Military Charity Essay Contest

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Guest_Niko Power WGA_* #1 Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:42 PM

• WoTC Tournaments Contributor2

Tankers!

Keeping up with the Military Appreciation Month theme, we would like you write a short essay about why the military and those who serve are important to you. Try to keep it around 500 words or less. You can include personal stories or your overall sentiment about the armed forces. This is one of the few written contests in which I will allow editing. Please use spell check.

Top 10 entries will get 1000 Gold.

Rules:

• All players are welcome to join the contest but each player can submit only one entry.
  • Entries must be written exclusively for this contest.
  • Entries must comply with the moral, ethical, and legal standards, as well as with the Forum rules.
  • Wargaming gains exclusive rights to the contest entry when you post it on the forum, as outlined in the “10. User Generated Content” section of the Terms of Service

The submission deadline is May 29 at 06:00 PST (May 29 13:00 UTC).

RedRider300 #2 Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:36 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 11317 battles
I don't like u.  (I hate writing):sceptic:

made by Violet Viper x

John 3:16

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Guest_Niko Power WGA_* #3 Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

View PostRedRider300, on 22 May 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

I don't like u.  (I hate writing):sceptic:

There are two contests. ;)

BR M95 OE #4 Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15915 battles
Military Essay

- Make It Relevant - Let Each Rank Give More XP - Pls WGA!

BR M95 OE #5 Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:56 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15915 battles
My entry above.

- Make It Relevant - Let Each Rank Give More XP - Pls WGA!

emperordennis #6 Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:11 PM

Captain

• Ambassador
  • 16368 battles
  • [THE]

Are there any rules for writing an essay?

Is it meant to be about fact or opinions? And is there a certain order in which things are discussed? 

Very good guide: Beta582's Guide to Everything

All WoT Console tank characteristics (including hidden stats): WoT Console Encyclopedia

Quazakaharet #7 Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:55 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12963 battles
  • [BLT]

My entry (actually is 502 words, but the 2 in parenthesis can be removed if you wish, i didn't mean for those 2 words to count)

Spoiler

CookieMan0 #8 Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:01 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 14926 battles
Spoiler

I managed 500 words exactly, mostly about a family member.

Garage at present: 71 tanks - 14 tier X - 35 premium

Precision Gaming member (B team AF) — follow me on Twitch and YouTube!

3 Marks of Excellence: VK16.02 Leopard, T-54, M103, M41 Bulldog

SKyMDX #9 Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:02 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14887 battles
  • [RIFP]

my essay:

Spoiler

Some wise words from Quickybaby: "You are the only constant factor in your games. So your win ratio over a large number of rounds is going to be completely dependent on your skill as a player to influence the outcome of the match."

Uranprojekt #10 Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8338 battles
Spoiler

My entry. It's about the right length :P

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

I write things, things which can be found in Historical Discussions. Things like this article on the Soviet invasion of Manchuria in 1945 and this article on the Spanish Civil War.

To those of you who don't molest the English language, I salute you. For everyone else, there's this handy link; http://www.reverso.n...elling-grammar/

Guest_Niko Power WGA_* #11 Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:02 PM

View Postemperordennis, on 23 May 2015 - 03:11 PM, said:

Are there any rules for writing an essay?

Is it meant to be about fact or opinions? And is there a certain order in which things are discussed? 

Check your pm. :)

zog424 #12 Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:48 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 10903 battles
  • [LIGHT]
What does the Military mean to me?
Every Veteran's day at my school, (private school) Veterans come to talk about their time in the military. Their stories inspire me to want to be in the military, specifically a Navy Seal. It's just amazing how people risk their lives for us and our country, even now Men and Women fight to protect us, some of us don't even acknowledge this... - Enter Salute Emoji - ( Can't use Emojis on my phone.)
Thank you Men and Women for putting your life on the line to protect us and our country.

Tis the season to eat bacon.

marshall1327c #13 Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:31 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 6781 battles

Military members, and the military in general, mean a great deal to me. I am a Soldier, a 14 year veteran in the Oklahoma Army National Guard. As such, I am totally committed to Soldiers, ESPECIALLY my Soldiers. Training troops is my mission and my privilege. We answer the call to combat, and we answer the call of our communities as well. My Soldiers mean everything to me. Other Veterans and Soldiers hold a dear place in my heart as well if they don't hold a place in my Section. I love being a Soldier, a Section Chief, and a Veteran. And I will never take for granted the young men and women at my side, not to mention the ability to blow stuff up! ARTILLERY!

