Guide Spotting Mediums You didnt get shot by hacker

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

MrWuvems #1 Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:04 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

Intro

Alright folks. This is one of the most-misunderstood game mechanic so pay attention. Also, we're going to be using.. .MATH at points. Why? because there's math involved. Your listed view range doesn't actually reflect when you spot people.

In order to get into this, we're going to be talking hard limits, camo, and certain skills and perks.

The quick overview

The view range listed in your tank is a baseline for 100% crews with no buffs. All tanks have camo ratings that reduce the distance at which their spotted. Moving roughly halves your camo rating. Firing NUKES IT TO HELL. Detected pops up 3 seconds after someone starts aiming at you if you're looking in their general direction. Always run coated optics in your mediums unless you really, really know what you're doing.

Camo

Camo rating is a percentage. This percentage is directly multiplied into OPPOSING tank's view range to come up with a "detected" range. Sitting still for 3 seconds gives you your maximum camo. Moving reduces it. Firing pretty much reduces it to "don't bother" status. Firing is the easiest way to give away your position.  Bushes provide a sizeable (25% in some cases) depending on how big and thick it is (phrasing).  In order to get this bonus, your entire tank has to be covered from the perspective of your opponent. So if part of your tank sticks out, you get NO BONUS. Firing temporarily disables the bonus for all nearby bushes, so back off before shooting.

The camo crew skill at 100% with no bonuses gives you a 20% boost TO YOUR BASE camo rating. This can stack with a camo net for 45% extra camo. The camo skill is effected by Brothers In Arms, vents, and food skills. This puts the boost up to 22-24% depending if you use expensive food for your crew. However, these bonuses are multiplication effects. This means the bonuses are multiplied into your base camo rating. Big tank with low camo rating means the bonuses... really don't do much. For tanks like the T20, boosting camo could work. It's pretty useless on a Panther though.

It's possible for your tank to "disappear" by stopping or not firing after being spotted. This is because your camo rating goes up while they may not be moving any closer.

That Math

The view range at which you spot a tank is:

(Base View Range * Crew Skill Multiplier * bonuses from skills) * (1 - enemy camo rating.)

Getting a little more specific

Base View Range * (1 + .02 for each 5% of proficiency your commander has over 100%. You can get up to 120%) * ( 1 + (.03 * situation awareness training level) + (.02 * recon training level) * (1 - enemy camo rating)

How the game defines spotting

There are several points on your and all tanks in the game. If your view port has an un-obscructed view of any of those points AND your tank is within spotting range of the enemy tank AND you are no further than 450m away from the tank, It's spotted. Any tank within 50m of your tanks is automatically spotted.

That last and clause is pretty important. That 450m is the hard cap on spotting range. It is possible and advisable to boost your view range past 450. This is useful because it helps negate enemy camo range.

Note that the system can be rather odd at points. It's possible to not spot tanks on the other side of a rail car yet you can shoot its tracks easily. Because you don't have line of sight onto the enemy's "spotting points".

Skills and Equipment

Applicable skills that go towards vision:

Recon - provides 2% bonus to view range

Situational Awareness - provides 3%

Which one to take first is an interesting proposition. Generally, you want to consider: who's more vulnerable on your tank, the commander or the radio operator (loader if you don't have one). Take the skill that goes on the guy that dies the least first. Get both eventually. Another consideration: do you have a prominent cupola? Tanks like the Panther do and can benefit from Recon's other benefit (reducing the penalty for a damage viewport).

Oh, designated target can be of use, but it's pretty marginal and you should use other skills/perks first. Seriously, this is never in your top 10 for priorities.

Let's talk about Sixth Sense (lightbulb) for a second here. What sixth sense does it it IMMEDIATELY (detected takes 3 seconds) tells you when you're spotted by ANYONE (instead of people in front of you). This not only tells you when your spotted earlier and better, but you can use them in combination to tell you where the opponents are and when it's safe to take a shot. In general. Get sixth sense. Period. No exceptions.

