How to set up Your US Heavy (cliff notes)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

MrWuvems #1 Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:22 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

Equipment:

Gun rammer. Mandatory. I know they're expensive, but they're your best option for pretty much all tiers.

Vents - super expensive, but never wrong. Small buffs to everything, especially useful before the vertical stab is available.

Vertical Stabilizer - Generally considered the best option for all tanks that can use it

Coated Optics - Good for the "it plays like a medium" tanks. These are the T1, M6, M103, and the E5 if you don't want a stabilizer on the latter 2.

Binoculars - Oddly effective on the T-29 and T-32. You can just sort of sit there spotting everything using your gun depression and mantlet to hit people and there's nothing they can do about it

CO2 Tanks - yah, US heavies are called "rolling gas cans" for a reason. Don't take this past tier 6 though. There's more useful stuff.

Repair Kit - good on heavies, can be removed for a refund without spending gold. Again, once you hit tier 7 it really stops being something to really spend money on

Consumables:

!SWITCH ALL PREMIUM CONSUMABLE PRICES TO SILVER BY HITTING THE Y BUTTON!

Carry enough premium ammunition, at the least, to knock out your own tank. US heavies have plenty of room for more. You aren't losing out on regular rounds by packing extra APCR

The game generally sets up by default you having too many HE rounds for how useful they are. You really only need 4-5

DO NOT SPAM 105mm HE ROUNDS FROM THE T29. I know it looks like the howitzer from the Sherman. It is not. It has 200pen with AP rounds. People do this, and I don't know why.

Note: The 90mm HVAP round is absurdly good. Use plenty on the M6 and T29

Med packs and Repair kits are mandatory for all tanks.

Fire Extinguisher is a good, cheap option that can save you. It may be a good idea to invest in the automatic version at high tier.

High Octane gas adds horsepower. While it doesn't increase your max speed, it buffs your climb speed and allows you to turn faster. Generally seen as a replacement for the medkit for advanced users due to your turret generally absorbs a lot of damage meant for the important crew. Or a replacement for the fire extinguisher in case you like life on the edge. It is a myth high octane gas increase engine fire chance.

Cola is like having another ventilation or Brothers In Arms. Expensive but great.

Don't be stingy. Advanced Consumables are worth it.

Crew Skills:

If you have a decent supply of gold, always train a crew skill and then retrain into the perk you want. That way you get the skill's effect while leveling it (perks have no effect until 100%)

Start with any order of Sixth Sense + Brothers in Arms + Repairs. These are the "big three" of best skills and heavies use them well.

Skills/Perks-

Mentor. Take first or not at all Do not take mentor. The math doesn't pan out.

Pain Tolerance - YES. YES. Yesssssssssssssss. Laugh as the pitiful fools can't even knock out your crew from the PUNY HE ROUNDS to your INVINCIBLE TURRET. MAHAHAHAHA

Track Mechanic. People like to attempt to keep you tracked. Laugh at them.

Firefighting. ROLLING GAS CANS. You're getting lit on fire from fuel line ruptures more than engine fires, so this is the one you want. Less of an issue tier 8 on,

Clutch Braking. Heavies turn slow. This makes you turn less so.

Off-road Driving. Heavies are also effected by terrain more than other classes.

Jack of All Trades. Debatable. While your turret is strong, shots do still like to find the cupola. Play with the tanks for a while, decide on this later.

Recon. Your main weak point is the cupola, which counts as a view port. So it takes damage.

Situational Awareness. Hey, more vision is more vision.

Armorer/Snap Shot/Smooth Ride. Like supercharging your stabilizer (only use with one). Generally a low priority however. Armorer is the first of the three to take

Safe Stowage. High-hp heavies simply by taking in more shots can wind up taking damage to the ammo rack. This helps you not blow up if it happens twice.

Edited by TheMEagle, 02 September 2015 - 02:02 AM.

I3iggus Nickus #2 Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:54 AM

Major

• Players
  • 34187 battles
  • [ACES]

Pretty sure sixth sense would be the most helpful out of those skills/perks

​Member of the Senior Technical Engineer Club [ACES] Armoured Aces "Louder than God's revolver and twice as shiny"

1: A leap of faith. An unproveable belief in a reality beyond this world. 2: suicide. Escaping a pointless existence. 3: acceptance of an Absurd existence, and the freedom that comes with creating your own meaning.

"He who snipes snipers, runs the risk of becoming the sniper himself. If you gaze into the scope, the scope gazes back"

TangoLit #3 Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:01 AM

Major

• Players
  • 29362 battles
  • [BANE]

View PostTheMEagle, on 24 August 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

-snip-

Thanks for another great set-up tutorial.

Git gud here:  bit.ly/tankguide (I should read this).  On Track list.

8000 is better than 11090 - shaunw2010

MrWuvems #4 Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:26 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

View PostNicholas Sapien, on 24 August 2014 - 10:54 PM, said:

Pretty sure sixth sense would be the most helpful out of those skills/perks

On mediums, maybe.

Heavies though, repairs and it isn't close.

JuiceEFruit #5 Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:37 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9220 battles
Interesting.  I've been killed a lot in my T-29 and T-32, but haven't noticed them catching on fire that much.   Going to try the binocs, though.   Tired of unseen tanks pinging away at me.  

CuttinEJ #6 Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:47 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30284 battles
  • [GF_Y]
Small repair, 1st aid and fire extinguisher. Binoculars, gunrammer and I've tried a few of the others but I generally like a tool box. Helps the repair skill/perk.I NEVER spend gold or silver on premium ammo. I just don't get much benefit from it. Others seem to, but I don't.

Two wrongs don't make a right. But three lefts do!!! 

RuJfBna.jpg

MrWuvems #7 Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:02 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles
The new bolded part makes me sad that it had to be put in.

LOSTVENGENCE96 #8 Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:16 AM

Major

• Players
  • 23971 battles
Rolling gas cans? That's the Russian heavies... But because I've ran out of the really good skills, my t29 is or has trained in fire fighting. And mentor. I thinking I've reached the end line in training my american supercrew. I'm at 12 now and its just taking forever. Granted, I don't get to play as often as I used to. But I'm pretty sure once this 12th one is complete, I'm letting all the xp go to overtraining in case I ever find a us tank worthy of taking Betty's skillful crew. Doubt it though. But just in case.

LacqueredBacon #9 Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:07 PM

Major

• Players
  • 36166 battles

Thoughts on GLD?  Not mentioned.

MrWuvems #10 Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

View PostSlipperyBat3354, on 02 September 2015 - 06:07 AM, said:

Thoughts on GLD?  Not mentioned.

Aim time on US heavies is generally 2.29, while a GLD is only ever really useful for 2.9-3.4 aim times (IE-Russian guns)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users