How not to make the top ten mistakes by someone who made them all.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

ExiledHannibai-x #1 Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:06 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20725 battles

Accrding to one of the mods there's been an influx of new players, and who am I to argue? so here's my top ten facepalm things that I did that new players should avoid. I hope it helps, and if it doesn't well, you've only lost about 10s of your life right?.

1) Learn the controls. You know about zoom and sniper mode right? 150 games for me before I worked that one out. You know about cruise control? 2000 for that one. Autoaim? 5200. If not find out, and that leads me onto the most important of all  - Press A to mute.

2) Unplug your Kinect  I don't want to hear music I don't like pushed through a low bitrate that would make even music I like sound awful. Nor do I want to hear your Mum telling you whats for tea, hearing the kids complaining about you hogging the XBox, or on one mememorable occassion some dude watching gay pr0n on his iPad. Just No. Get a mike  they're cheap.

3) That big pointy thing on the front of you tank. Its a gun. Shoot it. A lot.except....When there's nothing to shoot. It doesn't help anyone if you blast your autoloader into thin air. It's kinda fun as you can write graffiti on walls with your autoloader, but while you're doing that you are giving your position away. And blowing up the destructible cover only helps the opfor, so don't do it.

4) Hiding in a corner doesn't help. If you're teammates die around you, you die. If they don't you win and get very little XP. Hiding helps if you're in a fight. Use cover well, pop out, fire and pop back in.

5) Don't push people out of cover. If you're favourite piece has been taken it's perfectly permissible to sit behind them and use them as cover. If you push them out all that will happen is that they will retaliate and you end up taking two guns out of the game while the argument is resolved. [Edit] if you do sit behind them ensure they can back up. Don't block the retreat, actually, better still, find an alternative - there is plenty.

6) don't make the mistake of thinking that this is just one game. It isn't. It's a bit like the premier league  there are multiple divisions in one: the champions league contenders (Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Man City, Liverool and the mighty Derby County(*). Then there's mid table contenders (Newcastle, Everton etc) and the relegation battle (all the promoted teams plus Villa).

Each TIer plays differently and has different characteristics. Tiers 1-3 are fast zoomy and spectacular; Tiers 4,,5 and 6 are much more tactical, Tiers 7,10 will test your knowledge of the tanks, and IMHO aren't anywhere near as fun, but that's your call not mine. Then there's scouting, artillery and brawling to master.

So what's the mistake? Rushing up the tiers 'cos you think that's what the game is about. It isn't, so savour the journey, master your tank and your tier. some people regard tier X as the only place to be and that's fine, but play the game that you enjoy.

(*) If this is still being read in 2017 that relegation battle we're in is entirely down to injury, ref decisions etc and it will all come right in the end.

7) Not all tanks are the same. You will NOT destroy Matilda with an autoloader. That's not unfair 'cos Matilda will never zip into the artillery park and rack up easy kills. This is a game of rock, paper, scissors so know if you're the rock, the paper or the scissors. I once had a pz ii pling away at Matilda for ages and I just let him, to see how long it took for him to get bored. in the end he rammed me. That didn't end well for him either.

8) If you're scouting: STAY ALIVE. You're no use to my French TD if you die before I'm in a position to put fire on the tanks you spot. Find out how the radio mechanic works. Use the mike to check that your support is in position. You only get spotting points if the tanks you spot get damaged. Spotting tanks before your  support is in place only gives the opfor an easy kill.

9) If you get hit, move. I played a game yesterday in my French TD and some dude was spotted. I put a shot into him. He vanished as the spotter had been killed. I then put three shots into the thin air where he'd been and killed him. He was next to a rock so in the 20s it took me to get the shots off he could have made himself safe. Also, if artillery 'nearly got us that time' don't reverse out of the way as that's generally not fast enough. The artillery dispersion widens if he moves his point of aim too quickly but if you reverse it's not normally enough and he'll get you. Make his life hard.

and finally

10) Play everything. especialy artillery. Observe the things that guys do that make your life difficult and try them. You can do everything that everyone else does. There's no secret, no holy grail, there's just knowledge. Look for it and find it and get better.

and finally......... Workout how Zoom works. Technically that's 11 but its probably the most important thing in the game. And really finally, have fun.

