Maps: Port and Live Oaks review

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

vampyrii #1 Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

Major

• Supertester
  • 8610 battles

I had the pleasure of playing both maps yesterday and today ( lucky me :) ) and they are both excellent maps.

Live Oaks.

The terrain of the map is plain, filled with marshes: and some of them are not passable. Nevertheless, a tanker would easily find the right way by the color of the soil and presence of trees on it. Eventually, this map is a real paradise for players. It has splendid landscapes, a typical American town, a factory area, a rail way station with the bridges. Although the map has no hills or rocks to cover behind them, there are multiple roughs and combs. It is better to play at high settings to see all the beauties of the map as it even has a marvelous cotton field on it.

Map view

Spoiler

Map suggested strategy.

In the middle of the map, there is a lake, which is quite considerable in its size. In the North-Western part of the map, there is a city and, on the South-Western side, there is a railway bridge. On the map, there are only two directions of attack - through the railway bridge and across the city. The city ensures heavy tanks with protection against artillery fire, whereas the bridge allows for a quick attack, with medium tanks, on the enemy base.

Tactical Map.

Spoiler

• The scouts' task is to spot tanks in the city and on the bridge, to make quick fire, from tank destroyers, possible.
  • The task of the medium tanks is to attack the enemy base through the railway bridge. This attack is based, mainly on sticking out from behind a natural obstacle, taking a shot at the tank highlighted by the scout and hiding again to reload. Medium tanks can also help the squad in the city, but this is recommendable only if you are at an advantage there, and the way through the bridge is well-guarded.
  • Heavy tanks should secure the city, as quickly as possible, where they can hide from artillery fire.
  • TDs should keep left side of the map (as shown above) to be able to hit targets on both the city and the railway.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Port.

Port is an urban map that as the name suggests it includes a port with high buildings and highway bridges. Much cover for tanks, a difficult map for artillery.

*Please note that this map was removed from the PC version due to allegedly advantage in spawning on the south spawn.

Map view

Spoiler

Map suggested strategy.

• Snipers and passive scouts do have very long sight lines available to them from the highways but they will be exceedingly exposed as there aren't any bushes up there. .
  • Artillery is hampered by the same obstacles tanks are here but also have the irritation of not being able to aim in the shadow of bridges. Expect the enemy to take advantage of this frequently.
  • Highly mobile tanks will enjoy quite an advantage in the maze of steel and concrete on the North and South edges but this comes at the expense of snipers and artillery.
  • Heavy brawlers are highly favored here.

Tactical Map.

Spoiler

Usually main fight is done at west part of the map, (C1 to G1) where there are buildings and the highway bridge and is good for heavy brawlers mostly OR very strong TDs. On the contrary the area to the east (G9 to K9) has some good terrain to shoot and cover useful for mediums and weaker armor tanks (like tier IX autoloaders). Arty must support any tanks entering the read area and  the east (G9 to K9) part of the map. This map is not Arty friendly due to many hiding spots and cover.

My threads: Just found the forums? New to WoT? Read me.|| Real world locations for the maps.|| How to find your WN8: Read the OP first.
Map guide for Port and Live Oaks || Must read thread by XxDAFFYxxDUCKxX || Opinion: Tier 3&4 should have PMM.

Garage:
Click here to submit: Xbox Support ticket - PS4 Support ticket.

Rarefication #2 Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 13120 battles
I absolutely love Port.

GodfatherMDB #3 Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 5578 battles
  • [BLT]
I love port. Have not played Live Oaks enough to have a judgement yet.

The BLT (Bacon Loving Tankers)

"Help Help, We Are Being Oppressed"

***** 5 Star GENERAL OF FLASH FRYING

RRP #4 Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9932 battles
Nice review. Now only if I could play one. I have played at least 50 matches since they were added. Not seen them once.

Thought I was an Atheist , till I realized Im a God.

[H] aving [A] nger [T] owards [E] veryone [R] eaching (S) uccess

My Fursona is a White and Blue wolf.

DoggieDaddyDave #5 Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

Major

• Players
  • 7789 battles
I played Live Oaks last night and Port for the first time this morning. I really like them both. On Port this morning we were up 8 tanks to 2 and no one would help me go back to defend the base and we lost the game on a friggin cap.

The thing about Common Sense....It's not that common.

ArtyHarHar #6 Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16842 battles
Port was complicated with the different firing and crossing zones; I only got to play it once so I have a lot to learn on it.  I did pretty good on it going right and shooting East from under the overpass but we lost anyways.

