German tips mediums guide

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Cyrex005 #21 Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:29 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 10393 battles
  • [BNKR]
Now just need to decide on continuing with the lights through the RU to the PTA or go through the Indie after the AufPanther.

Aschenblume #22 Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:32 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 25362 battles
  • [DP]

When I played the Indien panzer it was a lot of fun. the armor is pretty troll and the gun was pretty good.

Than the RU came along and that is also fun. very fast. small. and a good gun which is very accurate on the move. 

comes down to a matter of preference. 

If I were to take one or the other for a hundred games I would take the RU cause I like speed.

-Dreadnought-

Signature by Desyatnik Pansy

Super-Unicum - WN8 - 3200 -- Check out my tank guides for the: ConquerorLeopard 1STB-1Chieftain,

TigerCenturion Mk. 7/1Jagdtiger, and T26E4 Super Pershing

IV NITROGYN VI #23 Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:42 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 7090 battles

I would suggest rammer, vert stabs, and optics for the traditional leopard player. If you are extremely aggressive you can drop optics for vents for the maximum reload. Otherwise, this is spot on.

I was going for the leopard and got the awful panther, I got tired of it. It's good for ramming but it's a big target and the gun isn't so great. Now I'm going through the batchat line and liking it significantly better. I can't wait to get to the batchat, and then maybe continue my leopard grind

T-62A Three Marked

Solo player

Aschenblume #24 Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:44 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 25362 battles
  • [DP]
Yeah I switched out the GLD for Vert Stabs. Still run the Ventilation though.

-Dreadnought-

Super-Unicum - WN8 - 3200 -- Check out my tank guides for the: ConquerorLeopard 1STB-1Chieftain,

Cyrex005 #25 Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:47 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 10393 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostAschenblume, on 24 January 2016 - 05:32 PM, said:

When I played the Indien panzer it was a lot of fun. the armor is pretty troll and the gun was pretty good.

Than the RU came along and that is also fun. very fast. small. and a good gun which is very accurate on the move. 

comes down to a matter of preference. 

If I were to take one or the other for a hundred games I would take the RU cause I like speed.

Thanks. Might just finish the grind and go the RU route. Just because I like the speed I have with the Bulldog. But also I have not seen the Indie in game. So might change when I come across one in the field and see it in action.

CaptSAH #26 Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:25 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 12767 battles

Did the Leopard just get nerfed recently or something?  After the long grind, I have now put well over 100 matches in it, and the thing is schizophrenic.  And it all boils down to this line from the Wiki describing the Leopard 1 as boasting "the most accurate gun in the game".  BOVINE EXCREMENT!! 

Yeah, it's the most accurate gun in the game when it behaves itself.  Which happens about half the time, just like every other gun in the game.  The other half?  You get situations like I had just last night on Siegfried Line. 

I sneaked across the West edge of the map avoiding all enemies (surprisingly their ENTIRE TEAM went to the town, including arty!).  I ended up in the original enemy spawn point, and looked back across into the edge of the town where I found 3 fat, juicy targets in a T57, a T-62, and a Centurion 7/1 all bunched up fighting someone inside the town.  They were about 450 meters away.  All three had their sides exposed to "the most accurate gun in the game".  I had plenty of time to completely aim in on the rear of the T-62 and fired.  The shot sailed higher than a Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn fastball, completely missing the target (and the reticle, for that matter).  Oh well, RNG, right!?  I next took careful aim at the T57, putting the middle of the side of that tank in the center of my completely aimed reticle.  All I got for my trouble after pulling the trigger was a worm-burner into the ground that might have hit his track.  So now "the most accurate gun in the game" is 0-2 despite being fully aimed at stationary targets that filled the aiming circle.

At that point, the targets started moving (they had killed my teammate in the town).  But that's no problem with "the most accurate gun in the game", right?  I saw the T57 charge another of my teammates through the "front door" of the town and head towards the field coming right back at my position.  He was pointed right at me and moving slowly.  Once again, I carefully aimed my shot, putting the center of the circle just a smidge below his lower plate (in case he was moving a little faster than I thought) and pulled the trigger.  "The most accurate gun in the game" responded by sending a shell sky high, dinging it off the very top edge of his turret and doing no damage.  Strike three!  And I was out as he spotted me shooting at him and I had to run for my life (which ended shortly thereafter as I was then 1 v 6). 