Edited by ExiledHannibai, 10 February 2015 - 06:18 AM.

bulletmaster22 #2 Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:24 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 8294 battles
Nice tips.

Block Quote

...At a prewar diplomatic conference, the Nazi Foreign Minister Ribbentrop "sniffed" to Eden and Churchill that if there was another war, the Italians would be on Germany's side!
To which Churchill supposedly replied: "that seems only fair, we had them last time!"...

zz SlowMoe zz-x #3 Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 39955 battles
+1

corran2 #4 Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:24 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21435 battles
kudos sir +1 on a helpful post.

PeteyTheRed #5 Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:01 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 9121 battles
What is this "Cruise Control" of which you speak? Seriously though, is that the clicking down on left thumb thing?
:sceptic:

PeteyTheRed #6 Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:03 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 9121 battles
Oh, you said Mighty Derby County, Boo too you :D

ExiledHannibai-x #7 Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20725 battles

View PostPeteyTheRed, on 08 February 2015 - 02:01 PM, said:

What is this "Cruise Control" of which you speak? Seriously though, is that the clicking down on left thumb thing?

yes. That's the one. Very helpful for muting people at the beginning without slowing you advance, and believe me, in the fcmpak40 you want all the speed you can get!

RedRider300 #8 Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:12 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 11317 battles
Just wasted 3min of my life

made by Violet Viper x

John 3:16

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

mayhem punk #9 Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:14 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10079 battles

While there is some good advice on here about half of it is simply invalid

How can you comment on tiers 7-10 when you have only played 136 games in 3 tier 7 tanks and nothing in tiers 8, 9 or 10. It seems a little hypocritical when you have played a whooping 60% (3720) games in tiers 1 & 2

Or telling people to play everything especially arty when you yourself have only played 90 games from 6200 in arty, that's only 1.45%

Also I'll just point out that the Leopard and luchs both have autocannons* that can pen the Matilda front on, while the Cruiser, Covenanter and Pz II Ausf. G can easily pen it from the rear                  *autoloaders start at tier 6 and they will all eat the matilda

PeteyTheRed #10 Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 9121 battles
oh dear, as ever, sense of humour failure in the forums . . . . .

Aschenblume #11 Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:45 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 29044 battles
tl dr but im guessing they are things i already know and are only useful for newcomers anyways +1

-Dreadnought-

Signature by Desyatnik Pansy

Super-Unicum - WN8 - 3200 -- Check out my tank guides for the: ConquerorLeopard 1STB-1Chieftain,

TigerCenturion Mk. 7/1Jagdtiger, and T26E4 Super Pershing

ExiledHannibai-x #12 Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:47 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20725 battles

View Postmayhem punk, on 08 February 2015 - 02:14 PM, said:

While there is some good advice on here about half of it is simply invalid

How can you comment on tiers 7-10 when you have only played 136 games in 3 tier 7 tanks and nothing in tiers 8, 9 or 10. It seems a little hypocritical when you have played a whooping 60% (3720) games in tiers 1 & 2

Or telling people to play everything especially arty when you yourself have only played 90 games from 6200 in arty, that's only 1.45%

Also I'll just point out that the Leopard and luchs both have autocannons* that can pen the Matilda front on, while the Cruiser, Covenanter and Pz II Ausf. G can easily pen it from the rear                  *autoloaders start at tier 6 and they will all eat the matilda

thank you. All valid points with valid answers. I do note that actually you don't dispute the advice but only my right to make it. 

1) I'm not sure it's hypocritical, as I make no comment about tiers 7 to 10 other than they're not to my taste. Hypocritical would be telling people that they're the best while not playing them. One would have thought that over a 150 games would be enough to know. I'm doing what I advise which is enjoy the journey. I accept others preferences for high tiers, be nice to have that reciprocated. Mind you I've had a blast with my newly purchased t23 so I'll be playing more.

2) I play low tiers. Well the kids love 'em. What can I say? Entirely consistent with the ' do what you want' ethos. They love their fast moving auto cannon (I stand corrected but it's not important) and I love my tds.

