Design Map XBOX 360 Wargaming Contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
84 replies to this topic

DFett01 #21 Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:51 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 9317 battles

Moonscape

It is on the moon, with small craters to go hull down and larger ones full of rocks for cover.(Sorry no bushes to hide behind on the moon.) And instead of a nice blue sky there is a star filled sky with the earth in the distance. I know it makes no since but who cares it's on the moon!

Moon battles and low gravity?! Yes please!

~HBFT

ExiledVulpesGT #22 Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:06 AM

Private

• Players
  • 3059 battles

map :quarry

terrain: rock

weather; day night rain snow

Ooh, looks like this map would force a lot of conflicts. :)

~HBFT

MegaB0B0 #23 Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:13 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9991 battles

Seems like A lot of work :(

do we need to declare the size of the map?

No need.  Just make an awesome map! :)

~HBFT

That one bounced... WTF..not at 100m and not twice in a roll and not on the side of a Walfe-100 with a BL-10!!!

Templar Wyvern #24 Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

Major

• Players
  • 25948 battles

Question: Could I send in a photo of a completed map on the given grid? I'm not to tech savvy and I don't know very many digital arts, but I do have pens and colored pencils.

That seems fine, if you want to print out the grid, draw on it, take a picture, and then post your entry. :)

~HBFT

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.

cheechaedo #25 Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:28 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 13178 battles
  • [VSP]

Well, I'm almost sure this map would play out similarly to Komarin, So I have affectionately named it Bethesmarin. Fiddled around with the layout for more than a few times, but came up with this. The northmost A1/A2 area is passable terrain through the prominent river down the center of the map. Tons of foliage line the river as opposed to various buildings on the southernmost point of the river, allowing for some passive scouting and sniping. Something to not would be the destroyed buildings lining the river would have breaks and a few piles of rubble, think Erlenberg style cove towards the river. The biggest problem I see is that the Bridges would end up becoming stalemates, but I think once a side passes the additional cover will allow for much better gameplay. I couldn't come up with a suitable alternate spawn to facilitate the more aggressive gameplay I would prefer. 

Clever name!

~HBFT

vampyrii #26 Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9713 battles

Map name: Minoan || Terrain: Urban. || Weather: Summer - Rain. || Modes: Standard Battle.

The Battle of Crete (German: Luftlandeschlacht um Kreta; Greek: Μάχη της Κρήτης) was a battle fought during World War II on the Greek island of Crete. It began on the morning of 20 May 1941, when Nazi Germany launched an airborne invasion of Crete under the code name Unternehmen Merkur (Operation Mercury). Greek and Allied forces, along with Cretan civilians, defended the island.

After one day of fighting, the Germans had suffered very heavy casualties and the Allied troops were confident that they would prevail against the German invasion. The next day, through miscommunication and the failure of Allied commanders to grasp the situation, Maleme airfield in western Crete fell to the Germans along with the harbor of Kastelli (Kissamos), enabling them to get in reinforcements and overwhelm the defenders. The battle lasted about 10 days.

We pick up after the 6th day, where after capturing the north part of the airport and harbor, German forces have introduced tanks into the battle. Allied forces from mainland Greece have arrived with their own tank platoons.

This is my final map creation.

Spoiler

I had made two maps already but I am not 100% sure if Google maps are allowed since the "no image manipulation" rule. These are actual maps of Crete Island in Greece. I put them here as a showcase only.

Spoiler

Spoiler

We would definitely prefer to have your own creations as the map instead of a picture.  That having been said, you provided exactly that and it looks fantastic! xD

I really appreciate you providing your inspiration too.  Kinda reminds me of one of the maps in Front Mission 5! :)

~HBFT

SKyMDX #27 Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:37 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14887 battles
  • [RIFP]

DFett01, you are awesome! I had the same idea, just thinking of the skybox with the earth on the horizon... :eyesup:

Still working on mine, so I will be editing this post later. (don't worry, its not a moon map)

*Map time*

Name: Granite

Weather: summer/ clear day

This would be a 1000km wide map.

If anyone has been to Yosemite National Park then you know exactly how the "hlls" surrounding the map would look like. Here's a photo reference:

Spoiler

Plus there is a waterfall on this map, K1. Lots of valleys and hills to traverse and boulders to hide behind. The river parts are not very deep, so using the bridges is not mandatory. It might even be nice with a winter varient where the water is all gone.

P.S.: I still think the moon map is freaking awesome.

Edited by SKyMDX, 09 November 2014 - 12:38 AM.

Some wise words from Quickybaby: "You are the only constant factor in your games. So your win ratio over a large number of rounds is going to be completely dependent on your skill as a player to influence the outcome of the match."

PhonedTree VGC #28 Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:05 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 60103 battles
  • [VGC]

Based on NYC

This looks like it would make a great map for a board game! xD  Good job!