This *stuff* happens at least every third round or so I play in the Leopard 1, and on every other tank in the game quite frankly.  I accept it on other tanks (I was warned about the ISU-152's "troll cannon" behavior) because they don't rely so much on accuracy.  When the game decides "not today, buddy!" for your gun in those other tanks, you might still be able to fight.

But the accuracy of the gun is a main selling point for the Leopard 1, and when it works, the tank is a gem to play!  As an example, in the very next round, I picked up about 3200 damage and 1900 assisted which included putting two shots into the back side corner of an E-75 that was trying to peek-a-boom from behind a rock but left a smidge of his butt hanging out.  In that round, "the most accurate gun in the game" lived up to its billing.

The result is that I now have a love/hate relationship with this tank.  When the gun works, I love it. When RNG mysteriously decides that it's just not going to be my round, I'm a useless bag of hit points.  Why is "the most accurate gun in the game" subject to the same bizarre random gun handling as the most notorious howitzers?  I guess if it's just as random as any other tank's gun, then they're all equally accurate, and can all claim to be "the most accurate gun in the game".

Aschenblume #27 Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:32 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 25362 battles
  • [DP]

I think youre just suffering some bad RNG. The tank isnt very accurate on the move at long distances is the issue. But it does great snap shots and long distance support fire perfectly.

STB-1 on the other hand.

lol.

-Dreadnought-

CaptSAH #28 Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:40 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 12767 battles

View PostAschenblume, on 02 February 2016 - 10:32 PM, said:

I think youre just suffering some bad RNG. The tank isnt very accurate on the move at long distances is the issue. But it does great snap shots and long distance support fire perfectly.

STB-1 on the other hand.

lol.

Totally agree with the bad RNG.  But that's my entire point.  The trade-off on the Leopard 1 is supposed to be that you give up any pretense of armor, settle for "near-best" view range and mobility, and you get a gun that isn't nearly as vulnerable to RNG.  But in practice, I find that the gun is just as liable to crazy behavior as any other tank (at least every other round).  The proof is in the results.  My hit ratio on the Leopard 1 is virtually identical to my hit ratio on ALL my tanks, including some with supposedly crazy-bad accuracy (like the Soviet heavies with their 122mm guns).  You may counter that I probably play the Leopard 1 differently and take more long-range, chancy shots than I do in a heavy.  That's true, but I play the ISU-152 as basically a sniper from long range (it's too soft and doesn't have the hit points to ever brawl, even against lower-tier tanks... and that's not even considering its poor track rotation).  My hit ratio with it is virtually identical to my ratio with the Leopard 1 (73% for Leopard 1; 72% for ISU-152). 

I guess all I want is two things:  1. to have someone from Wargaming admit that there's a flag set at random when you start each match that is basically a true/false "Your gun will not shoot where you aim it this round" (OK, OK... I realize how silly this sounds.... much more likely is that RNG for accuracy simply has a much bigger range than is publicly acknowledged, which is more noticeable some rounds than others).   2.  Recognition that so long as this exaggerated gunnery RNG is in the game, certain tanks (those that are supposed to rely on accuracy, particularly the Leopard 1) are underpowered.

r0b0wnz #29 Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:23 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3687 battles
how are peoples matches in this tank lately? ive had the worst matchmaking ever in this tank.I just don't know what to do, the first 50 games were decent but then all of a sudden I lost about 15 or so games in a row with maybe an average of 2500-2800 damage of those games combined. idk if its just scrub teammates maybe I should've done something different in these games? I usually sit back and snipe but more times than often I find my self the only one on a flank or the last person alive and only get 2 hits then die. its just loss after loss after loss and so on. so am I just playing the tank wrong or what?

