• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

Sgt Becket FEAR #1 Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:42 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9758 battles
  • [ROSA]

Hello fellow tankers,

While there is no substitute for experience, this guide is intended to give a basic understanding of how to approach combat in your Tiger I. I am not an expert of this game but I would like to believe that I have sufficient experience with my own Tiger to make a guide for those that might be a little frustrated with their experience with their own Tiger.

First off, the Tiger's strength lies in its ability to adapt to most situations without sacrificing combat effectiveness.

In this way, it operates in a similar manner as a large medium tank. With a top speed of a little under 40km/h and with 870 horsepower in its top configuration, your Tiger certainly can get you to where you need to go in a timely fashion. This means that you have the option to relocate to adapt to a changing battlefield, which is somewhat unique for a heavy tank. Utilize this if you see that your original battle plan is not going to work.

For a Tier 7 Tank, the Tiger has amazing gun-handling prowess. The .34 aim dispersion, 2.70 aim time, and 8.96 RoF of the Lange 88mm makes the Tiger a formidable foe both from afar and close range.

With armor that is only 100mm on the front and 80mm on the sides and rear, the Tiger is not the most heavily-armored tank on the battlefield. This is World of Tanks, not WWII. Make peace with the fact that this Tiger is not the same tank that terrorized the Allied Tankers of WWII. However, do not be discouraged because the armor is thick enough to allow the Tiger to side scrape and, at long range, is enough to bounce incoming rounds from smaller caliber guns. In addition, the mantle of the final turret is surprisingly bouncy and gives the Tiger a small advantage in hull-down position. Do not expect to compete with the T29 in this way but, against the occasional small to medium-caliber round, it can give the enemy a nasty surprise.

Now, the key to success with the Tiger is knowing when to be cautious and when to be aggressive.

A single Tiger has the potential to cause 14,000-16,000 damage due to the 72 shells that it carries. The lower alpha damage of the 88mm round means that your Tiger will lack the punch of its Heavy counterparts. In addition, your tank will lack the intimidation factor that other Heavy Tanks enjoy due to its soft hull and smaller gun. The silver lining to the Tiger is that it enjoys a large HP of 1500 in its fully upgraded form. However, the thin armor means that even a single tank can quickly reduce you to absolute ruin if you are not cautious. Know that, unless you are in the company of a well-known and feared tank such as an E-75, the enemy will prioritize you once you are spotted due to the relative ease of penetrating your hull, which has earned the Tiger the unfortunate title of "Free XP and Silver Pinata".

In matches, you should attempt to follow this pattern:

1. At the beginning of the match, shadow your advancing allies.

The trick is to be just out of the line of fire but NOT out of the fight. Do not camp in one spot. A common misuse of the Tiger is as a "sniper". The Lange 88 certainly has the capability to hit targets at long range but you are a Tiger Tank. Your team is relying upon you. A static position runs the risk of not being able to see spotted enemies and thus means you are a waste of a tank on your team. Shadow your allies as they move forward and then mercilessly hammer away at the distracted enemy tanks as they are spotted.

Keep your gun working at all times. Do not get tunnel vision. If that IS has moved behind cover, keep an eye on it but scan to see if other targets are exposed. Deal damage to as many tanks as possible to maximize your contribution. The lower alpha damage of your 88mm means that you need to get more hits than a typical Heavy Tank to cause the same amount of damage. This is where your 8.96 RoF will make itself known. Do not let up.

2. When the match is entering its final stages and your team needs that last knock-out punch to finish off the weakened enemy, this is the time to become a true Heavy Tank. Use the HP that you have preserved by staying out of the line of fire to shrug off the enemy's vain final stand while you overwhelm them with your RoF. Claim victory for those that have fallen so that you could be in the position to finish it in their name.

or

If a front is collapsing, use your mobility to get over there and reinforce your overwhelmed allies. If it is clear that you will not be able to get there in time, position yourself so that you can either prevent the collapse from resulting in a defeat or buy time for your teammates by dealing as much damage to the enemy tanks that got through the flank for as long as you possibly can. This does not mean that you should sacrifice yourself unnecessarily in a final stand. If possible, engage the enemy and then fall back a short distance multiple times.