3) I'm not sure whether you're disputing the advice to play arty or merely my right to give it? 90 games is surely enough to know that I don't really like it and to get to grips with the mechanics. Which was the point. If not 90 how many? Point is it was only when I played I understood what was going on, which is why all newcomers should try it.

4) I accept your point about Matilda, but I recently played 82games solid in her experimenting with tea and coffee (fairly long post currently under construction) and never once had that happen. The point being made there wasn't about Matilda but about each tank having strengths.

i do find it odd that other people pay far more attention to my stats page than I do, but if you enjoyed yourself who am I to judge.

im sorry that you didn't find the advice helpful, still thanks for responding anyway.

ExiledHannibai-x #13 Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20725 battles

View Postl PanzerFaust l, on 08 February 2015 - 02:45 PM, said:

tl dr but im guessing they are things i already know and are only useful for newcomers anyways +1

thank you. It was intended for newcomers. I have to say that finding auto aim helped immensely. Pity it took 5200 games to find it.

ExiledHannibai-x #14 Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:52 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20725 battles

View PostRedRider300, on 08 February 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

Well it is in the newcomers forum for newcomers so I'm not surprised.

if I'd posted in general discussion I guess a kicking would be justified.

KingDagfish-x #15 Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:17 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15005 battles
  • [10RTR]

View PostExiledHannibai, on 08 February 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:

Each TIer plays differently and has different characteristics. Tiers 1-3 are fast zoomy and spectacular; Tiers 4,,5 and 6 are much more tactical, Tiers 7,10 will test your knowledge of the tanks, and IMHO aren't anywhere near as fun, but that's your call not mine. Then there's scouting, artillery and brawling to master.

So what's the mistake? Rushing up the tiers 'cos you think that's what the game is about. It isn't, so savour the journey, master your tank and your tier. some people regard tier X as the only place to be and that's fine, but play the game that you enjoy.

And really finally, have fun.

^^ These points in particular are really excellent advice that many players overlook. Keep the tanks that you like, there's no need to just race to tier X - and you'll need to keep a decent spread of tank tiers anyway if you want to platoon.

I've played over 10k battles, so I'm starting to understand the game...

corran2 #16 Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:18 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21435 battles

View PostRedRider300, on 08 February 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

this is a new comers forum and what the ops put up is for them and is a good and informative post ... why dont you try and be helpful?

MtOMajorCat0311-x #17 Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:06 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19223 battles
  • [MTO]

Nice info and great post - I wish I would have read a post like this when I started because I went down the same trail you did.

BTW - didn't see Sheffield Wednesday FC mentioned!  (even if they did lose to Man City.......)

Edited by MtOMajorCat0311, 08 February 2015 - 04:06 PM.

It is in vain that you think that victory can be achieved by using "people's meat." Victory is achieved through the art of combat. War is waged with skill, not with people's lives.

—Order of G. K. Zhukov to I. G. Zakharkin on 7 March 1942

corran2 #18 Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:27 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21435 battles

View PostMtOMajorCat0311, on 08 February 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

Nice info and great post - I wish I would have read a post like this when I started because I went down the same trail you did.

^^ me 2.

xxxFumpsxxx #19 Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:10 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 835 battles

ExiledHannibai Great advice & post mate

Good to see people trying to help others.

Edited by xxxFumpsxxx, 09 February 2015 - 12:30 PM.

I will hurt them with Boomy goodness!

:izmena:

Metalrodent #20 Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:44 AM

Major

• Players
  • 10186 battles
  • [KMD]

Jeez some people, you put up a nice friendly written piece of tips for new players and people either pick it apart or moan that it's too long*

*they must cry at the very concept of books

<a data-cke-saved-href='http://i.imgur.com/sCeAbYa.gif' href='http://i.imgur.com/sCeAbYa.gif' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/sCeAbYa.gif</a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s...sCeAbYa.gif</a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s...bYa.gif</a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s...gif</a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'>http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>

There’s a mask upon my face
I can’t live without
So you won’t recognize me
When I am in the crowd

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users