AfterTimeAdrift #30 Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:40 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10579 battles

View PostCyrex005, on 24 January 2016 - 10:29 PM, said:

Now just need to decide on continuing with the lights through the RU to the PTA or go through the Indie after the AufPanther.

I would recommend picking up the Indien Panzer as a fun tier 8 to play, while the RU does teach the playstyle of both the PTA and the Eventuall Leopard 1.

100% genuine Scotsman

Struggling to keep a full Garage since 2013.

Orbtastic1 #31 Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:05 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 39197 battles
  • [UK]

I run optics/rammer/vert stab as I do for most of my mediums.

The accuracy is great but I find to get the most out of it you need the time/space rather than be rushing. For example the last game I had an E5 was duking me and he got the drop on me 3 times but I was more concerned with moving and aiming than firing. I suppose the lack of armour does that. Then 30 seconds later I bounce a shot from a fully aimed camped Jageroo from 100m, what's the chances?

I tend to try play the vision game with poorly armoured mediums. Yeah you can maybe use your speed etc but it tends to leave you open to abuse more and your accuracy suffers. Just a personal preference.

Directly compared to the STB, the gun handling on this is much better. I unlocked the BatChat at the weekend, that's a little different but I think the Leo has the drop on gun handling but obvs you can't compare the clip.

Happy to be rid of the PTA, awful tank.

Orbtastic1 #32 Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:07 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 39197 battles
  • [UK]

View Postr0b0wnz, on 27 February 2016 - 12:23 AM, said:

how are peoples matches in this tank lately? ive had the worst matchmaking ever in this tank.I just don't know what to do, the first 50 games were decent but then all of a sudden I lost about 15 or so games in a row with maybe an average of 2500-2800 damage of those games combined. idk if its just scrub teammates maybe I should've done something different in these games? I usually sit back and snipe but more times than often I find my self the only one on a flank or the last person alive and only get 2 hits then die. its just loss after loss after loss and so on. so am I just playing the tank wrong or what?

I'm finding matchmaking and teams particularly bad the past six months or so. frustrating especially in tanks with no armour, no point spotting something if your team sits out in the open or doesn't shoot what you're spotting or bunch together on a map, or yolo down one flank etc etc.

Orbtastic1 #33 Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 39197 battles
  • [UK]

I've been running it out again recently, I had already swapped out vert stab for WAR because well, even with safe stowage I was getting fed up of taking ammo rack dmg.

So my set-up is currently:

optics, WAR, rammer.

lge repair, fire ext & first aid

recon, sit aware, BiA, camo, snapshot, camo, repairs, track mechanic, sixth sense etc etc.

perm camo paint job(s)

I'm finding the gun handling slightly trolly without vert stab - Has anyone much experience in this tank to justify whether:

dropping optics (in lieu of the equipment/skills) for vert stab and swapping fire ext out for chocolate is viable or not?

oboeslayer #34 Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:03 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 16829 battles
  • [JK]

View PostOrbtastic1, on 13 March 2017 - 02:40 AM, said:

I've been running it out again recently, I had already swapped out vert stab for WAR because well, even with safe stowage I was getting fed up of taking ammo rack dmg.

So my set-up is currently:

optics, WAR, rammer.

lge repair, fire ext & first aid

recon, sit aware, BiA, camo, snapshot, camo, repairs, track mechanic, sixth sense etc etc.

perm camo paint job(s)

I'm finding the gun handling slightly trolly without vert stab - Has anyone much experience in this tank to justify whether:

dropping optics (in lieu of the equipment/skills) for vert stab and swapping fire ext out for chocolate is viable or not?

I use Vert Stab, Gun Rammer and vents. For consumables small medkit, Large repair kit and food. I've never caught in fire before and the large repair kit keeps me from getting ammo racked. The gun handling improvement from the food and vents is very noticeable.

"Evil is relatively rare. Ignorance is epidemic." - Jon Stewart

Orbtastic1 #35 Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:05 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 39197 battles
  • [UK]

I left my STB with optics/rammer/vert stab and food in place of fire ext and been happy with the set-up. I think I've been set on fire just once and that was from a T57 anyway who engaged me from the side while I was duelling with a Patton and dumped his clip into me.

