Tanks from the closed Aberdeen Proving Ground Museum

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

TangyMrScrapple #1 Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 10628 battles
I read that most of the vehicles from the tank museum at APG in Maryland were shipped to Fort Lee, VA by 2012.  The Fort Lee website does not make any indication that they are now on display.  Does anyone know the status of these vehicles?  i grew up within 10 miles of APG and spent many long days wandering the many rows of tanks that we now play with.  it would be great to see them again.

SinistiR #2 Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19347 battles

I would like to know as well. I am under the impression that there are still a small amount on display.  Maybe I can talk my pop into taking a ride down and letting me know what is still there. 

I grew up in Elkton and also had many fun days with my dad walking through the rows of tanks and arty.  I would love to see the Jtiger in person again.  

Wonder how your camo will work, look in here---------->http://www.wotinfo.net/en/camo-calculator

TangyMrScrapple #3 Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:34 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 10628 battles
Oh yes, the Jtiger with the damage to the hull and gun mantlet.  and the decades worth of paint covering everything that got sticky in the summer heat......

UvilleBill #4 Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 18815 battles

I stopped there in May, 2013 on my way back from Baltimore and there were about 20-30 tanks still there-- all outside and in various stages of condition. My profile picture is one of them-- I took a bunch of pictures. I bet they are still there. You'll need some id to get on the base, but it was definitely worth the stop if you are nearby.

If I get some time I'll post some pictures in this thread.

ErwinJA #5 Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 8590 battles
Last I heard (6 months ago), the ones in Fort Lee were still not open to visitors. However, some have been shipped instead to Fort Benning, GA, for the National Armor and Cavalry Museum project, and at least some of those are on display even though the Museum is only in Stage 1 of its 4-stage development plan (estimated completion of stage 4 is 2022).

Mr Crowley ll #6 Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:30 AM

Major

• Players
  • 23951 battles
  • [CRPT]

View PostTangyMrScrapple, on 19 August 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Oh yes, the Jtiger with the damage to the hull and gun mantlet.  and the decades worth of paint covering everything that got sticky in the summer heat......

is that the one where the round hit the base of the cannon and richoted down into the crew?

SinistiR #7 Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:51 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19347 battles
Unfortunatly  there is nothing open to the public for viewing any more.  I wanted to take a trip down today with my dad.  When I called, the fella on the phone told me they are in the process of getting everything ready for the final move down south.

View PostHR Cryo, on 31 August 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

is that the one where the round hit the base of the cannon and richoted down into the crew?

That is the one.
Wonder how your camo will work, look in here---------->http://www.wotinfo.net/en/camo-calculator

Chieftain WGA #8 Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:44 AM

Private

• Players
  • 4 battles

The vehicles are in one of three places.

The stuff that was semi-restored and in overhead cover has been moved to Ft Lee, where they are still under some overhead cover. This includes a number of prototype vehicles. A minority was shipped to Ft Benning to the Armor and Cavalry Museum, and is sitting in the restoration motor pool, under limited cover. A significant portion (arguably the plurality), and including much which was on display in the open field at Aberdeen, was shipped to Anniston Army Depot for long term storage, until they could figure out where to house them.

CorbMeister08 #9 Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:00 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6750 battles
Any new info on this? I've never seen a German tank in person, as I've never had the time or money to make the long trip up to Aberdeen. I am planning a road trip out east in October with my fiancé for our honey moon and finally have the ability to go where I want. I am dying to see those German and Russian tanks that were on display but I cannot find info online regarding where they are or if they are viewable to the public yet

CorbMeister08 #10 Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:02 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6750 battles

View PostChieftain WGA, on 11 November 2014 - 03:44 AM, said:

The vehicles are in one of three places.

The stuff that was semi-restored and in overhead cover has been moved to Ft Lee, where they are still under some overhead cover. This includes a number of prototype vehicles. A minority was shipped to Ft Benning to the Armor and Cavalry Museum, and is sitting in the restoration motor pool, under limited cover. A significant portion (arguably the plurality), and including much which was on display in the open field at Aberdeen, was shipped to Anniston Army Depot for long term storage, until they could figure out where to house them.

Maybe the Chieftain would know?

Chieftain WGA #11 Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:41 PM

Private

• Players
  • 4 battles

View PostCorbMeister08, on 05 September 2015 - 10:00 PM, said:

Any new info on this? I've never seen a German tank in person, as I've never had the time or money to make the long trip up to Aberdeen. I am planning a road trip out east in October with my fiancé for our honey moon and finally have the ability to go where I want. I am dying to see those German and Russian tanks that were on display but I cannot find info online regarding where they are or if they are viewable to the public yet

Bottom line, they're not. Your best bet is to go North of the border and check out the collection in Ottawa.

SimpleWinner215 #12 Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:59 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22255 battles
Excellent questions. Answers are full of helpful information. Thank you all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users