The Great DPM Projekt

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

Gr4b YoGatz FOO #21 Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:54 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 19527 battles
  • [FARTY]
Nice job and good idea! I've just got a couple suggestions, you should keep everything in the OP so it's easy to find and use more bold text to separate the country's.

Want to get better at the game? Click here

Want to not suck at Lakeville? Click here

Uranprojekt #22 Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:40 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7917 battles

View PostGr4b YoGatz FOO, on 31 December 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:

Nice job and good idea! I've just got a couple suggestions, you should keep everything in the OP so it's easy to find and use more bold text to separate the country's.

I had planned to keep everything in the OP but there isn't enough space, I get an error message telling me the post is too long if I try to add to it. The bold text I can, and will, do though.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

I write things, things which can be found in Historical Discussions. Things like this article on the Soviet invasion of Manchuria in 1945 and this article on the Spanish Civil War.

To those of you who don't molest the English language, I salute you. For everyone else, there's this handy link; http://www.reverso.n...elling-grammar/

Zulu Calm #23 Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:50 AM

Major

• Players
  • 17378 battles
  • [BNKR]
Great post OP. +1.

Sig image created by the remarkably talented xRoni7x

I'm also a subscriber to another great WOT forum The Bunker http://thebunker.freeforums.net/

and a proud member of The Bunker clan (BNKR)

Imhidingshh #24 Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:29 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 15848 battles
  • [BNKR]
I said you'd get it pinned, well done.  

#BUNKER!! 

The only team in WoT is the yellow team

#BRING BACK LADY O

NahWasntMe #25 Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:10 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7037 battles
Great stuff maybe you/we/WG can add it to the xbox Wiki

“Out of every 15 men, 5 shouldn't even be there, they are campers or arty,  5 are just potatoes, 4 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” 
Nahwasntme with apologies to Heraclitus who said :

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” 

LOWxONxHealth #26 Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:08 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 18744 battles
Its interesting to note the Valentine and the Alecto have dpm numbers that put them on par with tier ten tanks! Wow!
If you're not low on health you must be doing something wrong.Proud supporter of Reynolds Wrap.Covering the world in tinfoil one Kinect at a time.

roast2112 #27 Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:13 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 8443 battles
Excellent job mate. Thanks for putting in the effort for all us forumers. Happy new year ma babe. +1 to you sir.

AdmrHackett #28 Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:30 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16744 battles
Keep in mind that guns firing HE like howitzers and artillery only achieve that high DPM if they pen.

AdmrHackett #29 Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:46 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16744 battles

Also, Tortoise has about 4k DPM with vents, gun rammer, tea/pudding and BiA.

Playertd #30 Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

Major

• Players
  • 16774 battles

View PostAdmrHackett, on 31 December 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

Also, Tortoise has about 4k DPM with vents, gun rammer, tea/pudding and BiA.

Hes just doing stock DPM, no consumables and stuff.

4HPMvmm.jpg

Roberts701 #31 Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:34 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 4061 battles

Very informative post and easy to read OP :medal: thanks for taking the time to do it . :honoring:

P.S just saying :), could you add all the info into the 1st post, would be easier to find.

Uranprojekt #32 Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:14 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7917 battles

View PostRoberts701, on 01 January 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

Very informative post and easy to read OP :medal: thanks for taking the time to do it . :honoring:

P.S just saying :), could you add all the info into the 1st post, would be easier to find.

I've already said this but I'll say it again, there is literally no space left in the OP to add another tech tree. I'll edit the OP to include an announcement that I don't have enough space to add another tech tree.

I write things, things which can be found in Historical Discussions. Things like this article on the Soviet invasion of Manchuria in 1945 and this article on the Spanish Civil War.

To those of you who don't molest the English language, I salute you. For everyone else, there's this handy link; http://www.reverso.n...elling-grammar/

Roberts701 #33 Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 4061 battles

View PostUranprojekt, on 01 January 2015 - 02:14 PM, said:

I've already said this but I'll say it again, there is literally no space left in the OP to add another tech tree. I'll edit the OP to include an announcement that I don't have enough space to add another tech tree.