Assassin3Fox #7 Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20435 battles
lol...nice write up Vamp...I would also include that if you happen to find yourself leading the lemming train push the '9-line.'  You will get a whole lot of firepower into the enemy's defensive spots and he will have at most two or three tanks in position with maybee a couple of more trailers...if you can hit it quick enough you can melt a third of their team before they even settle into positions.

GodfatherMDB #8 Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 5578 battles
  • [BLT]
So...can anybody explain how railroad tracks would slow down a 70 ton heavy tank? That's the only perplexing thing I can think about regarding these maps.

The BLT (Bacon Loving Tankers)

"Help Help, We Are Being Oppressed"

***** 5 Star GENERAL OF FLASH FRYING

DoggieDaddyDave #9 Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

Major

• Players
  • 7789 battles

View PostGodfatherMDB, on 13 August 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

So...can anybody explain how railroad tracks would slow down a 70 ton heavy tank? That's the only perplexing thing I can think about regarding these maps.

Not sure but they sure slowed down my KV-1S trying to get back to defend our base.

The thing about Common Sense....It's not that common.

ArtyHarHar #10 Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16842 battles
My Russian TDs hate the railroad tracks if there is more then one of them.  You don't dare take a shot while moving even if you are going slow or else you will be shooting at the moon.  With no gun depression you have to hull down over a track, a track mind you, in order to be able to shoot someone.

billybobs #11 Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13623 battles
  • [-OFF-]
I like port hope it comes round more often

EireUndeadApple #12 Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9307 battles
now if i could just get on those maps......:teethhappy:

TP4 my Boo Boo #13 Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23970 battles
  • [DUMP]
I really dig port. Oaks not so much, the map is kind of linear and can't really be played much differently then it always plays out

Smokin D40 #14 Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 24881 battles
Played Oaks a few times and like it. Played Port-snow in my at7 and LOVED IT. Finally got my ace tanker that game. Seven kills and over 4000 dmg and a further 1000 assist. Kinda biased I guess.

redshadowrider #15 Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

Major

• Players
  • 25014 battles

I got the chance to play both yesterday...and in both cases  we won.  Not due to tactics, just luck.  On Port, I spawned and immediately turned left and was going to swing around the back of a set of rail cars....BOOM..full speed into the red borderline.  I didn't feel too much of an idiot because a TD did the same thing just a couple of seconds later.  The rest of the time in battle, both teams were still trying to find out how to get to each other.  It was a hoot running around trying to get at them only to be stopped by rail cars or buildings.

I think these are both good maps and will be fun to play.

Edited by redshadowrider, 13 August 2014 - 04:22 PM.

I'm just saying.....

Assassin3Fox #16 Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20435 battles

View PostGodfatherMDB, on 13 August 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

lol...believe it or not RR tracks do slow down a tank or any other tracked vehicle in real life unless the concrete apron is built up to level with the top surface of the tracks...it has to do with the way the suspension rides over top of the obstruction and how torsion bar suspension in particular translates horizontal shear/energy into vertical movement...of course if a tank or any other tracked steel box in the 45-70 ton range drove over the exposed track as we do on Himmelsdorf or Port/Ensk etc. the RR tracks would be torn up and destroyed, the wood ties ground to splinters and for most of the tier 10 mediums small pieces of concrete would be flying up in a rooster tail as the road/apron was slowly ground to gravel by the excessive weight and slipping steel tracks...(although some had track pads in the era so the concrete would have been merely crushed)

Wikkid Devil #17 Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7703 battles
I haven't seen the Oaks map yet. Is it tier restricted or something?

YOLO - Because stupid people don't know what Carpe Diem means.

xl Blest lx #18 Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7670 battles
not learned a stat for port yet only played it twice and was againest high tiers all the time. Live oaks love and not lost on it.

[ WAR ]

www.wearewar.enjin.com

dtproof151 #19 Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 17133 battles
  • [TACO]
Port is cool. This little 1C came swooping around to take out the arty on the bridge, but then we secured both end of the bridges before he could escape. I'm happy to say he went out swinging instead of plunging to his death.

Don't worry, dear Pamela, I'll do my scientific best to command your fleet...

vampyrii #20 Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

Major

• Supertester
  • 8610 battles

View PostWikkid Devil, on 13 August 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

I haven't seen the Oaks map yet. Is it tier restricted or something?

No its not. It a matter of luck to get it in the rotation.

My threads: Just found the forums? New to WoT? Read me.|| Real world locations for the maps.|| How to find your WN8: Read the OP first.
Map guide for Port and Live Oaks || Must read thread by XxDAFFYxxDUCKxX || Opinion: Tier 3&4 should have PMM.

Garage:
Click here to submit: Xbox Support ticket - PS4 Support ticket.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users