History world war 2 back to school contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

DamnGunner #41 Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:35 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 22795 battles

View PostGamerPaws, on 07 September 2014 - 01:44 AM, said:

what happened to mankind in 21st century? if u see abused or dead animal- everyone s sad n freaking out but when u hear and see dead people on news everyday from crime or war conflicts and civil wars nobody cares... really weird.

Yeah, TBH, I have no problem with people killing each other. The dog is innocent the same way a child is innocent. Would you strap a bomb to a kid? 

View PostNightFox19, on 07 September 2014 - 01:48 AM, said:

This post was in bad taste. First of all, am I the only one that apparently doesn't know what the story of that dog is? Regardless, service animals have been used in the military for decades. Hell, my grandfather's unit had a service dog that would help them run communication lines. As far as this picture is concerned, I see no form of animal cruelty whatsoever.

Your comments have no place on this forum, and neither does your racism. (says you)

My racism? How do you know I am not Japanese? Did you not see the "slap a Jap" pic posted by another person? How dare you call me racist for pointing it out. You may be the "racist" for not speaking up about it yourself!

Listen folks I do not think the spirit of this project was to slip by taboo pics. How does showing a dog being blown up "honor" anyone? 

View PostRhymeswithN00bs, on 07 September 2014 - 02:56 AM, said:

He probably didn't know the context. I was thinking of doing a dogs of war collage (didn't have time), and came across that same pic. I had no idea it was a doggie suicide bomber. That is very sad, but dogs also served in other capacities in the war and were companions for soldiers who needed comfort. I'm sure Quazakaharet's intention was to pay tribute to dogs who served and not to portray animal cruelty.

"Using digital or physical materials create a collage depicting certain historical moments that occurred during World War 2 or pay homage to the men and women who served / gave their lives during this point in our history."

There are a lot of realities of war which are totally not appropriate. They could use some good sense when choosing  pics. There are still forum rules. This project is no exception. I feel that blatant disrespecting racism("slap a Jap"), and portraying the act of blowing up dogs could easily be left out, and it would take nothing from the spirit of the project away.

Would you like to see a collage of dead jew children piled up about shoulder high? Neither would I, but it was a "reality of war". Still does not make it OK, and I doubt it would fly. I think we were to avoid offensive material in a project like this. If people cannot understand that they need to get their humanity meter checked.

View PostCrazedtiger77, on 07 September 2014 - 02:48 AM, said:

The reason why he got mad is that during WW2, Russia trained dogs to carry bombs under tanks. This didn't work, so they just made the dogs suicide bomb them. It's sad really, though it didn't necessitate his response.

Nothing necessitates my response. But I sure as hell am not too scared to say what I think, so I do. A lot of people would be afraid of the response they may get for speaking up.

Me? I welcome it. History has taught me not to turn the other cheek.

So someone go ahead and tell me how brave that guy who blew up the dog was, and why I would ever consider "honoring" him...

And on another note, can anyone tell me how the "slap a Jap" pic portrays a historical moment? Or honors anyone? Or even better, why I should not be offended by it?

Most of the entries are done in good taste. Hats off to you who did not feel a need to offend while doing this fun project.

Edited by DamnGunner, 07 September 2014 - 05:45 PM.

MJRMIKE #42 Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:02 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 26789 battles
  • [PIGS]

View PostDamnGunner, on 06 September 2014 - 10:47 PM, said:

At least the pics you put up were in good taste. I do not have a hard time facing realities of war in any way. I do however, hate seeing cruelty to animals being portrayed in 

Should I retort by telling you where to put your head? We should all know better than to try to slip by some taboo pics.

Ok, maybe I was a bit diklike with the head in sand comment, apologies. But I don't think it's taboo or cruelty to animals when a dog is sacrificed for the purpose of saving men. In leadership training, this is called "the exception principle", which is, the lowest capable member of the organization shall perform the tasks that he/she is capable of while the more skilled and experienced members shall be reserved for those tasks requiring the higher degree of skills and experience. The dog cant shoot rifles, or talk on a radio, or drive a tank so thats the job he gets. And the dog wont be leaving behind a grieving widow and hungry fatherless children either because dogs don't maintain the type of familial structure past maturity that humans do.  I get what you're saying, and I too love dogs but all emotions aside, the dog was the right 'man' for the job. That's what war is, ALL EMOTIONS ASIDE AND COMPLETE THE MISSION. A lot of hard decisions must be made on the battlefield, to lose a dog or a man, that's an easy decision. 

DamnGunner #43 Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:09 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 22795 battles

View PostMJRMIKE, on 07 September 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

Ok, maybe I was a bit diklike with the head in sand comment, apologies. 

Mike I have liked seeing you on these forums for a long time now. That is why after another scotch last night, I went back and deleted half of what I typed. I am sure you understand, and apologies if I offended you as well sir.

And yeah, I know it happens, but I still never want to see it if I am not there.

Zxyphos #44 Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:15 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 18182 battles
  • [RATT]

View PostDamnGunner, on 07 September 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

Mike I have liked seeing you on these forums for a long time now. That is why after another scotch last night, I went back and deleted half of what I typed. I am sure you understand, and apologies if I offended you as well sir.

If you drink booze you are alright in my book. ;)

MJRMIKE #45 Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:23 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 26789 battles
  • [PIGS]

View PostDamnGunner, on 07 September 2014 - 01:09 PM, said:

I feel the same, I don't want war with you. 

DamnGunner #46 Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:32 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 22795 battles

View PostMJRMIKE, on 07 September 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

I feel the same, I don't want war with you. 

:blinky:Only if we are facing the same enemy sir.

I have derailed here enough... Let's see some more entries!

