Medium Tanking 210: Terrain

Medium Guide Terrain Hills That rock doesnt hide you

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Medium Tanking 210: Terrain (26 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battles in order to participate this poll.

What should the next part be

1. Vision (5 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

2. The flow of battle (13 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Finer points of shooting guns (5 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

4. "The Playbook" (3 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

Vote Hide poll

MrWuvems #1 Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:25 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

Intro

Right so I've been threatening to start this series for a while now, and terrain use is something I see sorely lacking from other mediums. What we're going to be talking about here can be divided up into the categories: Hills and gun depression, mobility, Cover, and urban combat. At the top of this post is a pole to gauge the demand for the next lesson. Any comments or questions, just add them in a reply.

Hills and Gun Depression

First of all, a definition. Gun depression is the amount your gun can aim down measured in degrees from straight forward. This value changes from tank to tank, and sometimes between turrets and guns on the same tank. Knowing how much your tank can aim down is important for a couple of reasons. One is that the terrain can get in the way so you can't shoot at someone. Defensively, you need to know just how much of your tank you need to expose to get a shot off. Shooting while the enemy only sees your turret is known as being "Hull down".

There are a few ways to artificially increase your gun depression. The first, and often ignored way is to find a small hill or jut in the terrain. This will effectively cover your tank's hull while you, still sitting flat can shoot over it. Think about the big hill in the middle of the map "Cliff". There are sections of the slope that you can hide your plate behind while you peek out to take a shot. You can also turn your hull so that it's parrallel to the crest of whatever hill you're on. Your suspension will attempt to level your tank as much as it can or hit contours that can give you that extra little edge. It's important to remember that, even with tanks that have weak turrets, it's important to present the smallest target possible. If your entire tank is exposed, they can still shoot your turret if it's weak OR the massive hull you're showing.

Hills are also your biggest defense against arty. Because arty comes in at an angle, the geometry works out to where you either 1. have a smaller chance of being hit or 2. having the shot blocked by the hill itself. Peeking over a hill is also a safe-ish way to spot. Never fire on the down-slope of a hill though. Not only does it expose your engine deck (fire, death, low armor) when you do this, but for most tanks it reduces the armor angle of your front plate.

Mobility

Terrain comes in four types: Hard, semi-hard, soft, and water. Water is a general "do not drive here", but the other categories each have a "resistance" value associated with them. Different tanks handle terrain differently. Generally the heavier the tank, the worse it does on softer terrain. Terrain penalties reduce acceleration, speed, and turning rate. This is why, all things being even, it's faster to drive on a road getting to where you want to go. Certain low-mid tier German tanks can equip grousers to reduce the penalty, and the vastly underrated "King of the Road" perk works wonders.

How your tank is built and its size and suspension also have an effect on going over jagged terrain. Larger tanks can drive over larger rocks and gaps generally.

The big takeaway here is you need to know how your tank handles different terrains and keeping your eyes out for chances to use easier terrain to get speed while your opponents are in worse spots.

Cover

Cover comes in two varieties, "hard" and "soft". Soft cover consists of things that can hide your tank but not stop a shell. These are your bushes, fallen trees (YES they do provide concealment), small walls, and the like. Small walls essentially act as vision blocking bricks until destroyed, but bushes get more complicated. Bushes (and fallen trees) provide bonus camouflage when you hide behind one. In order for this to work, Your entire tank has to be covered with it from the angle of an enemy tank. Have part of your tread sticking out? no bonus. Your gun CAN however stick out without penalty. The bushes temporarily stop working when someone withing 5 meters fires. To counter this effect, you can back up from the bush until you can't see through it (firing at the outline of the enemy tank in red) and then moving back. Note that a careless teammate can disable YOUR cover.

Hard cover, meanwhile, is anything that you can't be shot through. Houses, masonry, rocks, etc. Certain houses can only block one or two shots before being completely destroyed. You can also drive through these. Having most of your tank behind soft cover is the strongest defensive move you can take, but remember that any part sticking out means you can be spotted. Just because you can't see them, doesn't mean they can't see you. Also be keenly aware of the side of your tank sticking out at different angles. A great many times tankers have thought they were safe, only to be shot in the engine because their big compartment was sticking out. On the forums, this accounts for roughly 99% of the "I was shot while in cover" complaints. It's also a good idea to map out an escape route before taking cover. Ideally, you want a route that you can turn around and get out fast without exposing yourself.

Urban Combat

Well this is going long, but there are a couple of things that need to be hit here.

1. You can shoot through certain windows or in gaps between pillars. By sticking your gun through these, you get a lot more firing space than the enemy does to shoot back at you

2. You can shoot under rail cars into the side of a careless enemy, usually tracking and dealing damage to them.

MrWuvems #2 Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:36 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

So I take it between the rather light amount of views, 2 other people voting and complete lack of comments I should just stick to punchier short-form guides

/

Playertd #3 Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:49 AM

Major

• Players
  • 19690 battles

Nice write up, but yeah these forums are kinda screwed....general discussion and clan threads are all that get views.

I'd post a small "Hey check this guide out" post in general, unless that counts as spam lol.

4HPMvmm.jpg

Radica1Cat #4 Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:49 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9793 battles
It's not in General Discussion. That's the real problem. Always remember, as paraphrased from a General Discussion Commoner:

People don't go to other categories of the Forums because there aren't any posts there. So, in turn, they post in General Discussion because they know that's where everyone is that will answer questions and read posts.

In short, people stay in G.D. because everyone else is in G.D. and instead of trying to fix this problem, it's only logical that they continue the trend.

Stang is a dirty girl.

TangoLit #5 Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:18 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29362 battles
  • [BANE]
That was a solid read.  Thanks for putting it together.  I'll look forward to more!

Git gud here:  bit.ly/tankguide (I should read this).  On Track list.

8000 is better than 11090 - shaunw2010

SpartacusDiablo #6 Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:28 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19642 battles
  • [BNKR]
I like it. Thank you. I get a kick out of shooting under trains. The hate mail you get for "hacking" is priceless. Thanks again for taking the time to write this up.

leova #7 Posted 08 January 2015 - 06:37 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11380 battles
  • [47R]

Block Quote

Certain low-mid tier German tanks can equip grousers to reduce the penalty, and the vastly underrated "King of the Road" perk works wonders.

Did you mean Off-Road Driving?

And good article :)

Locomoconomo #8 Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:53 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4484 battles

No, don't stop. Most of us need as much guidance as we can get. Lord knows I'm only beginning to understand how to manipulate my tank tactically in this game.  If we were in the real world where all of my senses can be utilized it would be very different. Here in this virtual world, I'm just learning how to walk and guides like yours coupled with the grind are the only fast tracks.

Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

Let's 'ave a Go at the Bloody BassTurds shall we?

Please do not mistake my civility as a sign of tolerance. If you're a a disrespectful, self absorbed no-lifer who takes these games too seriously, we ARE NOT going to get along. All others, Welcome !!!

MrWuvems #9 Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:19 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles
So I'm going to give this a couple of days to see if the pole gets un-tied before mapping out part 2

the metronome #10 Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:44 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 52101 battles
This is good stuff. Preach it, brother.

There's a fine line between being a flaming angel of death riding wings of vengeance and fury, and being Mr. Potato Head limping around on one leg while missing a nose and an ear.

rick007cmx1 #11 Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:18 PM

Major

• Players
  • 58859 battles
I always read your posts i just dont always comment. Keep going.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users