My submission

Balthasar250 #14 Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:26 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 48920 battles
Spoiler

Death's garden awaits

emperordennis #15 Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:04 AM

Captain

• Ambassador
  • 16368 battles
  • [THE]

The assignment was to write an essay about why the military is important to you. I however have decided to write about something different. I wanted to write how time effect the memory of war and cruelty and how it makes us forget, however bad that may be.

I hope I don't offend anyone that had to mourn a fallen loved one.

Spoiler

Went slightly over with 518 words because I had to explain how we remember on the 4th of May. Otherwise I would have been below, I hope that's not a problem. :)

I did have to cut certain parts out, so I hope everyone will still understand what I'm trying to say

All WoT Console tank characteristics (including hidden stats): WoT Console Encyclopedia

emperordennis #16 Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:40 PM

Captain

• Ambassador
  • 16368 battles
  • [THE]
Wow if it stays this way it's easy gold for everyone. Only 9 entries so far :P

Guest_Niko Power WGA_* #17 Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:28 PM

View Postemperordennis, on 26 May 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

Wow if it stays this way it's easy gold for everyone. Only 9 entries so far :P

You know how these go. The flood comes in the last 2 days. :)

FreedomBird66 #18 Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:05 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2713 battles

"What Does Memorial Day Mean to Me"

Well every Memorial Day I am reminded of my father who served in the Navy during World War II, he was a first class sailor during the war in the South Pacific; when Pearl Harbour was attacked. His destroyer, the U.S.S. Radford took on much damage during one of the sea battles. During this battle he watched his friend get killed in a boiler room explosion just minutes after he left to go up on deck. I feel that this is what gave him the courage to do what he did next. He went up on deck and manned the machine guns, taking out 5 enemy planes; which earned him the purple heart. He never was the same after seeing all that devastation when he returned from the war. He passed away in May 0f 1995 after a battle with liver cancer due to drinking; but will always be a Hero in my heart.  I have to end this now as I'm getting choked up thinking about it.

Joe

Edited by FreedomBird66, 26 May 2015 - 10:10 PM.

Special thanks to Violet Viper x   for using my idea to create this signature      Locust, M5 Stuart, M4A3E8,T-1, T-14, T-20, T-67, M8A1, Chaffee, Wolverine,Hellcat, Sexton I 

UNDERSIEGE24976 #19 Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:29 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14984 battles
  • [4HIM]

All that we enjoy today rests on the shoulders of those who served. Those who without any thought for themselves, stood on some frontline thousand of miles away, who ran head long into on coming fire, who stormed up that beach head without hesitation; while their friends were cut down, and who held that line against overwhelming odds. They placed all of their hopes and dreams on the line to defend what they felt was most important. These brave men and women fought for Freedom and a way of life, that today, is taken for granted. Many of them had families of their own and plans for their future, but set those aside and went, when called, without question or complaint. These brave people put their bodies in the line of fire without any thought for themselves. They bleed for God and Country, for family and friends...for you and for me.

Why is our military important to me? Without them, there would be no one to stand on that front line, thousands of miles away, to defend freedom. No one to stand watch on a wall, in some far away place we've never heard of, no one to say to us... "Rest easy my friend for you are safe,  I am watching over you tonight."

These words were spoken in a different time but I believe they ring just as true today.

"But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate, we can not consecrate, we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth". Abraham Lincoln.

It has been said that freedom is not free...it's not. It is stained with the blood of Heroes and Patriots. May God bless the United States military.

Edited by UnwindingEmu24, 27 May 2015 - 03:52 AM.

<a data-cke-saved-href='http://i.imgur.com/AY2u5eG.jpg' href='http://i.imgur.com/AY2u5eG.jpg' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/AY2u5eG.jpg</a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/A...AY2u5eG.jpg</a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/A...5eG.jpg</a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'>http://i.imgur.com/A...jpg</a></a></a></a>

UNDERSIEGE24976 #20 Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:34 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14984 battles
  • [4HIM]

View Postemperordennis, on 26 May 2015 - 05:04 AM, said:

The assignment was to write an essay about why the military is important to you. I however have decided to write about something different. I wanted to write how time effect the memory of war and cruelty and how it makes us forget, however bad that may be.

I hope I don't offend anyone that had to mourn a fallen loved one.

Spoiler

Went slightly over with 518 words because I had to explain how we remember on the 4th of May. Otherwise I would have been below, I hope that's not a problem. :)

I did have to cut certain parts out, so I hope everyone will still understand what I'm trying to say

Outstanding!!

<a data-cke-saved-href='http://i.imgur.com/AY2u5eG.jpg' href='http://i.imgur.com/AY2u5eG.jpg' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/AY2u5eG.jpg</a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/A...AY2u5eG.jpg</a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/A...5eG.jpg</a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'>http://i.imgur.com/A...jpg</a></a></a></a>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users