GamerPaws #47 Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:16 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 21905 battles

View PostDamnGunner, on 07 September 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

Yeah, TBH, I have no problem with people killing each other. The dog is innocent the same way a child is innocent. Would you strap a bomb to a kid? 

My racism? How do you know I am not Japanese? Did you not see the "slap a Jap" pic posted by another person? How dare you call me racist for pointing it out. You may be the "racist" for not speaking up about it yourself!

Listen folks I do not think the spirit of this project was to slip by taboo pics. How does showing a dog being blown up "honor" anyone? 

"Using digital or physical materials create a collage depicting certain historical moments that occurred during World War 2 or pay homage to the men and women who served / gave their lives during this point in our history."

There are a lot of realities of war which are totally not appropriate. They could use some good sense when choosing  pics. There are still forum rules. This project is no exception. I feel that blatant disrespecting racism("slap a Jap"), and portraying the act of blowing up dogs could easily be left out, and it would take nothing from the spirit of the project away.

Would you like to see a collage of dead jew children piled up about shoulder high? Neither would I, but it was a "reality of war". Still does not make it OK, and I doubt it would fly. I think we were to avoid offensive material in a project like this. If people cannot understand that they need to get their humanity meter checked.

Nothing necessitates my response. But I sure as hell am not too scared to say what I think, so I do. A lot of people would be afraid of the response they may get for speaking up.

Me? I welcome it. History has taught me not to turn the other cheek.

So someone go ahead and tell me how brave that guy who blew up the dog was, and why I would ever consider "honoring" him...

And on another note, can anyone tell me how the "slap a Jap" pic portrays a historical moment? Or honors anyone? Or even better, why I should not be offended by it?

Most of the entries are done in good taste. Hats off to you who did not feel a need to offend while doing this fun project.

so what exactly u re trying to say? that dog is more than let s say Japanese kamikadze squad?
and about animals,i have two cats, one from shelter , one found on street right here, and I had dog for who I had to dig grave and bury him by myself, I took another dog from street. I am not rich and I don't like any cruelty, still people don't give a damn about dead people, but freaking out about animals all the time, that s just sick.

DamnGunner #48 Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 22795 battles

View PostGamerPaws, on 07 September 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

Would you like to see some cats blowing up? I wouldn't think so. But I guess the main point is shock photos were not the intended spirit of the project IMO.

Linerax #49 Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:12 PM

Major

• Players
  • 4743 battles
Color text, color text everywhere.

Credit to PublicSafety

Gold Prices

The Chief's Survival Guide

DamnGunner #50 Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:42 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 22795 battles
Shark everywhere.

JakeLandon #51 Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:09 AM

Major

• Players
  • 18996 battles
  • [LION]

Here's my entry; Good luck everybody!

"I don't demand that people think or behave the way I do. I have just as many questions about my own ideas as other people might have about my ideas. I'm not convinced I'm absolutely right all the time, but I'll take the chance and state my opinion at the time that I have it. I may regret it later, I may even change my mind later, but I take a stand."-  Frank Zappa

ICEMAN4193 #52 Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:01 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 6327 battles

Alright here is my submission. I wanted to keep it straight forward and I hope you all like it.

Sorry it is much smaller than the original, I had to keep shrinking it to fit the file size limit.

Gamertag - ICEMAN4193

Attached Files

• Attached File   411db384-37b2-4567-9cac-9ee9495e255a_zps848c1857.PNG   438.12K

Edited by ICEMAN4193, 08 September 2014 - 09:05 AM.

GamerPaws #53 Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:25 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 21905 battles
man this contest...I am not even sure I want to enter.. just when u get inside of stories of Ww2 , it s insane so much evil and so many brave heroes and so much sadness and death.  I wont even try to tell story with my pathetic English. I will get it from other source, it s insane. I don't think lot of people know about it. full story>

The Assassination of Reinhard Heydrich

Operation Anthropoid

http://www.holocaustresearchproject.org/nazioccupation/heydrichkilling.html

I made some pathetic picture (http://i60.tinypic.com/24o55w4.jpg) ..those guys, they re heroes, and I don't feel like doing crazy photoshop effects or what with pictures, because I want honor their memory, rest in peace

Firefly8 #54 Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:58 PM

Private

• Players
  • 3731 battles
My contribution.

Attached Files

• Attached File   WWII.jpg   334.02K

Firefly8 #55 Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:00 PM

Private

• Players
  • 3731 battles
WWII

ADDPaladin #56 Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:32 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7861 battles

Given how much raging has gone on in this tread I am wondering how many people actually took the time to READ what people wrote. I'm perfectly ok with the "slap a jap" pic because it was called what it was a propoganda poster and animals have been used in war all through history. Before you make a statement consider the context of the information anmd how it is presented. I personally feel that humanity has to many romantic les tied to the "glory" of war. Unless you have seen the real thing, smelled burnt and rotting human flesh you can't fully understand what those soldiers have gone through. I know from experience you NEVER forget the smell of a burnt or rotting human being. It's very different from a dead animal.

On the positive side everyones posts area great especially the stories and motivations behind them.

Mana WGA #57 Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:13 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 44 battles
Closing the topic for judging! Thank you to everyone who entered into the contest. It was a real eye opener and really educational. Keep an eye out for the winners!

Mana WGA #58 Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:05 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 44 battles

After some really hard deliberation (seriously, you guys made it super difficult) we have come up with the 10 winners!

Congrats to the following winners, you will each receive 750 gold. Listed in no particular order:

1. NicoDante
2. NightFox19
3. DARTH TETRIS
4. ICEMAN4193
5. D333V
6. HandHeldCB
7. MJRMIKE
8. damjan1120
9. Beaulirium
10. Firefly8

Congrats and thank you again for your participation! 

Edited by Mana WGA, 09 September 2014 - 08:36 PM.
misspelled a winners username (SORRY!!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users