Recommended equipment:

• Vents or Optics
  • Rammer
  • Gun Drive

Recommended Perks:

• Sixth Sense
  • Repairs
  • Deadeye
  • Snap shot
  • Off-road driving
  • Mentor (optional)
  • Brothers-in-arms
  • Clutch Breaking
  • Situational Awareness
  • Recon
  • Smooth Ride (if paired with Snap Shot)

Recommended Supplies:

• 52 AP
  • 20 APCR (just buy all 72 and then keep the rest in reserve so that you don't get hit by a large ammunition bill after battles. You so rarely need these that one time of 72 will last 20-30 matches easily)
  • Small or large repair kit
  • Small or large first aid
  • Small or automatic fire extinguisher

I apologize if this Guide is lacking. This is my first attempt at one. Let me know what other information I can add that would help.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask :)

Commander of Rosa "Queen of Hearts"

Need help with the Tiger I? PM me or see my guide: Becket's Tiger Guide | Short novel about Rosa: Rosa: Queen of Hearts

ExaminedGORE #2 Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 3924 battles
  • [SKREB]

I have never told you this, but I skipped Tiger I and choosed Panther I while grinding E-100 line 

Anyway, one day I might grind the Tiger I just for the sake of having experience it in fullest. Will use your tutorial if If I ever do.

Check out my DeviantArt. World of Tanks fanarts || Fractals || My childhood sketchs  : )  

"I can't even be bothered to reply anymore the tinfoil hat is to thick to get through" ~ A dapper kiwi, 05 October 2015

Sgt Becket FEAR #3 Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:55 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9758 battles
  • [ROSA]

View PostExaminedGORE, on 29 July 2015 - 06:50 PM, said:

I have never told you this, but I skipped Tiger I and choosed Panther I while grinding E-100 line 

Anyway, one day I might grind the Tiger I just for the sake of having experience it in fullest. Will use your tutorial if If I ever do.

Aw xD

Thank you. I am here if you need extra help if you do grind the Tiger :)

Need help with the Tiger I? PM me or see my guide: Becket's Tiger Guide | Short novel about Rosa: Rosa: Queen of Hearts

Radio FIyer #4 Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:33 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17712 battles
I like your guide. I used a lot of your advice from "Stop the Tiger Abuse!" to great effect. Call me superstitious, but I feel like I was doing too well, as apparently the WoT Lords have seen fit to always place me in tier IX games. In the beginning I got a lot of tier VII games, and my W/L was very good. Not so much anymore...

Hello! I'd like to hide in a bush and watch you.

... Sorry. that was my inner Luchs talking.  : \

Sgt Becket FEAR #5 Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:37 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9758 battles
  • [ROSA]

View Postthe Mota Boy, on 29 July 2015 - 07:33 PM, said:

I like your guide. I used a lot of your advice from "Stop the Tiger Abuse!" to great effect. Call me superstitious, but I feel like I was doing too well, as apparently the WoT Lords have seen fit to always place me in tier IX games. In the beginning I got a lot of tier VII games, and my W/L was very good. Not so much anymore...

Thank you :)

Glad to hear that it helped!

Tell me about it :/ Rosa is hardly ever Top Tier anymore in matches. Though, the MM is nice enough to put me in Tier 8 dominated matches sometimes instead of 9 xDD

xXBurtonJamesXx #6 Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:42 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19437 battles

+1 on review.May I mention the stock grind is bad,but well worth it in the end.

Sgt Becket FEAR #7 Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:48 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9758 battles
  • [ROSA]

View PostxXBurtonJamesXx, on 29 July 2015 - 07:42 PM, said:

+1 on review.May I mention the stock grind is bad,but well worth it in the end.

Yeah...Rosa and I try to forget those days :(

I would not trade her for any tank though. She is well worth the struggles.

xXBurtonJamesXx #8 Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:36 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19437 battles

Abit off-topic,but I've often wondered (as many obviously have) ,what WW2 would have been like had The Reich had this particular tank at the onset of hostilities?

Sgt Becket FEAR #9 Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:47 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9758 battles
  • [ROSA]

View PostxXBurtonJamesXx, on 29 July 2015 - 10:36 PM, said:

Abit off-topic,but I've often wondered (as many obviously have) ,what WW2 would have been like had The Reich had this particular tank at the onset of hostilities?