~HBFT

OMEG4 HUNT3R #29 Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:24 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 18286 battles
  • [TUQLO]

This map combines long range combat and close quarters near both bases.

Above the dam you gain a large view of the map but there is not much cover, otherwise the team need to push through the middle of the valley between several rocks formations.

This dams were the target of the Dambusters operation by the UK, more info: http://geekmom.com/2...ars-dambusters/

Ooh! I love the art style!  Reminds me of those hiking map stations that you come across when going through a national park.

~HBFT

Templar Wyvern #30 Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

Major

• Players
  • 25948 battles

Map Name: Intercept   Type: Mixed Terrain    Weather: Summer-Sunny/Winter-Snowing

My map inspiration came from WoT actually. The T-110E3, T-110E4, and T-110E5 were designed to fit through Switzerland's vast and narrow tunnel system in order to quickly intercept a Soviet push into Western Europe. This map is based on that particular idea.

Spoiler

One team will spawn at the entrance to a tunnel at the north end, whilst the other team will spawn in a walled military facility to the south. East is the mountains. The southern team can climb a shallow incline to reach the mountain highway and the northern team can use the highway itself. There are trees and bushes here for cover. Inside the valley is the town and railroad terminal. Cover can be obtained via use of the buildings. The town has yet to be touched by war, so there aren't ant keyholes and bombed out buildings to hide in, yet. Certain buildings can have holes blown in them to create hull-down positions within the town. While the buildings do provide adequate cover, the town itself is not safe from artillery barrages. There could also be an Encounter circle near the railroad tracks for encounter mode, and the walled base can be a capture point in assault mode. More, smaller buildings and destructible decorations could be added.

A note or two: The red lines run through the city streets. I drew these so I wouldn't lose them while drawing other features. Feel free to disregard those.

The colors represent terrain elevation, not the actual map itself. The hillsides are lush and green and the base of the valley is grassy. I didn't have enough shades of green.

Take it easy on me. Pen, paper, and crayola colored pencils were my tools of the trade here. I know it doesn't look like a masterpiece, but then again, I'm not a WG map dev.

Mad props for all of the detail in your map.  (i.e. railroad tracks, etc.)

~HBFT

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.

MaxChaos24 #31 Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:22 PM

Gameplay Expert

• Administrator
  • 12936 battles
  • [WGW]

Map Name: Riverbank

Description: You have a central river with 2 log bridges across. In the center of the river, the water is low and tanks can cross there. On both sides of the bridges, you have tank barricades wrapped in barbed wire. The main terrain is dried hard mud, but the section through the river crossing is soft mud. The main paths are lower in elevation which is surround by the higher areas covered in shrubs. 

Game Play: Teams will need to protect their own bridge to secure their flank while facing the enemy forces who crossed the river on their bridge/water crossing. 

Muahahaha choke points galore! Perfect setup for mad solo carries! :)

~HBFT

Armensyths #32 Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:10 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5361 battles
  • [VGC]

You will have to pardon my lack of artistic skill..

Inspiration behind this map was kinda Mario Kart 64 (I can't remember the name of the course, but you were riding on thin rock paths above lava with a few platforms inbetween where you could pick up weapons and duke it out).

The aim of this map is to force a few tactics...channeling engagement across the bridges (denoted by the grey paths) onto the islands (marked green), which provide variable cover (rock outcrops / trees denoted by brown lines), and a mountain in the middle to fight around. The multiple bridges allow for variable tactics and approaches to the bases, and ensure artillery cannot just mark one bridge and engage.

This map looks like it would be pretty intense to play on.  Thanks for sharing!

~HBFT

hunter81095 #33 Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:18 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17833 battles
  • [TRA2]
Berlin, Based on 1945 Berlin, It has fields, and of course, a city, the bridges are the only way to anyones base, and the river Spree will drown any tanks that go through it, it's all about brawling and sniping in this map, can you take Germany's greatest city? 

Foch155_2_1_Sig.jpg

Lesurna #34 Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:33 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 15225 battles
  • [HAVAL]

View PostDFett01, on 05 November 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

Moonscape

It is on the moon, with small craters to go hull down and larger ones full of rocks for cover.(Sorry no bushes to hide behind on the moon.) And instead of a nice blue sky there is a star filled sky with the earth in the distance. I know it makes no since but who cares it's on the moon!

Moon battles and low gravity?! Yes please!

~HBFT

i would ramp a t71 on this going for 30 yards+ in low gravity

LemonGem3021668 #35 Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:51 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11279 battles

Alright, first post! Lets make this one a winner!

Map Name: Island Coast

Camouflage: Summer 

Weather: Clear

Standard Battle:

]

This map would have a play style focusing on close range combat and ambush. The thick brush would be great for passive scouts and tank destroyers waiting for easy kills on unsuspecting tankers driving along the sandy road. There are four camps located in the forest and I imagine those would be big combat zones. On the beach the many covered bunkers would provide cover to advance from the south toward the base. The river in the center would be impassable so you would have to cross one of the 4 bridges. Over all this map provides varied game play and interesting and varied terrain.