I tried the set-up I described before and just couldn't really get it to work for me with the Leo.

I tried optics/WAR/vents but have issues with gun handling.

Tried optics/WAR/rammer but gun handling was worse (!) which is no surprise

Tried WAR/rammer/vertstabs but found I kept getting spotted more due to drop in view range

Tried WAR/rammer/vertstab and swapped fire out for chocolate but found I was still being out spotted and worse still, being set on fire

Tried dropping WAR and found I was taking ammo rack dmg and remembered why I put it on in the first place.

I might try yours but tbh, I'm finding large repair kit does zero to offset ammo rack dmg insofar as the supposed 10% boost and it's a bit reactive using it i.e. I may as well continue with my original set-up.

I might swap out one of the skills for fire and drop fire ext for chocolate. I lose money on most T10 games anyway and have about 140 million silver so not like I can't afford it.

I really don't want to drop WAR because the thing is literally made of ammo racks.

might try war/rammer/vents with chocolate

This along with the STB and BChat are my worst WR at tier ten, absolutely horrendous despite me having good games in them. I've managed a mastery in the Leo so I know I'm not driving it like a spaz and I've had great games in the STB too but it's only so good if you can stay unspotted and essentially, unhit by big guns because everyone queues up for a go once you're spotted or isolated and most hits damage crew or modules.

Orbtastic1 #36 Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:07 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 39197 battles
  • [UK]

I already had chocolate on, swapped out a couple of skills for the two firefighting ones and dropped optics for vents in addition to rammer/war. Was ok, had some good games and hit/penned a lot more than I have been doing, even snapshotted a couple on the move.

Might drop the rammer for vert stab.

Had about six games in a row, got [edited]-ended by an E3 as I was trying to flank him and he set me on fire.

Orbtastic1 #37 Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 39197 battles
  • [UK]

vert stab, war & vents plus chocolate is working for me. Reload is still sub 8 seconds and the gun handling is as I would expect. I've had a few 7-8k dmg games in it where I only bounced a couple. View range is still great with that combo & skills so I'm happy with that. I accept being set on fire is an occupational hazard of kiting and at least frontal hits don't set the fuel on fire like it does with the AMX 30.

All good.

oboeslayer #38 Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:50 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 16829 battles
  • [JK]

View PostOrbtastic1, on 05 May 2017 - 07:18 AM, said:

vert stab, war & vents plus chocolate is working for me. Reload is still sub 8 seconds and the gun handling is as I would expect. I've had a few 7-8k dmg games in it where I only bounced a couple. View range is still great with that combo & skills so I'm happy with that. I accept being set on fire is an occupational hazard of kiting and at least frontal hits don't set the fuel on fire like it does with the AMX 30.

All good.

I am glad you are finding some success in making the Leo 1 work for you. For me it's quickly becoming a favorite as it's one of my most consistent performers. Had a 9800 damage game in it on Westfield and 8500 game on himmelsdorf blizzard. It's ability to reposition makes it a dream to play for anyone with good map awareness.

"Evil is relatively rare. Ignorance is epidemic." - Jon Stewart

Orbtastic1 #39 Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:28 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 39197 battles
  • [UK]

Exactly, I had a great game where admittedly I wasn't doing the spotting but the accuracy and pen were really putting the hurt on the reds but unfortunately despite doing 8k we lost and folded. I eventually got spotted and that's where I suppose I should have relocated but when you're up against two T57s there's kinda no point because you'll be dead before you've even got 10m.

I really like it. That, along with the STB and the BC are my favourite mediums, despite the poor stats.

Much better gun handling now, last game was 12 hits, all on target and all pens. Couple of cheeky snap shots too. I've swapped the rammer on the STB out for vents now and finding that's a little better (was already running rice or whatever).

Might go back to coffee on the BC to help with the gun handling.

jaamgans #40 Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:47 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 21381 battles
  • [MAD1S]

How is this tank affected by the last patch which buffed up all the lights. Must surely impact on this tank and play style.

Also tagged with German, tips, mediums, guide

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users