Pz. Kpfw. IV Schmalturm, Jagdpanzer IV, T34-85, VK 36.01H, VK 30.02M, M6, T-34-85 Rudy, Fury, M4A3E2 Tier V: Pz. Sf. IVc, Archer, Crusader, T-1 Heavy, T67, M10 Wolverine, M4, M7, Pz.Kpfw III/IV, Pz.Kpfw IV H, GuP, SU-85, T-34, Skoda T-24, The Hidden StuG III, StuG III Auf. G, VK 30.01H, Type 3 Chi-Nu-Kai, Ram II, T-34 FG, Matilda IV

Derelictus #18 Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:38 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13671 battles
  • [VGC]

View PostrhymeswithN00bs, on 14 February 2015 - 07:55 PM, said:

So it doesn't benefit you to do mentor second or perhaps even later? Or to train mentor, swap to sixth sense, and then re-train mentor? The reason I ask is because I hate playing without sixth sense (I usually train repairs first and swap to sixth sense), but now I'm not sure if I should be training mentor later.

Answering an old question, but, hey why not...

I usually train Repairs, swap for 6th Sense, retrain Repairs, then train Brothers in Arms. At that point I have a competent crew. Now I'll train Mentor. The bonus helps it train faster, and helps me pick up any future skills/perks faster. I don't notice the lack of it on those first 3 training paths, they go pretty quick if I'm serious about the Crew...

JaggedSine6 #19 Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:11 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15540 battles

View PostTheFinalCrash, on 11 August 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

I disagree with not using Binocs, well at least on the Super Pershing.  Getting to certain areas fast in the beginning, and only spotting has won me many matches.  That extra range with the binocs really makes the difference.  

I was going to say the same thing. If there is one exception to the rule, it's the Super Pershing. It does horrible with shooting on the move no matter what skills and equipment you use. It's too slow to flank and gets flanked itself very easily. So you may as well load it with binocs because you have to come to a complete stop to shoot anyway unless the target is close. And if it's close, your gonna be dead soon anyway as it gets behind you.  It is a fun tank but doesn't fit the medium mold very well.

Stats? We don't need no stinking stats.

Also tagged with Guide, US, Medium, Consumables, Equipment, Crew

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users