Equipment:

There's some talk about using binoculars in a medium. This is generally a bad idea. Due to your role and nature, you're more effective moving around and can't afford to ever lose your vision edge. The only reason to use binocs over coated optics is if you don't have the gold to dismount optics after you're done with a tank.

Coated optics is necessary equipment for all mediums. It's impossible to even reach 450 view range (I've done calculations, doesn't even work with the M48) through a mixture of vents, BiA, and crew skills. You can get there with all the above AND expensive consumables, but that only barely gets you to 450. 450 view range is an important number, but having above that is a very, very good thing. Not having optics means you lose the vision war. period. In order to forgo optics, you need to acknowledge this and have a specific plan and playstyle to compensate. It's really only an option for brawlers and specific players in flankers.

Seriously, use optics.

MrWuvems #2 Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:09 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

Oh, and the next one's either going to be over psychology or "the playbook", useful maneuvers to fill your inbox with rage.

Haven't decided, input required.

l BoltFlare l #3 Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:14 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostTheMEagle, on 08 February 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

Oh, and the next one's either going to be over psychology or "the playbook", useful maneuvers to fill your inbox with rage.

Haven't decided, input required.

Great guide as always!

Both of them sound very useful, but I'm leaning towards psychology a bit more.

GT: BoltFlare

MrWuvems #4 Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:15 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

View Postl BoltFlare l, on 08 February 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

Great guide as always!

Both of them sound very useful, but I'm leaning towards psychology a bit more.

They're both going to be fun, we're past the basics and these are the two things that get you what Conan would say is best in life

JaggedSine6 #5 Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:22 AM

Major

• Players
  • 15540 battles
Good read. I'd like your opinion on the way I run my Super Pershing. Since I use it as a trainer, it usually has a green crew in it. The thing is horrible at aiming on the move and with green crews, I can't improve that. The reticule blooms full at the slightest movement so I always have to sit still and wait for it to aim for a good shot. All of my keeper mediums I use optics but this one gets binocs because I tend to snipe with it early on. Do you think I would be better off with optics or does my reasoning have any merit?
Stats? We don't need no stinking stats.

MrWuvems #6 Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:25 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

View PostJaggedSine6, on 08 February 2015 - 09:22 PM, said:

Good read. I'd like your opinion on the way I run my Super Pershing. Since I use it as a trainer, it usually has a green crew in it. The thing is horrible at aiming on the move and with green crews, I can't improve that. The reticule blooms full at the slightest movement so I always have to sit still and wait for it to aim for a good shot. All of my keeper mediums I use optics but this one gets binocs because I tend to snipe with it early on. Do you think I would be better off with optics or does my reasoning have any merit?

Rammer/Vert/Optics.

Pretty much mandatory for US tanks. The Pershing and the Super are both hillfighters and spotters.

Unless you're setting it up and playing it as a heavy (which the Super can do), then Binocs are... acceptable, like on the T29/32 and Tiger family (which I use), but it will fundamentally change how you play the tank, and you become a support heavy. So load up on those HVAPs

JaggedSine6 #7 Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:29 AM

Major

• Players
  • 15540 battles

View PostTheMEagle, on 08 February 2015 - 09:25 PM, said:

Rammer/Vert/Optics.

Pretty much mandatory for US tanks. The Pershing and the Super are both hillfighters and spotters.

Unless you're setting it up and playing it as a heavy (which the Super can do), then Binocs are... acceptable, like on the T29/32 and Tiger family (which I use), but it will fundamentally change how you play the tank, and you become a support heavy. So load up on those HVAPs

Thanks, as long as you can keep from getting flanked it does make for a decent support heavy. It's the one medium that I tend to play a little back to make sure I don't get hit in the rear or sides. Kind of the way I play my Tiger I.
Stats? We don't need no stinking stats.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users