Luckily, we will never know right?

RabidSasquatch0 #10 Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:15 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 15778 battles

View PostxXBurtonJamesXx, on 30 July 2015 - 03:36 AM, said:

if you want a historical answer, it would run out of gas.

You think we have bad fuel usage today.......

Knobchuck #11 Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:23 AM

Major

• Players
  • 13777 battles
  • [SKYTT]

Seriously people listed to this dude.

Here is the tiger tank guru

I know ive posted this before  (credit where credit is due), but the last time this dude gave advice I jumped straight into my tiger and rolled out.  Boom bottom tier.  Panic.  No calm down follow the advice and bam, see below.  FYI this was pre the recent Tiger buff!!!!!!!

Sgt Becket FEAR #12 Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:30 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9758 battles
  • [ROSA]

View PostRabidSasquatch0, on 29 July 2015 - 11:15 PM, said:

if you want a historical answer, it would run out of gas.

You think we have bad fuel usage today.......

Na bro, the transmission would have seized before then...which isn't actually a joke. The Tiger's own manual stated that no Tiger returns to base under its own power.

Mattbrit Force #13 Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:33 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18218 battles
  • [REA]
Very nice guide, the Tiger I is my favorite German tank in this game. Its my go to tank for when I want to have fun with the game :) When I first got it, it was of course not very good (that stock cannon...), but when I got it fully upgraded, it became loads of fun. I am not the best player with it, but I can still finish top of the board with it in tier 9 games from time to time lol. In the hands of a skilled player it is a lethal killing machine indeed.

Indomitable spirit...Never give up never surrender!

Sgt Becket FEAR #14 Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:50 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9758 battles
  • [ROSA]

View PostMattbrit Force, on 30 July 2015 - 03:33 AM, said:

Very nice guide, the Tiger I is my favorite German tank in this game. Its my go to tank for when I want to have fun with the game :) When I first got it, it was of course not very good (that stock cannon...), but when I got it fully upgraded, it became loads of fun. I am not the best player with it, but I can still finish top of the board with it in tier 9 games from time to time lol. In the hands of a skilled player it is a lethal killing machine indeed.

Yes, the grind is extremely frustrating but worth every bit of it once you get the Tiger completely upgraded.

I have used my Rosa effectively against Tier 10 tanks so she is indeed quite the little monster ^_^

TraumaticTopCat #15 Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:57 PM

Private

• Players
  • 1326 battles
Thanks!!! Great guide. Mainly thanks to this and some forum surfing I've managed to get my first mark of excellence today. Only problem I have is getting some of the other higher tier tanks on my team to actually do something so I can shadow them.

Sgt Becket FEAR #16 Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:11 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9758 battles
  • [ROSA]

View PostTraumaticTopCat, on 04 August 2015 - 04:57 PM, said:

Thanks!!! Great guide. Mainly thanks to this and some forum surfing I've managed to get my first mark of excellence today. Only problem I have is getting some of the other higher tier tanks on my team to actually do something so I can shadow them.

No problem. Thank you :)

I'm thrilled that it helped you get your first mark :)

xD yeah those high tier tanks often have issues actually contributing. Most high tier players are pretty good though. Some...not so much. Sometimes, you just get stuck with the campers and meh players.

I hope you are enjoying your Tiger :)

Tank on and spread the glory of the Mighty Tiger! :honoring:

IronBallsMatt #17 Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:04 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 10629 battles

I called mine Siegfried

ScaryJoey484330 #18 Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:23 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12276 battles
  • [-ODA-]
You forgot to add "Don't let an E-25 hug you."

:trollface:

Never underestimate the stopping power of a tree.

RabidSasquatch0 #19 Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:26 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 15778 battles

View PostScaryJoey484330, on 06 August 2015 - 05:23 PM, said:

You forgot to add "Don't let an E-25 hug you."

but with recent tiger buffs, it can outmaneuvere an e25

ScaryJoey484330 #20 Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:45 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12276 battles
  • [-ODA-]

View PostRabidSasquatch0, on 06 August 2015 - 02:26 PM, said:

but with recent tiger buffs, it can outmaneuvere an e25

Not all the time.

:playing:

Never underestimate the stopping power of a tree.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users