Medium Tanking Extra Credit: Tank Setup

Medium Guide Equipment Crew Consumables

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

MrWuvems #1 Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:50 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

Alright, it's been a while and these are still going on. I haven't been playing much because my TV is dying, replacement soon but in the meantime:

Equipment

We're going to only be talking about only the things that are worth talking about. As such, if you're using a toolbox, improved suspension, C02 tanks, or anything else outside of the main picks, you're wasting a slot.

Gun Rammer: Unless you're using an autoloader, use one. Seriously. 10% more shots means 10% more damage, or being able to trade 2 shots for 1. Every tank except autoloaders, which can't mount it.

Coated Optics: Mediums are the more durable part of the vision picket, the ones that stay and fight instead of run. Optics increase spotting range by 10% and this stacks with other bonuses. Read the guide on vision for specifics, but this is going to go on most tanks in the second slot

Vert. Stabilizer: Allows you to shoot more accurately right after moving, and prevents the aiming circle from blooming too far. Considering mediums should always be moving...

Improved Gun Laying Drive (GLD): This, unlike the stabilizer makes the aiming circle shrink faster instead of grow more slowly to a smaller extent. Long story short, this is only better than a stabilizer for guns ABOVE 2.9 seconds. Guns that you should not be using. It's worth mentioning because the stabilizer isn't available until tier 7 (except the E8 at tier 6)

Improved Ventilation: lots of little bonuses to everything your tank does. Cheap, and good, but the stabilizer is JUST THAT GOOD

Other options-

Wet Ammo Storage: For some very vulnerable tanks, this can take the place of the stabilizer/vents/GLD for specific vulnerable tanks, the Panther and the Centurions.

Additional Grousers: Third slot for the Panzer  4. Decreases ground resistance, making the Panzer more overall mobile than the Sherman or T34

Binocular Telescope: Only for excellent long-range mediums. It's also removable without gold, for cheapskates

Camo: only combine with binocs for cheapskates

Setups-

Generally you're going to want to use one of these combos

The Brawler (Rammer/Stabilizer/Optics) - first choice, generally the best choice. Unless you have a specific playstyle for a tank, use these

The Flanker (Rammer/Vents/Stabilizer) - For tanks that are either exceptionally good brawlers or fast long-rangers, this reduces your spotting capabilities for marginal fighting ability

The Sniper (Rammer/Vents/Optics) - for long-range tanks with low aim times. Maximum spotting ability and fighting in exchange for making your shoot-on-the-move ability go to pot. Tanks that like it - Think things like the Centurion. This is also the go-to for low-tier mediums

Autoloader Spotter (Stabilizer/GLD/Optics) - Gun stats suck for autoloaders and they can't mount a rammer. This setup helps.

Autoloader General (Stabilizer/GLD/Vents) - Exchanges your spotter role for improving your tank-defining pain gun

Low-tier Flanker (Rammer/GLD/Vents) - if your view range is  "don't bother", which happens at low tier, this helps maximize your damage

The Cheapskate (Rammer/Camo/Binocs) - for when you want your tank to be bad but your silver balance to be good

Consumables - First thing you need to figure out is what is your tank's weaknesses and what you need to use most. Then figure out what you can afford. In general. All premium consumables can be bought with silver by hitting the 'Y' button. Never pay gold.

Note on ammo - always have enough premium ammo to kill your tank and then some. And you really don't need as much HE ammo as the game gives you. For auto loaders, 2 full clips of premium works out best

Small First-Aid Kit. Cheap, good, life-saving. This is one of your go-tos. In any case, all tanks should carry at least one kit.

Small Repair Kit. Saves your tank from being completely crippled, or often exploding. Like first-aid, all tanks should have at least one kit.

Manual Fire Extinguisher. If your tank is vulnerable to fire or you're looking to round out a cheap setup, this is it. For most tanks you're using both small options and a manual extinguisher

Food - If your tank doesn't catch on fire a lot, this is generally the go-to for the third slot instead of the extinguisher. Expensive but makes you deadly.

Large Kits- If you get one for free or can afford it, you can replace the extinguisher to "double up" on kits to have more protection from criticals. Also you can just replace the small kits with these, big spender

Auto Extinguisher - Have a tier 9-10 tank that has a fire hazard. This. THIS. ALL OF THIS. The auto is a massive upgrade over the manual.

Crew Skills - Always start with your preferred order of (optional - Mentor, first if at all) Repairs, Sixth Sense, and Brothers In Arms. If you have the gold, train repairs, then retrain it into a perk and train repairs again. This is so you can have the effect of repairs while training instead of nothing when you train a perk.

After that, consult my helpful guides for individual nations of tanks (or PM me for Russian tanks, I keep NOT doing that one). But generally, the best ones are Clutch Braking, Recon, and Situational Awareness.

VGC MadMacx #2 Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:09 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16927 battles

Good info.  Thanks for the information and keep up the good work.

I agree with everything except some notes on Crew Skills.

I like to train Mentor FIrst and get the XP bonus while training then swap out Mentor of Sixth Sense when trained.  Then I train Mentor again in order to get XP bonus and swap out to BiA when trained.  Then I will Train Repairs.

I also concur that Recon and Situational Awareness are critical to winning the spotting war.

But why Clutch Breaking?  I am not very familiar with that skill.

MrWuvems #3 Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:23 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles
Clutch braking for mobility. It's really, really great for precision driving or compensating a weakness. A T44 is insane with it, while a Panther becomes "not a land whale"

TangoLit #4 Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:04 AM

Major

• Players
  • 29362 battles
  • [BANE]

View PostTheMEagle, on 15 March 2015 - 06:23 PM, said:

Clutch braking for mobility. It's really, really great for precision driving or compensating a weakness. A T44 is insane with it, while a Panther becomes "not a land whale"

Ha ha... that's awesome.  I've always thought it handled like a cow, but "land whale" will do.  :P

Git gud here:  bit.ly/tankguide (I should read this).  On Track list.

8000 is better than 11090 - shaunw2010

VGC MadMacx #5 Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:58 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16927 battles

Thank you for the advice sir.  I am going to try it on one of my Crews and put them in the damn Panzer V/VI.

Many people love this vehicle but I have been unimpressed with its handling.  It is difficult to ram when everyone can out maneuver you.

I look forward to learning from your experience.

jUsTiN CaT #6 Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:02 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 34056 battles
  • [TWAF]
What is your view on having "smooth ride" and "snap shot" as the medium crew skills?

ScrubbyBits #7 Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:34 PM

Major

• Players
  • 34366 battles
  • [-SJW-]
Good stuff, I agree with it all.
3 MARKS

SirT83 #8 Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14156 battles
  • [LEGVI]
Sweet post.. Thanks! 

The Norwegian Penguin

MrWuvems #9 Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:06 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10629 battles

View PostjUsTiN CaT, on 16 March 2015 - 06:02 AM, said:

What is your view on having "smooth ride" and "snap shot" as the medium crew skills?

Lower priority second tier or third tier skills. Great to have, synergizes well, but just not a priority.

Also tagged with Medium, Guide, Equipment, Crew, Consumables

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users