Sorry bout that,  Guess i should of read the full thread :), Good job and looking forward to new content.:medal:

Uranprojekt #34 Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7917 battles

View PostRoberts701, on 01 January 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

Sorry bout that,  Guess i should of read the full thread :), Good job and looking forward to new content.:medal:

No worries. I've updated the OP to add a disclaimer thingy about the space issue and I've edited the first reply to include links to the tech trees that aren't in the OP.

Whilst I'm here, I'll be working on the Soviet tech tree tomorrow (2/1/15 or 1/2/15 if you're American). It should be added either tomorrow or the day after. The American tech tree will be added next week.

SiLENT HuN7ER #35 Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:48 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28055 battles
  • [BNKR]
Well done! 

L   i   v   e       L   o   n   g       a   n   d        P   r   o   s   p   e   r

Spoiler

gormiti100 #36 Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:05 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 91 battles
Very helpful, thanks.

My XBL gamertag is: "Crazy Pessimist".

Uranprojekt #37 Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7917 battles

Queue the shots of vodka and begin blaring "March of the Defenders of Moscow" (seriously, look that up on YouTube because it's an epic song) for the Soviet tech tree DPM stats list has arrived! No doubt the IS-4 line will get added this month and I'll have to add that in but I digress. As is the norm now, this post will be added in link form to the first reply to the OP for the sake of togetherness.

Soviet tech tree

Heavy Tank Line (IS-7)

Spoiler

Heavy Tank Line (IS-4)

Spoiler

Medium Tank Line (T-62A & Obj. 140)

Spoiler

Medium Tank Line (Obj. 430)

Spoiler

Tank Destroyer Line (Object 268)

Spoiler

Tank Destroyer Line (Object 263)

Spoiler

Artillery Line (Object 261)

Spoiler

Premium Tanks

Spoiler

Playertd #38 Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:56 PM

Major

• Players
  • 16774 battles
Good stuff man +1

4HPMvmm.jpg

xtermin8r69 #39 Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13438 battles
Excellent job!

Uranprojekt #40 Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7917 battles

Whilst woking on the American tech tree, I noticed that some American guns have "L/..." at the end e.g. The M6 stock gun is the 76 mm Gun M7 L/50. What does this "L/..." business mean? It's the length of the gun in calibres. To figure out the actual length of the gun, multiply the diameter of the bore by the calibre of the gun (a 5 inch, 50 calibre gun would be 250 inches long).

The reason this stood out to me is because it's not typical of American guns to have "L/..." at the end, it's typical of German guns. So I decided that, whilst taking a short break from working on the American tech tree (staring at numbers all day gets a little tedious), I'd throw some bonus education.

Take a look at the German tech tree. You'll see that it's full of guns with "KwK" or "PaK" or "Flak." It gets pretty confusing to your average Joe. "What's the difference between all these abbreviations?!", I hear you cry. Well, good sir/madam, allow me to explain.

The German language is very straight forward in the sense that a lot of words have very literal meanings. Panzerkampfwagen literally means "armoured fighting vehicle." The guns on these Panzerkampfwagens are very much the same.

• KwK - KampfwagenKanone (Tank gun)
  • PaK - PanzerabwehrKanone (Anti tank gun)
  • FlaK - FliegerabwehrKanone (Anti aircraft gun)

Easy, right?

So, what about all that other nonsense in German tank gun names? That's also very easy. Let's take the 8.8 cm KwK 36 L/56 as an example. The 8.8 cm bit is the diameter of the bore, KwK is KampfwagenKanone, 36 is the year of first production (where you see something like 36/2, I believe that is the second production and indicates some modification to the gun) and L/56 is, as explained earlier, the length of the gun in calibres. We put all that together and we get the 8.8 cm bore diameter KampfwagenKanone 1936 with a barrel length of 56 calibres or 190.4 inches. It's a bit long, thus it's all shortened down to 8.8 cm KwK 36 L/56. This can be applied to just about every single German WWII era gun, interchanging KwK/PaK/FlaK where necessary.

There you have it, German tank guns explained. Now you can impress your non-German friends with your new found knowledge of German tank gun nomenclature or make a fool of yourself to your German friends trying to pronounce all these German words.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users