My stats aren't perfect, but there impressive for me at least!

Linerax #36 Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:33 AM

Major

• Players
  • 4743 battles

The gray rectangles are bridges and the black semi circles are tunnels.

Credit to PublicSafety

Gold Prices

The Chief's Survival Guide

CoffeeWolf74 #37 Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:14 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 10952 battles

Destroyed Secret Airfield

A2 is the wrecked tower, the lightnings below are destroyed planes.

black squares at C2/C4 are supposed to be empty hangars that tanks could go inside

green up-arrows are groups of trees, and/or sparse forests

purple stuff at D7-D0 is mountains

the lighter blue of the lake is meant to be for shallower waters

I hope no one is jealous of my tremendous art ability :medal:

Edited by CoffeeWolf74, 09 November 2014 - 01:18 AM.

Shawnito86 #38 Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:03 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6587 battles

Here is a map I would think would be fun and require a lot of teamwork. It's called: RIDGE.

A ridge separates the northwest and southeast bases. The ridge overlooks the entire battlefield around, so holding it is the key to spotting the enemy and winning the battle. That might not be as easy as it sounds however, as there are a total of three traversable hills leading up to the ridge on each side, meaning once you reach the top, you’ll have to watch your flank. Beware of tank destroyers that hang back near the bases using the buildings for cover from tanks firing from the ridge. While the ridge offers unparalleled views of the map, sparse cover atop should make you think twice before completely exposing yourself to tanks below – or artillery fire from above. If you are especially daring, you can sneak around the sides of the ridge and try to make it into the opponent’s base without being spotted to deal with pesky artillery or to score a base capture. It will take coordination from the entire team to pull off a victory on this map.

This map would also make for great Encounter battles with the flag placed right in the center at the top of the ridge. Your team must get to the top to capture the flag, but you’ll have to beware of tanks sneaking around the sides of the ridge to take shots at your exposed flanks.

Assault could also be a fun option with the flag up on the ridge and the attacking team starting with split forces from the northwest AND southeast. Thettackers would have plenty of cover using the towns’ buildings, while the defending team would have to cover the ridge in all directions or risk exposing their flanks to any attackers lucky enough to punch a hole in the defense at the top of the ridge.

I probably spent too much time making this. Let me know what you think.

I'm looking for people with whom to platoon! I play 360 on NA West Mostly.

If you want to platoon, send me an invite, or let me know and I'll send one.

CrisEspindola #39 Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 19693 battles

Map Two Bridges
Two ways to pass and meet the teams, inevitable in order to dominate the enemy flag showdown. good fun.

10413361_953499734678336_692930213974386

*̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ *̡͌l̡*™  Jogar por diversão sempre! - Play for fun ever! Brasil 2015

Fear Da Butter #40 Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:20 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 34714 battles

View Postvampyrii, on 06 November 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:

Map name: Minoan || Terrain: Urban. || Weather: Summer - Rain. || Modes: Standard Battle.

The Battle of Crete (German: Luftlandeschlacht um Kreta; Greek: Μάχη της Κρήτης) was a battle fought during World War II on the Greek island of Crete. It began on the morning of 20 May 1941, when Nazi Germany launched an airborne invasion of Crete under the code name Unternehmen Merkur (Operation Mercury). Greek and Allied forces, along with Cretan civilians, defended the island.

After one day of fighting, the Germans had suffered very heavy casualties and the Allied troops were confident that they would prevail against the German invasion. The next day, through miscommunication and the failure of Allied commanders to grasp the situation, Maleme airfield in western Crete fell to the Germans along with the harbor of Kastelli (Kissamos), enabling them to get in reinforcements and overwhelm the defenders. The battle lasted about 10 days.

We pick up after the 6th day, where after capturing the north part of the airport and harbor, German forces have introduced tanks into the battle. Allied forces from mainland Greece have arrived with their own tank platoons.

This is my final map creation.

Spoiler

I had made two maps already but I am not 100% sure if Google maps are allowed since the "no image manipulation" rule. These are actual maps of Crete Island in Greece. I put them here as a showcase only.

Spoiler

Spoiler

We would definitely prefer to have your own creations as the map instead of a picture.  That having been said, you provided exactly that and it looks fantastic! xD

I really appreciate you providing your inspiration too.  Kinda reminds me of one of the maps in Front Mission 5! :)

~HBFT

This is just what we need.... More city maps please.. I love the way this one actually follows a real city.. Good job

:medal:

"Fear da Butter"

Win8  2735.84  Win7 2184.11  EFF 1918.11  

Also tagged with Design, Map, XBOX, 360, Wargaming, Contest

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users